Doing the installation myself

csmith8827

Local time
3:05 PM
Is it possible? I'm interested in making my bike gas powered as I'm trying to go like 20miles (there and back) to this place like twice a week to make some extra money. I know nothing about bikes or motors whatsoever. I read somewhere someone saying it's too difficult if you're zero percent mechanically inclined. I mean I've changed a spare tire before, built Custom PCs, and assembled furniture. Is this that much harder? I was looking at Amazon kits online for like $100 or less or $130 max. This is the bike I have.

bike

Would I need to change anything I have on it? It has "road tires" not mountain bike. I'm really interested in doing this...I just want to make sure it'll work and it's not going to breakdown on me after I do it. There are a few people in the area that charge for the Installation and stuff and so I'm thinking about maybe going that route I just don't know how trustworthy they are and shelling out $300 when they may do half-ass work or my bike stops running after a week sounds iffy. I really don't want to have to bike the 20-25 miles manually two times a week...

Is it possible? I'm interested in making my bike gas powered as I'm trying to go like 20miles (there and back) to this place like twice a week to make some extra money. I know nothing about bikes or motors whatsoever. I read somewhere someone saying it's too difficult if you're zero percent mechanically inclined. I mean I've changed a spare tire before, built Custom PCs, and assembled furniture. Is this that much harder? I was looking at Amazon kits online for like $100 or less or $130 max. This is the bike I have.

bike

Would I need to change anything I have on it? It has "road tires" not mountain bike. I'm really interested in doing this...I just want to make sure it'll work and it's not going to breakdown on me after I do it. There are a few people in the area that charge for the Installation and stuff and so I'm thinking about maybe going that route I just don't know how trustworthy they are and shelling out $300 when they may do half-ass work or my bike stops running after a week sounds iffy. I really don't want to have to bike the 20-25 miles manually two times a week...
If you can build ikea furniture, you can put one of these bikes together. A monkey could be trained to assemble one. The question is, are you good at taking on the advice of others and applying it in the real world? Are you able to learn and grow, or do you know everything already?

It's all the little details that people don't think about, and/or people that try to cut corners, or think they know better than the dozens of people that came before then telling them to not do something.

I assume you are at least competent enough to put one together. If you can build a computer, then this shouldn't be a huge stretch. There is still going to be a learning curve, and these bikes require a good amount of attention and maintenance, especially at the start.

Will the down tube shape on this bike present any issues for this guy?

A staton friction drive with a a quality engine will be the most reliable. Just the mounting kit: https://www.staton-inc.com/store/3....8-mm-clutch-drum-friction-drive-kit-complete-

Staton is trying to get rid of these Solo two strokes. One guy on youtube hates them but a member on here likes them. more research doesn't hurt. https://www.staton-inc.com/store/3....c-mix-at-50-to-1-two-cycle-engine-kit-3.0-hp/

Post in thread 'Solo 154 FD Review' https://motoredbikes.com/threads/solo-154-fd-review.60989/post-582319

Before investing time and money, have you looked up your legal statutes for motorized bicycle/moped? If you don't know your statute numbers then you don't know your laws. My state Tennessee statute number is 55-8-101(35).

In the USA some states don't enforce their guidelines as long as you're obeying traffic laws. However, other states are very strict on enforcing their guidelines. Many have invested time and money to only find out their local area won't allow them to use their bikes on the public roadways.

Last of all, have you ever used a moped in traffic? This is about the closest thing to operating a motorized bicycle in traffic. One major issue to be aware of is from a distance you look like a pedal only bicycle. Vehicles will pull out in front of you not realizing how fast you're going. A loud horn can be a life saver. You really should have all the operating equipment a motorcycle/moped has.

Here's some videos on how to safely operate a bicycle in traffic. Being a good MB'er starts with being a good cyclist first. Be sure to watch all 3 videos.

Back