Tubes Flat Tire (Poll)

I had two flats within one month last year, both on my Whizzer, and both the back tire (naturally). One was when the rear hub spoke flange broke and drove spokes into the tube, the second when I caught a slight gap between the concrete road surface and the asphalt shoulder while riding. It caused a split in the seam of the tube at the valve stem. I've since gone to thorn-proofs, as changing pulling the rear wheel to change a tube on the Whizzer is a royal pain.

Not me, I hope my luck is not that bad. That would be real frustrating.

Foam tubes cause higher stress loads on each spoke as the wheel cycles, shortening the life of the wheel, esp if you hit any bumps that compress the tire enough so that the rim strikes the ground hard.

I tried them once on a kids bike and thought they were "mushy". Perhaps a foam wrap over a standard tube might give a nice ride.

I averaged 1 or 2 flat tires a month at first! :eek: Also had a couple blowouts where I had to remove the tube from around my spokes and sprockets.

After going to No-More-Flats foam inner tubes, 0 flat tires, but have had to replace two back rims over time due to a long, rough dirt road at home breaking my spokes. Now have a Staton/Skyway Tuff-Wheel for the back, and No-Flat inner tube and it is 100% reliable now. No flats or bent rims!

I've been riding my motor bicycle for about 1.5 months. I got a flat yesterday, a piece of wire, probably from the parking area where I ride to start up the bike.

It is so true that you need to keep at least a $10 pump and a couple tubes with you.

I really want a touring kickstand now. I used to just turn a bike upside down, but the gas tank makes that a bad idea plus its heavy.

After getting a metal sliver in my hand, I started using a cheap dishrag and bike or work gloves. Also I carry tweezers for extracting thorns.

It's always a good idea to find the leak.... mark your valve stem location on your tire for reference.... then look the tire & rim over....for the thorn, spoke, burr....what ever caused your flat in the first place.

tip.... drag a tissue around the inside of your tire.... a thorn or sliver of metal...whatever (in your tire), will snag a bit of tissue. Remove the thorn & you're good to go. This will prevent a repeat flat.

Last edited:
Do you know why it is usually the back tire? Same on cars.

The front tire throws objects up in the air as it passes over it.
Guess what happens next.

A long time ago I put a mud flap right in front of the rear wheel of my 750 Honda after more than one rear tire flat. I think I blew the battery up on welding a bracket to hang it on. Battery vent tube was right there and never realized it had such a thing. Didn't get any more rear flats though/

Happycheescake,
Do you have nothing else to do but dredge up ancient threads and respond to them? And then respond to your response? 2-3-or 4 in sucsession? Sheesh man, turn off the computer and go for a ride now and then. Then report your findings.

I ride that **** thing 6 days a week. Your name says it all; you are rude.

Last time I just posted a few questions on a topic, someone got cranky and told me to use the search function and see if there were any existing threads.

So thats what I did.

I like this website because I have learned a lot and met some nice people on here. BTW I type about 120 words per minute, and can multitask because I have a pretty good computer. I usually have music playing on here or a show, and sometimes I like to read other things in between reading current events articles, talking on social networking sites, or shopping. I do "report my findings"; that's usually why I am responding to a thread or posting photos on my user page.

I wish you would just ignore my future posts.

I know.... I'm dragging this further Off Topic.....but,

The old threads contain a bunch of great info, that would otherwise become lost, if they were not searched out & responded to.

This ancient thread contains a video link in post #1, which is both informative & amusing.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=5385

Speaking of tires, :rolleyes: the best tires, tubes, slime, liners, etc all help, but, We will still get a flat tire once in a while.
Be Prepared.

I ride that **** thing 6 days a week. Your name says it all; you are rude.

Last time I just posted a few questions on a topic, someone got cranky and told me to use the search function and see if there were any existing threads.

So thats what I did.

I like this website because I have learned a lot and met some nice people on here. BTW I type about 120 words per minute, and can multitask because I have a pretty good computer. I usually have music playing on here or a show, and sometimes I like to read other things in between reading current events articles, talking on social networking sites, or shopping. I do "report my findings"; that's usually why I am responding to a thread or posting photos on my user page.

I wish you would just ignore my future posts.

My name says it all: I'm NUTTSY!Rude is subjective. Actually, my sig. says it all. So, all this multi-tasking and super computer and music and shopping explains alot...FOCUS MAN! YOU ARE DISTRACTED! You are talking to yourself. I would Love to ignore your posts but sometimes the threads you post in ARE of interest to me. And oddly, just sometimes, YOU may have a valid point. Go figure?!
SRDAVO...
I disagree! While the old threads can hold much info if searched for, to respond to posts that are a year old??? OR more??? Sometimes these people being responded to are no longer here. I read one a while back where the approx. 2yr. hence responder wished the OP a speedy recovery on his injury. Not only was the OP not around anymore, but the injury was either well healed or the OP was....we won't go there. However the link you posted is in itself interesting as not too long ago (maybe 2 or 3 weeks) a post was made on the suggestion forum, by someone (from OZ?) who wanted a TEST imposed on NEWBS. Well, the link you posted SHOULD BE THE TEST. OR AT LEAST REQUIRED READING; OR AT VERY LEAST A STICKY! And note too that the OP (in your link) asserted that it was old but still of interest. (paraphrasing).
If a person is going to dredge up the past, then simply preface the bump by implying that "this is an old thread, but..." if they have something new to add.
See the 'fire hose, tire liner thread, for example. The new poster started with... Old but...
If you, SRDAVO, as a moderator would like me to take this issue somewhere else, let me know either here or in a PM as I will not sully this thread anymore with my personal arguments. Note too, that I'm not posting multiple responses to myself here as SOME do. There is an EDIT function for changing/adding to that which you may have forgotten to mention. POSTING AND YOU 101
NUTTSY GONE

Back