Australia: Changes to MB rules

The 'pedelec', as you call it, doesn't allow power without pedalling below 6kph, was what I meant.
My point was that since there are no mass-produced units with this capability as far as I know, the lawmakers won't make that a pre-requisite.
a

Haven't seen the Sanyo eneloop Hybrid Bicycle then i guess?

Guess I haven't.
So it doesn't exceed 200W, allows power-only to 6kph, then cuts off power if you're not pedalling and allows a maximum (power-assisted) speed of 25kph?

I've seen it now. Doesn't look too impressive and only uses a small bank of Ni-MH batteries. This bike would require very active pedalling to keep the battery charged. Does have regenerative braking, though. Didn't see any specs yet, or a description of exactly what each of the 3 assist modes does. (Of course, for release here under the proposed legislation, any 'illegal' modes would need to be disabled in such a way as the operator couldn't swap to a 'power-without-pedalling' mode.)
Can you point me in the right direction for specs and a description of it's operating modes, pedalless?

I just found some specs - 250W (Might be acceptable under proposed legislation)
No mention whatsoever of power-only to 6kph!
It's 3 modes are 1:1, (power to pedalling ratio), 2:1, (for steep hills) and automatic.
It seems that they've now dropped the Sanyo Eneloop Ni-MH batteries and sensibly switched to Lithium-ion, but 0nly 5.7Ah capacity with a 25V motor. Piece of junk at the price - $2300US + deliv..

Why did you refer me to this thing - it won't fit the proposed legislation and doesn't even compare to my $1600AU electric bike, if only I remove the twist-throttle so I can't power it without pedalling.
(Mine is 200W and has 1:1 PAS.)

I should add that in the specs for the wonderful Sanyo Eneloop Hybrid Bicycle there was no mention of a 25kph max speed, either.

Last edited:
Steve that E bike of yours sounds pretty good , what model is it ? Id like to see what is available out there , what I have seen has not impressed me much , I like the sort of power and range that Aussie Jester / Kim has built up , not into the bulk of his bikes tho .

It's a 'Panther', from ZBike on the Gold Coast here in Oz.
Mine is the version with alloy frame and 10Ah Lithium-ion battery.
30kph absolute max and 32km range, both measured. Weighs in at 27kg.
Nothing like the power of Kim's bike, but just the same, I rarely need to pedal.
Done about 600-700km on it now without a problem.
There's a pic of it in the 'My Rides' album on my profile page.

No its all back to how it was made at RSE , honest injun . If I cause a drama , at the very fast speeds I ride of around 15 to 20 klms , that I have to PEDAL to reach , I guess I will have face the consequences , mate , in all probability, it will be the other way around , the feckers try to kill me everytime I take the bike into town.

Greetings Simon ,

Just thinking about the outcome if the cops DID challenge your bike & then confiscate it to test .

Seems you would be clever enough to offset there pedal to power issue question trap ? ;)

I'm on your side don't forget , love to see the cops get a reverse ruling though the courts , we could then hit them with wasting tax payers moneys if they try it again , they would be told to back off motorized bikes !

Regards Bob.

Got in touch with the RTA yesterday to check on any updates and revisions.
They actually replied.
To date, at least, the 2008 rules in VSI 27 Rev1 still apply, (in NSW).
(They won't tell us if or when they change, it'll just happen.)

Attachments

• vsi_27_-_mopeds_and_power-assisted_pedal_cycles_july_2008.pdf
    83.3 KB · Views: 374
Most interesting. I just finished reading it.
There's some pretty stupid stuff in there, it'll be interesting to see what, if anything, transpires.

One thing is very clear - ICE bikes appear to be doomed.

If they adopt the idea of a compliance label, my electric is out, too, unless it can be examined and labelled as compliant.
It complies with much of the proposed stuff, though.

Still, that document is over a year old and nothing has been done in NSW yet.
We can only wait and see.....

(I was surprised to see that it was prepared by the NSW Centre for Road Safety and not the RTA.)

Last edited:
I just did a search on the author of that document, Gabriel Denoury, and came up with a couple of interesting links.
This topic is being followed at Sydney Cyclist and any updates to the laws will more than likely be posted there.

Here's a link to the discussion from when the above doc was released.
RTA seeks assistance to define Power Assisted Pedal Cycles
A 'PAPC Focus Group' is mentioned. I wonder if it's possible to join so that we're updated if anything changes.
(Gabriel Denoury's email address is listed.) gabriel_denoury@rta.nsw.gov.au

On the same site:-
Changes to E bike rules

They also have an Advocacy and Policy section, hopefully where any changes will actually be announced, if we're lucky.

Last edited:
Back