Two Stroke Initial Pre-Mix Question

I wasn't implying the overall quality of the oil, it becomes a moot point after a certain price point.
The insurance aspect I was referring to is why not use a bit more? What is there to to lose except saving an expensive motor from premature failure and a couple dollars?

That's what I meant by don't be cheap. I should have added, don't be cheap with the stuff.

My question to those that want to run less oil mix is ( WHY) ? What is it you have to gain? Oil does
Three things, of coarse it lubricates , it also cools, & cleans. The biggest killer for air cooled 2 stoke
engines is HEAT. Synthetics are great but even though many of them have a higher flash point, it is
not enough to make up for not enough oil. Just stick to the engine manufacturer recommended ratings.
A little more won,t hurt especially in hot climates.

🪰Fly

Excessive oil actually increases combustion temps because they become "lean" air/fuel ratio and can spark knock more often due to less octane.

Of course you'd have to use way too much oil to do that but it's worth mentioning "too much of a good thing."

Excessive oil actually increases combustion temps because they become "lean" air/fuel ratio and can spark knock more often due to less octane.

Of course you'd have to use way too much oil to do that but it's worth mentioning "too much of a good thing."
We are only talking about proper amounts of oil, the problem these days seems to be that people are running these things on too little oil like they were running a weed whacker.

(Excessive oil actually increases heat because viscosity is higher & it make engine run hotter.) I addressed that in my
Early post. You need to richen the mixture a tad. I do not know why I posted here on this thread, when it falls on deaf
ears. That is why I quit posting on these oil mix threads. All my years it never changes, people love to argue n this
Subject, it never changes. I welcome a intelligent discussion, but I refuse to argue, for it serves no purpose. I,m
done with this topic. Do what you THINK is right it,s your engine. I just hope the ones that truly wanted good sound
Info can sift threw the BS . Have a nice day, I have more productive things to do with my time than read this thread.

🪰 Fly

(Excessive oil actually increases heat because viscosity is higher & it make engine run hotter.) I addressed that in my
Early post. You need to richen the mixture a tad. I do not know why I posted here on this thread, when it falls on deaf
ears. That is why I quit posting on these oil mix threads. All my years it never changes, people love to argue n this
Subject, it never changes. I welcome a intelligent discussion, but I refuse to argue, for it serves no purpose. I,m
done with this topic. Do what you THINK is right it,s your engine. I just hope the ones that truly wanted good sound
Info can sift threw the BS . Have a nice day, I have more productive things to do with my time than read this thread.

🪰 Fly
Oil viscosity can increase heat slightly, but not melt down an engine.

More oil, less fuel=lean condition, more oil less octane=predetonation.

Combine the two- pop goes the weasel.

I used to run 45,000 RPM 2 stroke Nitro engines, it was super easy to see changes in fuel, temps, gearing etc. because they would melt down if you did something slightly wrong.

They sold "break in fuel" that had low nitro, high oil, I saw that stuff ruin more engines than anything because they would have to run so fat to stay running you would either overheat it because it wasn't fat enough, or it would load up and hydrolock.

Just stating this so people don't think more oil==more better.

Oil viscosity can increase heat slightly, but not melt down an engine.

More oil, less fuel=lean condition, more oil less octane=predetonation.

Combine the two- pop goes the weasel.

I used to run 45,000 RPM 2 stroke Nitro engines, it was super easy to see changes in fuel, temps, gearing etc. because they would melt down if you did something slightly wrong.

They sold "break in fuel" that had low nitro, high oil, I saw that stuff ruin more engines than anything because they would have to run so fat to stay running you would either overheat it because it wasn't fat enough, or it would load up and hydrolock.

Just stating this so people don't think more oil==more better.
To a certain extent more oil is better, but there is no need to be excessive

To a certain extent more oil is better, but there is no need to be excessive
I'm just saying don't go below 16:1 or something crazy.

The less oil you can run without sacrificing any engine life, the better because it will burn cooler, cleaner and faster.

With no cooling fan and sloppy tolerances I'd say thats 30:1 run hard and maybe less if you baby it.

Back