Engine won't turn over when pedaling

Gearnut, My clutch was nearly non-existant, an ever so slight grab that would turn the motor 1/2 revolution only if i backed the bike up first. I just came back from a nice cruise up scenic hwy. 11, a very hilly area, and was impressed by the way she pulled the hills without a loss of rpm's or slip.

I am glad to hear that you got your clutch fixed! Your hilly route certainly was a good torture test.
I have now learned that the friction material that some of these engines are being made with is junk, something that I have not come across until now.
Thank you! I really like learning new things.
On one hand it does surprise me, but on the other hand it fits right in with the sporadic quality control that these kits suffer from. Perhaps it is the result of a recent change in manufacturing materials? Considering that in this thread alone there are 2 clutches with identical problems and neither were repairable with common procedures, I bet this will be a more frequently occurring thread subject.
I am really happy to hear that the tire sidewall friction pads are working out well.
I ask of you again to please keep us informed on how well they hold up in the long run.
I can easily make my own if necessary, and if they prove to be an up grade then you have done the MB community a big favor!

It's my pleasure, for sure. Nothing better than a home fix that costs zero. The sporatic quality motor kits you mentioned made me think of all the posts i've read, some saying their bikes will only go 30mph or so, while others dont go that fast. I'm flying down the road way too fast for me, look down at my speedo and see it hit 41mph, throttle back to 37 and find 30mph as smooth and buzz free as can be. Who knows, but it would make me afraid to buy one, taking a chance on getting a dud.

I have an update on my clutch issue. I tried the trick BGF sent me after contacting them. They said to take the outer clutch disc and smack it with a hammer on the inside face, forcing it to dome out towards the flower nut side. This trick worked! This gave more adjustment on the flower nut (but I also had a chunk of tire sidewall ready to go if it didn't work!). I was able to drive it around last night for about 2 miles without any slippage. Looks like I'm on the path to finishing the tuning and fine details now! Thanks for all the help here! I've printed of all the tips for future reference.

That is good to hear! Congratulations!
It is also a mighty strange fix, at least to me........
But hey, it did the trick.

An update on my sidewall made clutch pads. Today i had one of the pads come out of its hole and jamb in between the plate. I stopped and unscrewed the cover and put the pad back in place, a little chewed, so i came home and re-smoothed them all, replaced a couple....meanwhile i got the idea to re surface the old pads with tire patch material. Much easier to cut 1/2" circles out of a patch, coated each pad with glue, let it set up, peeled the backing off the circles and laid 'em on there. Then custom trimed up each edge with scissors. I used the $2 patch kit that comes with the rough-up metal piece and little tube of glue. If i have another problem , i will switch over to my re-treads. I'll Keep you all posted on the outcome.

Well, the retread idea is no good, the patch pieces came off while i was adjusting the clutch....a dremel tool with a sanding disc on it smoothed and rounded my pads to a perfect fit. I've been on 2 cruises with no troubles, but i e-mailed boygofast and he called me and sent me a new set for $10 bucks delivered. If you need round pads, he is the only one that sells them.

Back