drive sprocket

Soulfly

Local time
3:09 PM
Quick question,is there anyway to run a 44 tooth sprocket or higher when you have disc.brakes without having to do much modifications?

Quick question,is there anyway to run a 44 tooth sprocket or higher when you have disc.brakes without having to do much modifications?
You do have some options. You keep the 36t on the rear wheel and run to a Strumey Archer S3X IGH that's being used as a jackshaft transmission. It'll be like having a 58t, 48t, 36t in the rear with this shifter bike build.

The other option is to have the engine 10t running to a double 20t on the left side of a jackshaft which then runs to the 44t+ rear wheel. On the right side of the jackshaft you can put a disc rotor. You'll have to weld nuts to the seat stays to be used as bosses to mount the brake caliper. You'll have to use a solid tensioner, it can't be spring loaded. Nor do I recommend using a rag-joint with this setup. Mount the rear sprocket to a disc brake hub.

Unlikely.. the caliper on a 203mm rotor just clears a 36T.
Some run 220 pitbike rotors but I’m not sure a 44 with work on a 220 mm rotor.
The ideal part would be a drum brake rear hub. Couple that with a disc brake front and you'll have all the stopping power you need.

It can be done though, it all depends on how wide the drop out are, or can be stretched.

The ideal part would be a drum brake rear hub. Couple that with a disc brake front and you'll have all the stopping power you need.

It can be done though, it all depends on how wide the drop out are, or can be stretched.
I think pretty wide.Hmmmm. got to look that up.

I have a 40 T with a 203 rotor. Not an easy job and just barely clears.

Attachments

• Caliper1.jpg
    Caliper1.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 18
Back