catnip cdi coil question

Jayraye39

Local time
4:09 AM
I recently had my catnip CDI coil burn out due to a jump in spark at the plug itself I have an old ATV that has the same style ignition coil and I was planning on using that however on the ATV the ground is connected to the two ears on either side of the coil that have holes in them for mounting and the positive is hooked to the single tab but on our bikes depositive is hooked to one of the ears with the holes in them and the negative goes to the single tab why Is It reversed on our bikes does it matter if we hook it up either way
17000938748717225954832033636049.jpg

Catnip coil? Scoobydoo coil's are leaner n meaner!

So I was able to swap out the cdi coil from my polaris 325 atv. My catnip cdi box turned out to be fine. So no more stock cdi. I also didnt take a chance and hooked the coil up to the bike like it shows. Im guessing this is for a DC current and swaping the conections would be an AC current. only thing i could come up with but i could be wrong. Ill See how she rides this afternoon with the new coil. It is a tad bigger also which should produce a stronger spark

so for giggles and chits i decided to hook my coil up like it was on the atv i took it off. that being the ground on the ears with holes in them and the positive on the single little tab. Holly cow I went from only hitting 41mph to a staggering 46mph. So my coil was actually wired backwards. im not sure if its just the brand coil or what but if you hook up a stand alone coil like its supposed to be wired and not how the chinese tell you. your bike has alot more power. atleast in my case it does with a polaris coil

so for giggles and chits i decided to hook my coil up like it was on the atv i took it off. that being the ground on the ears with holes in them and the positive on the single little tab. Holly cow I went from only hitting 41mph to a staggering 46mph. So my coil was actually wired backwards. im not sure if its just the brand coil or what but if you hook up a stand alone coil like its supposed to be wired and not how the chinese tell you. your bike has alot more power. atleast in my case it does with a polaris coil
Every coil will operate how it was designed to be connected. Proper operation depends on the design of the coil, not the engine it’s connected to.

Every coil will operate how it was designed to be connected. Proper operation depends on the design of the coil, not the engine it’s connected to.
I know its not the motor. since I had the catnip box I was still using. Didnt know if the direction of current made a difference with the box. why I asked if anyone knew the proper wayto hook a mixmatch up. but nobody said anything and I hooked it up both ways and found it only matters which way a particular coil i wound. chinese seems to be backwards. The Polaris one I used was the normal direction with +to+ and -to-

Back