DIO Reed Valve help and tuning

Sloppyslopster

Local time
2:49 AM
Currently trying to finish up my bike and I'm super close to finishing it, but I'm having a major issue I just can't seem to resolve! At the moment my bike won't idle and I think it has something to do with the DIO reed valve I have on the engine. I came across another post about another guy having the same problem, but it was no help because it turned into a fighting match between two guys arguing about drilling a piece out of a carb of something. At the moment my DIO reed valve started leaking :/ so it's going to be hard to tune and I have a 21mm PWK carb. My bike seems to run fine when it hits the needle and main jet, but my bike won't idle at all. I'll post an image of my engine it that helps at all. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4816.jpg
    IMG_4816.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_4817.jpg
    IMG_4817.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 145
If you look into the throat of the carb, is there a little space between the slide and a floor of the venturi?

That carb should have a couple ground tubes that help vent the bowl, looks like you have one going to two nipples.

Seems to be hooked up correctly to me for the tubes. That's how all the diagrams and the instructions say to route them.

The main problem I've found with reed valves is that if you run the carb WAY too rich especially when dialing in your fuel they flood and then you can't get the engine to run until you clear all the extra fuel

If you can find a way to make your carb slightly more level that might also help since it's at a pretty good angle it might be dumping fuel into the reed.

Maybe this tuning guide and instructions for setting up the pwk carb might help?

Sweet bike, you really got that engine tucked in for bed in theat frame.

will it idle with choke on? If it will you could be having an issue with a clogged main or pilot jet. If it won't idle with choke I think neodymium might have the right idea.

Hey guys thanks for the great suggestions! Definitely gonna give some of these a try and get back asap. Also I’m thinking about switching my DIO Reed valve to one of those two valve pyramid looking ones. Looks like a lot of the really strong engines run run instead. Anyone have one and can recommend it? Thanks.

Sweet bike, you really got that engine tucked in for bed in theat frame.

will it idle with choke on? If it will you could be having an issue with a clogged main or pilot jet. If it won't idle with choke I think neodymium might have the right idea.
It does not idle with choke on and it slows down as I let off the throttle and as the bike slows down the rpms drop with it.

It does not idle with choke on and it slows down as I let off the throttle and when the bike slows down completely.
Then it's not an air leak. If it was an air leak or the fuel was too lean it would run or idle easier with choke at full.

When you put the choke on you're blocking the airflow and forcing it to pull more fuel. If it bogs down then It's flooding out because it's getting too much gas at that point and if it was a clogged jet or something with the fuel supply it wouldn't bog down by increasing the fuel intake

Then it's not an air leak. If it was an air leak or the fuel was too lean it would run or idle easier with choke at full.
Yeh I think it might be running too rich and the was definitely more prominent with the main and needle jets. I dropped them a bit and it cleared up quiet a bit, but it bogs down/ cuts out when I full throttle it quickly.

Yeh I think it might be running too rich and the was definitely more prominent with the main and needle jets. I dropped them a bit and it cleared up quiet a bit, but it bogs down/ cuts out when I full throttle it quickly.
That carb should have high speed /wot adjustments. Start there if you've figured out that it's not running too lean and it idles then you need more gas at full throttle

Back