Engine was running fine and the next second it doesn't start.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out but first I want to get the bike running reliably. I'll let you know about the gas leak tomorrow and I tightened the tensioner and I'm not having any problems but I'd rather eliminate it if I can.

You said that you lost one of the gas tank mounts, do you mean one of the studs?
If so, the extra rattling around while it was falling out may have caused the welded in nut to get a hairline crack around the welded area and slowly leak. These tanks are known to leak from the welded in nuts, brand new out of the box. It does not happen often, but it is not unheard of. They can be that weak.
I do not know the size of the studs, but I'll look at my tank and compare a stud on it to one of my metric taps.

Edit: I re-read your post and it sounds to me like you tried to use electrical tape as a thread sealing tape on the fuel valve threads. If so, it will leak, guaranteed.

Last edited:
I'm talking about the U shaped brackets that hold the tank in place.

Yes, I did use electrical tape but not as a permanent solution. I just used it because I wanted to see if that's where it's leaking from. Once I figure out if that's the leak area, I'll fix it permanently.

Alright so today there wasn't a drop of gas on the frame or on the floor. I guess the electrical tape is working. I'll end up fixing that properly but for now the layers of electrical tape are holding well.

As for the tensioner, it seems to not move as much now since the chain has slack in it.

My bike starts up pretty well now, I need to hit the prime button about 10 times, choke it and start it. After starting, I lock the clutch and slowly lower the choke until it's off and revs without dying. The first 100 feet or so are rough but after that it's as smooth as can be. Rubber washers between the engine and frame really help. I highly suggest doing it for anyone even if it requires removing the engine. You'll see such a difference.

KCvale, for the CDI keylock, the kit you are making won't fit properly with the mounting location and frame on my bike. I'm planning to make one myself that just strips a wire from the CDI going to the engine. My question is, what is the lock you are using called? I'm having some trouble finding a lock that turns on/shuts off an electric current.

Back