(Chinese) 2-Stroke Ban, and Do We Care?

Do you care about the 2-stroke ban?

• Total voters
that's what i told him on the phone...truthfully, duane takes some of it personally...i can see why, he is pretty dedicated to his market & to the motorsport...but i made it clear none of the discussion is about anyone in particular. i told him this thread is only talk amongst folks who are still trying to figure it all out, & that noone is trying to make him justify his personal or business stance on the matter. to justify my taking this public, dax, i want to make you aware that we are aware of your effort to bring us a "made in the usa" kit that can use a more efficient set of engines :)

did that make sense?
Yes, it does, augi. :cool: I'm NOT out to hammer on anyone. But, I think we need to be honest with ourselves. Just because we would like to have something be true doesn't make it so, unfortunately...:)

I just saw some invalid stuff being tossed around that really needed to be discussed.

Last edited:
Why worry? Pollution from cars is only a problem if it is a problem. The point I'm trying to make is that if there is so not much smog in cities anymore, there is no need to make a big fuss about a handful of users running two stroke engines. My engine doesn't smoke at all at 16-1 synthetic. The fact remains as fuel costs continue to rise auto manufacturers will have to increase efficiency, and that will reduce emissions.

P.S as far as global warming is concerned two strokes would cool the climate as they release more particles into the air and produce less carbon dioxide.

BSA

I do care, regardless of the fact that I do own a 2 stroke bike. It was a budget decision for me, because I don't have a lot of expendable income. I do plan on my next build being a 4 stroke.

We at the bottom of the food chain are still the ones that corrupt the planet, correct! Most of the nations of the world don't give a flying rats tail about the planet, we in the US, and a hand full of others, are just about the only ones doing anything. It is not the oil that is in the fuel that is making the engine pollute, it is the ports that are open together, the raw fuel just passes through. Some think electric is the answer, but the power just comes from a coal powered plant in Arizona. For about $30,000 you can put a set of solar cells on the home 20 and you can then charge your outfit and be really green, I have a friend that just did it. The electric car my son is helping develop will cost $110,000, with the carbon credits it will sell for $60,000 or less. It goes 150mi on a charge charges in 10 minutes and will go 95MPH. Watch Living with Ed to see it. I know all about the numbers for the little 2 smoke, but I doubt we could make much of a dent in the planet with the dirty little engine. I don't feel bad running this engine. I would get a 4 stroke if one were available, not a weed whacker engine. Any piston engine without a computer and a cat pollutes. Have fun, Dave
PS: Remember it is the job of the government to make us the fall guy for everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
if a poor-boy can get hisself a "vehicle" for under $500, and operate & maintain it on a realistic budget, then he'd be able to get & keep a decent job...if enuff individuals pull themselves back up by the bootstraps because of motoredbikes, then i see that as an economic-stimulus-package that just might stick to the country's ribs.

The biggest polluter in the world is industry...it's up to us to clean-up our act but it's also up to them to really clean-up their act.
"Enjoy yourself,it's later than u think"

There is a saying that goes something like this;

"If you get too hung up on the minute particle of any issue, you'll miss the obvious" !
This was mentored to me by a programmer a few years ago when I had a go at computer programming and got too in depth on how the electricity is transformed to a Application on the monitor via programming.

I was missing the obvious in this case, all I wanted to do is create a program to add certain things up. His point was, who cares HOW the Sum total of x
+ y = z occurs from the PC's power supply, just get it to add up correctly with the programming tools available, and let the engineers take care of the of those details that have no direct reverse impact on what I wanted to achieve in the first place.

It seems with the 2-stroke and pollution issue on how much pollution per gallon of fuel as compared to something else will add up is meaningless when compared how much it costs overall to get from point A to B and back to A when comparing a 2-stroke and a Jumbo Jet to travel the same distance
There are only 3 elements one has over the other, that is ego and prestige and Time.

The point is, does it work, does it solve a issue of getting us from point A to point B and back as cheap and as economical as possible, and who gives a rat's razoo if some turkey is at the lights in a expensive gas guzzling state of the art super dooper hi-way snoper and gets to point B 30 seconds quicker ?

He, or she is mortgaged to the hilt to pay the lease on the latest gizzmo and will die of stress.
One less to worry about who contributes more pollution than a dozen of us all riding the same concept of things.
Think of the plastics and all it takes to manufacture the latest wiz-wang-bango-mobil and compare what it takes to manufacture a 2 stroke for our bikes to arrive to the same destination, and back.
Think of and compare the entire person's life span and expenses incurred to eat a loaf of bread if we all buy the same loaf of bread form the same bakery and compare the cost it takes to earn the dollar to buy the bread whether we to travel to work in a Lear Jet or a 2-stroke motoredbike.
Do the math on the big picture ( Total Mass of all it takes from raw material to end product, including human requirements), not just what comes out the exhuast pipe of a 2-stroke bicycle.

The Ancient Greeks had a saying to, or words to this principle.
"We have all the blueprints to make machines, but then we will be slave to the machines, better we walk than push the wheel".

Meaning, the Romans think they invented the wheel and presented it to the Greeks, but the Greeks refused to push the wheel, the wheel being the machine cos the Greeks already had their version of a wheel, in thought and picture ! Then they thought, WHO is going to push the wheel and what if it breaks, which means more work and no play, better to go fishing and who can run faster ! That is why the Greek invented the Olympic Games, instead of the wheel and used sun power to light the torch and no pollution
Heat = Energy from the Sun !!

Bolts missing - I think you have it all summed up in a nut-shell. Use the Happy time bike with a bucket tied to the front wheel to put the fishing rod in and ride to your favorite spot and go fishing. OK Ill do it. My sign ( GONE FISHING ) Have fun, Dave

MMMMmm...If you take a catalytic converter and open it up you find these cool little pebbles in there kinda like what rabbits make.
Then if you pour some into your stock muffler and cap it off...I wonder if that would lower emmisions?
That's it. I'm gonna open up a whole bunch of catalytic converters and pour it into a whole bunch of happy time mufflers and I'm gonna make a KILLING cause those things are pretty expensive.
...I wonder if I can buy just the pebbles.....mmmmm....

MMMMmm...If you take a catalytic converter and open it up you find these cool little pebbles in there kinda like what rabbits make.
Then if you pour some into your stock muffler and cap it off...I wonder if that would lower emmisions?
That's it. I'm gonna open up a whole bunch of catalytic converters and pour it into a whole bunch of happy time mufflers and I'm gonna make a KILLING cause those things are pretty expensive.
...I wonder if I can buy just the pebbles.....mmmmm....

Maybe something like this?

http://wfld.en.alibaba.com/product/...rter_for_Small_Engine/Metallic_Catalysts.html

Create an encasement that can be hoseclamped onto the end of our mufflers and viola.

Back