April '09- 1,000 plus miles w/ RS 35cc....

Edit note: my pix are still scrambling, maybe I've exceeded some megabyte limit, but I just removed them all to reload in sequence...a LOT of hassle, with dialup AND tornado damage happening all around us overnight. Some pix may appear below post, because I have chores to do !!)

Rif wrote: On a side note, have you noticed that each road, and day, has it's own rhythm, rhyme, and meter; it's own spirit, soul and personality? I found that to be very intriguing, and once you find that rhythm, how it kinda shapes that day's journey...

I found an easy way for carnivores to get that local flavor. At breakfast order the link sausages and at other times, try the bar-b-que sauce variations. But by all means, avoid those bland franchise eating joints !!

Your bike is an automatic conversation ice-breaker, and the lost look in your eyes as you peruse your nappy looking map is an instant way to see why America works, there are helpful people everywhere.

DAY #1

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/7-osVbj_UR

Route:

AL- Boaz-Collinsville-Centre-Lake Weiss-Cedar Bluff -(passing two potential scenic Little River Canyon intersections)

GA- Rome-Kingston-Adairsville

My first ever long distance ride, to Amelia Island, FL was in March 2006, so I know all about the fickle Spring weather. Those of you who have followed some of my long winded narratives will recall that my most valuable "carry along" was my camera, and that for $10 I had purchased a lot of items at the local Goodwill.

So, in picture #1, that blue 2 piece outfit is an Arab High School basketball warmup, the pants have snaps all the way up the sides. As the day warmed up, I could roll them up and stash them in the trapper keeper I fashioned on the handlebars. Because I knew my departure day was going to be the WORST, and my saddlebags were stuffed to the max, the long handles I had on underneath were the raggidiest I owned, both parts were disposed of, the pants on Day #2, the shirt is now a rag for Bill to use when he washes his car.

Those are Snow Sneakers from LL Bean ($55), and my Mom knits slippers every Christmas, I have a doubled up pair (duct tape on the bottom) for camp, doubled up socks and even plastic grocery bags to insulate the feet further.

That little league helmet is the one I found at the Obama/Selma '07 rally, the foam over the ears kept the hoodie snug to the skull. I use Stihl brand safety sunglasses ($12), they have those side panels that keep the freezing breeze off of the eyeballs.

In the front basket are two of those $5 fleece blankets you find at General Dollar stores. I'm a big believer in fleece and flannel ! In the shaving kit are two mini-flashlights, both using the same battery size as the camera. I probably have 10 bungie cords and 50 18" zip ties. The kindiegarden mat, tarp, canvas step-on mat are behind the seat. The small hammer for tent pegs was NEVER used in five nights, making it obselete in the future. Clothes are squeezed into 1 gallon plastic bags, blankets in the supersized ziplocks.

ROPE ! In one of the Pringles cans are 3 pieces of rope/string. Take along about 5-8 feet of cord rope, in case you need to hoist the back end of the bike, from a rafter or a limb. Of course I have tools, spares tubes & belts .....Handi-Wipes in zip locks are in various pockets.

My spare gas is in the 2-33 oz. Scope bottles, the most I'd ever pay to fill up both and the engine's 22 oz. was $1.09, but the average gas purchase was about .75 cents.

CRANK IT UP !

All three mornings on the way to North Carolina began between 7-8 a.m., but I never abided by the time-zone change at the Georgia border, just considered the Crackers and Tarheels to be an hour out of whack.

About 10 miles from my house is a large quarry on a side road, with a constant stream of large dump trucks. Because I wanted to get acquainted with the bike's load, I went by the quarry before hitting the first busy Highway 278 east.

HIP TIP (thx Rif): I'm a firm believer in Mirr-O-Cyl mirrors. When you first see a large truck behind you, wave your left hand in the air, to signify "I see you", most often give a second wave as he begins to pass. I learned from the Kansas leg, directly from a trucker, that they had been talking about the crazy guy on the bike on their CB radios for days.

Of the thousands of trucks and cars that past me, only ONE truck (Knight Trucking) was a jerk, and that was on the last day.

The reason I mention the trucks is the drop-off into the Tennessee River Valley (pic 2) is at a store in Dawson, maybe 2 hours into the ride. They sold gas, and by that time I was frigid, having been pelted by sleet a few minutes before. While I gassed up (.78), 3 of the quarry trucks pulled up, amazed they had passed me back on 278, in Snead. About 5 folks gathered around the bike, I gave out my business cards, and was assured by the quarrymen that there was chatter on the CB radios.

DOWNHILL

My entries/exits into the Tennessee River Valley are limited, you have to think of it as a gorge, maybe 10 miles wide. The 4 stroke engine has kind of a "governor" on the high end, you can't really get up a lot of momentum on the downhills because the carb flutters past a certain speed. Because this road is in a semi-state of disrepair, I know on the return leg, it is off the list. "Trigger Finesse", thats what you need on the 4 stroke, the big T.F., especially on a recumbent loaded for bear.

Collinsville is at the bottom of the hill on the opposite side of that valley (photos in the above posting)....the FIRST challenge and I did it in HI gear. Piece of cake.

Atop the rise is a scenic road, left goes toward Little River Canyon Park and Mentone, highly recommended !! But I plowed forward, through Centre. When I pulled into a CVS parking lot, two Brazilians came out of their pickup, to talk, take pictures and one took a spin around the lot.

FLIRTING WITH KARMA

Yeah, I got a little smart***y with the third picture next to the Alabama Marine Police boat on Lake Weiss. All along the journey I passed lakes and reservoirs, nearly all overbuilt with McMansions. Since lakes are now nothing but glorified sub-divisions, best to time these NOT around afternoon rush hour.

FORREST'S FEINT

I swear, if I've seen ONE historic sign with Col. Streight's name in my region, I've seen a hundred. There are two or three within 20 miles of my driveway. When I get lost on my bike, I think of that poor Union commander wandering the 1862-63 Alabama wilderness. Outside Cedar Bluff is where it all caught up to him, and I got to wondering if the "Bluff" was a some designation of Forrest's headfake.

Nathan Bedford Forrest continued to lead his men in small-scale operations until April 1863. The Confederate army dispatched him into the backcountry of northern Alabama and west Georgia to deal with an attack of 3,000 Union cavalrymen under the command of Col. Abel Streight. Streight had orders to cut the Confederate railroad south of Chattanooga, Tennessee, to cut off Bragg's supply line and force him to retreat into Georgia. Forrest chased Streight's men for 16 days, harassing them all the way. Streight's goal became simply to escape pursuit. On May 3, Forrest caught up with Streight's unit east of Cedar Bluff, Alabama. Forrest had fewer men, but repeatedly paraded some of them around a hilltop to appear a larger force, and convinced Streight to surrender his 1,500 exhausted troops.

On this tour I saw too many commemoration plaques to count, way too many to stop and read. What Rif was talking about, the different rhythms of the small towns, will be especially seen on the return leg, moving from "untouched by the Civil War" South Carolina to the "burned by Sherman's March to the Sea" Georgia.

ROME RUSH HOUR

I have cr**py maps, AAA brand, Alabama on one side, Georgia on the other, the irrelevant southern parts torn off and discarded. I was aiming for the Kingston Highway, an easterly 2 lane above the busier US highways going parallel. But d****it, I found myself at some intersection of 4 lanes in Rome, neither road leading to the Kingston Highway.

Officer Tony was operating a radar gun on a southerly 4 lane that had a sembalance of hope of reaching the Kingston Highway. It was also full of supposedly Atlanta rush hour commuters. I saw him in my Mirr-O-Cyl when I stopped at the light, was mildly surprised when he bumped the siren.

It was curiosity !! He just wanted to know what I was doing on the shoulder, and said he was concerned for my safety, with all the lousy drivers on that stretch. We talked for maybe 10-15 minutes, he didn't time me with his gun, durnit. He had to admit, on this weird day where the temp started at 35 and dropped lower in the afternoon, that I was the only person colder than himself. I gave him a business card, he gave me "soon forgotten" directions to the Kingston Highway.

I tooked the first left after leaving Officer Tony, a guy getting into his pickup truck said I could catch the elusive K.Hwy. in about 10 miles, a right then a left....whoola.

Kingston ended up to be another backtrack, the locals said I would have a better ride if I turned around about a mile and took the first right/north, up to Adairsville. AN EXCELLENT ROAD, best of Day #1. 20 miles with less than 5-10 cars passing me.

Evening is approaching, so after crossing the interstate, I started looking for a campsite when the housing starts thinning. About 10 miles east of Adairsville, I note there are lots of potential "hollers", where small hills would block the breeze, and I hit a site within 2 miles of the main road.

Plenty of firewood, this would be the ONLY time I'd build a campfire, about 5 feet from the flap of the pup tent. It didn't take long to build a stockpile of enough for the whole night, re-stoked at midnight and 4 a.m.

The slippers, the fleece and the fire kept me pretty toasty all night, and there was a small creek branch about 20 feet from the fire to dispose of all the ashes/coals the next morning.

Nocturnal FACT: Whippoorwills are EVERYwhere, not an endangered species.

I'm posting this, without edit, else more of my pix look like a plate of scrambled eggs.

Attachments

• northcarolina&back 002.jpg
    northcarolina&back 002.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 387
  • northcarolina&back 008.jpg
    northcarolina&back 008.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 356
  • northcarolina&back 015.jpg
    northcarolina&back 015.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 392
  • northcarolina&back 018.jpg
    northcarolina&back 018.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 434
  • northcarolina&back 024.jpg
    northcarolina&back 024.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 372
  • northcarolina&back 032.jpg
    northcarolina&back 032.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
Leftover Day One pix:

The Memorial says Forrest had 322 men versus Streight's 446, I think etched in granite is more definite than a Wikientry.

"Clean" Coal....cough cough. I also passed TWO nuclear setups.

Georgia Line redux.....these state line shots are sometimes the trickiest to take, especially when clever politicians can't declare a river "no man's land" and stick the sign in the middle of a two lane bridge !!

Attachments

• northcarolina&back 017.jpg
    northcarolina&back 017.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 356
  • northcarolina&back 023.jpg
    northcarolina&back 023.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 330
  • northcarolina&back 019.jpg
    northcarolina&back 019.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 335
DAY #2

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/8-f2NYRn_oFua6uRDh

Route:

GA- Waleska, Canton, Cummings, Gainesville, Lula, Alto, Cornelia, Mt. Airy, Toccoa

SC- Westminster, Seneca, ending 12 mi. SW of Pickens

Hey, I'm getting better at this map biz, the calculated estimated distance for Day 2 is 158.42 miles, and there was only one 30 minute bit of backtracking confusion in Canton, so I'm going to declare this day totaled 165 miles.

STARING INTO THE SUN

I carried with me a couple of chocolate candy bars and a banana, and on the 3 day easterly leg, my total food consumption were 4 candy bars, 3 quickly scarfed down hamburgers, 2 bananas, some peppermints and two cups of coffee. Plus my daily vitamin/aspirin regimen. Tap water was my beverage of choice.

HIP TRICK- Just a half a banana a day gives you a boost, AND if you get on that routine, (I've been doing it for 10 years), and miss the banana for a few days, your body will tell you.

According to the weatherfolk, Night #1 was going to be the coldest, (upper twenties) between the campfire and wearing my full wardrobe arsenal, the next morning I was packed and ready to go at the crack of dawn. Night #1 was also the only time I had leg cramps, by Day #2 the exercise/water had gotten me adjusted.

Headed straight into the morning sun on GA-140, Pine Log, GA was the first dot on the map, I passed it so quickly/sun blindedly, THATS why there aren't 3 morning cuppas on my list. It was late morning AND warming up as I approached Waleska, a small town with one of those colleges you never heard of. Waleska would be my plague the rest of Day #2.

THE CLUNK

Waleska is a city in Cherokee County, Georgia, United States. The population was 616 at the 2000 census. Waleska is the home of Reinhardt College. Reinhardt is a four-year college affiliated with The United Methodist Church.

When I left Alabama, Rucio did not have one squeak or rattle. (Keep in mind, I don't have the "genuine"/hi-dollar 8 sprocket rear wheel on this test ride, but merely took a superpunctureproofed steel 12 gauge wheel off a Wal Mart bike sitting in the shop). Waleska set atop a very steepish hill with hardly any shoulder. I was in HI gear, peddling up when I saw a chicken truck in the mirror. Wave, wave again as the truck geared down and passed, followed by two cars. I'm paying toooooo much attention to the mirror.......

CLUNK. I bottomed out one of those potato-sized holes in the asphalt.

When I reached the top, caught my breath, quenched my thirst, I realized Rucio now had a noise. Not a click, not a screech, but kind of a low, off & on humm.

I get off and inspect the back, move it to and fro. Belt is fine, tire is seated, I can't detect a thing. But for the rest of the day, that weird humm would bug me AND it seemed that I shifted the front sprocket from 3 (HI) down to 2 (MED) on a lot of the uphills. By the end of the day, I had made my mind up, something was definitely slowing me down back there, and it had nothing to do with last night's leg cramps.

I HATE RED PICKUP TRUCKS

The second morning aggravation occurred in the next town, Canton. I'm upping and downing, and shifting and peddling, the big "halfway point", Lake Lanier, was still 90 minutes away.

According to my cr***py map, I want to find GA-20, and when I came to the first red light, on the right was a CVS parking lot, so I pulled in and asked the guy in the red pickup, "Which way to Highway 20?". He points left at the light, on the 4 lane....go through 5-6 lights, when I see the Arby's and Cracker Barrel, take a right.

Simple enough, eh?

Not a lot of traffic, but I'm dodging the grass from 2 mowers on an overpass, looking for a Cracker Barrel, crossing another overpass.....WTH??? I'm crossing I-575 !! When I get on the other side, I stop on the side to consult the map, when up pulls that same red pickup...."You missed it, you missed it"....kinda acting like I'm guilty of something. Yadda yadda yadda....turn around, second left.

Well, I say I'm grateful for him chasing me down and helping me out. Reverse direction, re-cross I-575....NOTHING.

I'm no longer grateful, the "Cracker Barrel" is really a "Capt. D's", the Arby's is spelled "H*A*R*D*E*E*S". There is a BP, so I pull in to gas up (.54 cents), carry in my water bottle and tell the Latino clerk about this idjut in the red pickup....."He's sending you on ALT-20, you want OLD 20 !!" Alt 20 is one of the many signs on I-565, Miguel sends me back the way I came.

D***IT, its the CVS store, where I first met the idjut wanting me to bicycle on an interstate ! I even go back to look, GA was too lazy to put up a "GA-20" sign and an "straight ahead arrow", there was NO mention of GA-20 until I got out of the city limits 20 minutes later.

Sheesh. But that was it for lost and back tracking on Day #2. Now its only that very irregular off/on "humm" on the back wheel.

AVOIDING THE WORDS "STEEP" & "HILL"...HOW ABOUT "PARACHUTE" ?

I broke my own "eating/get the flavor" rule in Cummings GA when I scarfed down 3 McDonald's burgers, sitting on Rucio in the parking lot, in less than 3 minutes, then headed NNW, over Lake Lanier to Gainesville.

No, the rest of my wasted time on Day #2 was looking for a phone booth that worked....go out there and try, I'll bet less than 20% of the blue boxes have both phone AND dial tone nowadays. I'll live and die without a cell phone or a wrist watch, that's nearly a guarantee.

According to the map two of the towns I'm about to pass, Alto and Mt. Airy, pretty much promise "altitudinals".....

Cornelia is the historic hub, for having "one" of the world's largest apples....

Cornelia is a city in Habersham County, Georgia, United States. The population was 3,674 at the 2000 census. It is home to one of the world's largest apples, which is displayed on top of an obelisk shaped monument.

For me, apples mean nothing. No, it had a sign with the ONLY sap lost-er than poor Col. Abel Streight, I've crossed this "explorers" path at least a hundred times.....

The first white man to visit what is now Habersham County was Hernando de Soto, who came in search of gold in 1540. He came from the southeast, around Currahee Mountain, by way of Chopped Oak (which was called "Digaluyatunyib" by the Cherokee Indians). This place was the site of an ancient oak tree which was notched by the Indians after each scalping. De Soto is thought to have traveled through Nacoochee Valley, crossing the Soque River near Clarkesville, and continuing on his way.

I think most towns are just making the Hernando De Soto visits up, if you throw a half a pound of wet spaghetti on a table, THAT would resemble De Soto's travels. This guy was more clueless than the idjut in the red pickup....

Down down down, off the peak, to Toccoa, the first bridge north of I-85 to cross the Oconee River into South Carolina.

Camp Toccoa, a World War II paratrooper training base, was located nearby. It was the first training base for the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment of the Army's 101st Airborne Division, whose Easy Company was subject of the non-fiction book and subsequent HBO miniseries "Band of Brothers".

SOUTH CAROLINA AIN'T TOO BAD......

Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto US-123/GA-184/W CURRAHEE ST/GA-13/GA-365. Continue to follow US-123 N (Crossing into SOUTH CAROLINA).

The rest of the afternoon was uneventful, first Westminster. and when I got to Seneca I headed north, toward the Blue Ridge Mountains that could be seen in the distance.

The game plan is to stay north of Greenville and Spartanburg, and south of the mountains. Just cruise the scenic Cherokee Highway foothills.

Simple enough, eh?

On the way up toward Pickens, riding east of Lake Keowee:

... is a reservoir created by Keowee Dam and Little River Dam. It impounds the Keowee River and the Little River, each of which exits through its respective dam. The two rivers join just below the dams and their confluence forms the Seneca River, a tributary of the Savannah River. Lake Keowee is used as cooling water for three nuclear reactors located at the Oconee Nuclear Generating Station which are owned by Duke Energy Corporation.

If it was summer, and I had my hammock, I saw umpteen places to stop. It might be a great place to catch a 3-eyed, neon-spotted bass.

I reached the Six Mile/Pickens intersection around 6 p.m., gassed up (.58 cents), filled the water bottle, and searched for a place to hoist up that rear wheel, find out what the **** that humm was.

Within a couple of hundred yards I saw an abandoned house with an abandoned shack next to it (the next morning, the yellow flashing light at the intersection could be seen brightly, thats how close it was).

I carried the camp gear back into the woods, tied my rope and hoisted up the rear of Rucio from a rafter........WTF????

ALL DAY, SINCE THE POTATO HOLE ....

I had been riding with with my right/rear brake pad rubbing on about 33% of my wheel. I'd been riding with my brakes on !!!!

I tried to switch around those brake pad washers, fine tune the brake assembly as the sun went down....but instead took off that pad and rubbed the offending edge vigorously on the concrete floor.

A new angle, loosened the cable, the next morning proved I now had 50% of the braking power, BUT no longer had to shift from 3 to 2, and that humm was gone.

Good enough, for the rest of the trip I'd use the rear to slow down, (and very seldom do I absolutely stop anyway. Even at intersections I'm approaching at a slow crawl....)

Needless to say, because of that brake pad, I had NO favorite road on Day #2, but north of Seneca is worth a look !! I didn't take a lot of pix on Day 2, but pic #2-3 are outside Toccoa, #4-5 are hoisting the bike and camping out behind the hedges.

Sun goes down, whippoorwill shows up, I sleep excellently, knowing I whupped that humm.

(147 + 165 = 312 miles end of day 2....)

Attachments

• northcarolina&back 033.jpg
    northcarolina&back 033.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 328
  • northcarolina&back 034.jpg
    northcarolina&back 034.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 330
  • northcarolina&back 035.jpg
    northcarolina&back 035.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 331
  • northcarolina&back 036.jpg
    northcarolina&back 036.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 320
  • northcarolina&back 037.jpg
    northcarolina&back 037.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
bama travels

excellent writeup.very glad you put up the details.the brake thing has happened to me,exact thing.you know somethings wrong but not bad enough to really worry.i wore a line in my tire not to deep but i thought it was fixing itself,but was slowly turning and tightening?but could have gotten bad if i didnt really check things.its hard when you have so much stuff on yer bike junk saddlebags etc.to find a problem.good pics of your tent sites.

DAY #3

I'M JINXED again - bragged too fast on my mapping ability. I've just wasted 90 minutes trying to make MapQuest link..... & ended up getting THIS !

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Six+Mile&1s=SC&1a=+[900-999]+Mount+Olivet+Rd++&1z=29682+&2c=Dacusville&2s=SC#a/maps/l::[900-999]+Mount+Olivet+Rd:Six+Mile:SC:29682:US:34.82855:-82.8401:street:pickens+County:1/l:::Marietta:SC::US:35.020802:-82.501701:city:Greenville+County:1/l::[101-199]+N+Highway+25:Travelers+Rest:SC:29690:US:34.96225:-82.4333:street:Greenville+County:1/l:::Tigerville:SC::US:35.068298:-82.368599:city:Greenville+County:1/l:::Cliffside:NC::US:35.238098:-81.769997:city:Rutherford+County:1/l::2100+W+Innes+St:Salisbury:NC:28144-2437:US:35.688573:-80.482725:address:Rowan+County:1/m:35.258308:-81.658637:0:::::/io::::f:EN:M:/e

So, I swapped the info to GoogleMaps.....

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...-81.661394&sspn=2.314282,4.614258&ie=UTF8&z=7

ROUTE:

SC - Pickens, Dacusville, Marietta, Traveler's Rest (IN ERROR), Tigersville, Campobello, Chesnee

NC - Cliffside, Shelby, Cherryville, Lincolnton, Lake Norman, Mooresville, Salisbury

Day #3 is a Thursday...

...the same day as the opening round at Augusta, and as I traveled through the older sections of each of these towns, I saw bushes and trees blooming in full color glory, azaleas, dogwoods, cherry and pear trees that rivaled the Masters.

I also had that full moon helping me out in the pre-dawn hours, I was breaking up camp probably around 5 a.m., testing out the new "brake" situation before stowing all the gear. When I got back to that SixMile/Pickens intersection, to refill my water bottle and buy my morning cuppa, the lot was full of fishing boats, some kind of tournament commenced that morning.

That was when the previously mentioned episode occurred....

NOTHING.BUT.HILLS !!

Yesterday morning I asked the group of fisherfolk if the SC hills were any taller than the ones in Georgia, and the general opinion was "**** yeah".

Anyway, I made it. 3 full days of riding, skipping meals yesterday just to make it into Salisbury NC by 5 p.m. EST. I'll have to wait until I get back to Alabama for mileage exactification, but I'll wager all 3 days were in the 150 mile range, not including my daily "lost and backtracking" +10% factor.

MapQuests version said 179.50 miles (180), I'm not wasting time with Google to get it identically tweaked.

SO, total outbound mileage was 147 + 165 + 180 = 492 miles NOTE- Rucio has NO odometer, my guesstimate was 450 + 10%, or 495 miles !!
Not bad for 3 days on the road. :whistle:

IT WOULD HAVE BEEN CLOSER TO 450 MILES...

If I hadn't made a right turn at Marietta.

Pickens, through Dacusville, to Marietta was my favorite stretch for the eastbound leg, I pretty much owned that 20-40 mile road. Warm morning, great scenery, crossing bridges and the road crests....I'd estimate I dropped into 10 different little valleys that morning. I saw creeks named "Tyger", so I was thinking this is going to be an easy day...

I never knew I reached Marietta until I got on Bill's computer. There was no sign, my two lane banged into a four lane, a "T", while my cr**py map showed there should be an intersection, a "+".

I didn't ask a local (bad move), just took a right and finally, after miles of dis-orientation, stopped to ask a guy on the sidewalk "where the heck am I??"

"Travelers Rest"

So, that is why there is a southeasterly "V" in my route, that is why I skipped eating that day, to make up for that hour of wasted time, trying to get back up to the Cherokee Foothills Scenic Highway.

If you click on this link, it shows all the attractions on SC 11, you will see I pretty well covered it all, from Westminster to Cowpens. I'm just going to recommend that 115 miles as a GREAT way to get out on a nice one or two day tour.

http://www.lake-hartwell.com/Scenic11/Scenic11.htm

The Cherokee Foothills Scenic Highway (SC Hwy 11) has designated as Region 1 of the South Carolina Heritage Corridor for much of its length and has been featured by National Geographic Traveler, Rand McNalley, Southern Living and several other national travel publications. This 115 mile scenic highway is a great alternate to Interstate 85 through South Carolina. Whether you drive straight through or take your time and take the side trips, you are sure to enjoy your trip along South Carolina Scenic 11.

COWPENS NAT'L PARK IS NEAR CHESNEE

http://www.nps.gov/cowp/index.htm

A pasturing area at the time of the battle, this Revolutionary War site commemorates the place where Daniel Morgan and his army turned the flanks of Banastre Tarleton's British army.

This classic military tactic, known as a double envelopment, was one of only a few in history.

Military buffs could probably cover the entire Southern Campaigns in less than 5 days on a motorized bike, from Waxhaw to Yorktown. Kings Mountain is near Cowpens, and I visited the Star Fort at NinetySix, SC on the return leg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cowpens
The Battle of Cowpens (January 17, 1781) was a decisive victory by American Revolutionary forces under Brigadier General Daniel Morgan, in the Southern campaign of the American Revolutionary War. It was a turning point in the reconquest of South Carolina from the British.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_King's_Mountain
The Battle of Kings Mountain, October 07, 1780, was a decisive Patriot victory in the Southern campaign of the American Revolutionary War. Frontier militia loyal to the United States overwhelmed the Loyalist American militia led by British Major Patrick Ferguson of the 71st Foot. In The Winning of the West, Theodore Roosevelt wrote of Kings Mountain, "This brilliant victory marked the turning point of the American Revolution."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ninety_Six
The Battle of Ninety Six was a siege in the American Revolutionary War between the American and British Colonist Tories. Despite superior numbers, the Americans were unsuccessful in their assault.

My ancestor, William, a Maryland/Virginia hunter and trapper, was stomping around that area circa 1700-1760, and his youngest son Isaac was with Dan'l Boone's son when he was killed.

Because Isaac lived until age 82, (he had the King's price on his head pre-1776, then was one of the early Kentucky/Tennessee "troublemakers",) you find his children's names in the oddest places, from the onset of the Santa Fe Trail to the Battle of San Jacinto (after the Alamo).

I'm reminded of Isaac because we think the town, mountain, meadows, waterfall, etc. all around Ashville, NC are named after him, and I saw a directional sign to the mountain around noonish on Day 3. All that stuff near Raleigh/Durham is named after one of his older brothers.

I mention this because, like poor Col. Abel Streight and lost Hernando De Soto, Isaac and his kinfolk constantly pop up on signs I've come across through the years, from Maryland to Kansas. Anytime I see Dan'l Boone or Davy Crockett plaques, I stop and look.

http://randyspeck.blogspot.com/2009/02/wallens-creek-revenge-isaac-crabtree.html

In September of 1773, Daniel Boone led a party of hunters on their very first attempt to settle Kentucky. Running low on supplies, he sent his son, James, and others back home to Washington County, Virginia for more. James gathered all the supplies he needed. He also picked up a passenger, 16-year-old Isaac Crabtree, who hailed from a family of longhunters and who wanted to be a part of the expedition.

On his way back to his father, James decided to camp for the night at Wallens Creek. Little did he know he was only two miles from his father's camp. As dawn approached the following morning, the 10th of October, a party of indians attacked James and his party. Everyone was killed, except for a slave and Isaac, who had been hit in the back by an arrow, but managed to flee into the woods away from the massacre. Wounded, cold and hungry, Isaac wandered aimlessly for days before eventually finding his way back home in Washington County. The incident haunted him for months, and his hatred for indians increased. It also caused Daniel Boone and his party to abandon their first attempt to settle Kentucky.

The following spring, a festival was held in Jonesboro, Tennessee, where a peace treaty with the Cherokee's was to be signed. Isaac attended the event, but while there saw what he thought was one of the assailants from the massacre. Without hesitation, he drew his weapon and shot and killed the indian. As it turned out, the man he shot was the nephew of one of the chiefs. The shooting jeopardized the signing of the peace treaty for a while and almost caused a war with the peaceful indians. To say the least, everyone was upset at Isaac. As a matter of fact, the Governor of Virginia went as far as to offer a $50 reward for his arrest. In July of 1774, Isaac stood trial for the killing, but he was not convicted.

Anyway, the story we have is Isaac was one of those 3-400 irregular "nick of time" frontiersmen who kept popping into those battles, then ignoring all marching orders when the fight was over, went back to hunting until the next bugle call. We know Isaac's brother Capt. Jacob Crabtree was in Boonesborough at the opening of the war, but Isaac was all over the place.

JACOB CRABTREE, in March of 1775, went with a company of thirty men, led by Daniel Boone, and marked a path through the forest to the Kentucky River. They arrived on April 6, 1775 at Big Lick on the Kentucky River just below the mouth of Otter Creek. Here it was decided to build a town called Boonesborough.

GAS IS HIGHER IN NORTH CAROLINA

I found that out when I reached Shelby, the fillups had been running me in the .75 cent range, but the first Amoco in NC rang up $1.02 for 89 octane. I gave the clerk **** for the outrageous gouging. I vowed to minimize my NC gas purchases, but this was the one that made my eastbound total (all namebrand 89 octane) $6.68.

If I hadn't made that deadly Marietta/Travelers Rest error, I would have reached Lake Norman/I-77/Mooresville long before rush hour. I highly recommend NOT crossing this area between 3:00-5:00 p.m., especially on the Thursday before a 4-day Holiday Weekend.

But really, in all those towns, once you got past the last intersection, the traffic thinned out quickly.

GETTING CB RADIO_PLAY

My best move was asking those Rock Quarry guys back in Dawson AL to radio ahead about my destination, it seemed like all three days I had an umbrella of Freightliners and Mack Trucks watching my backdoor.

Attachments

• northcarolina&back 013.jpg
    northcarolina&back 013.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 340
  • northcarolina&back 020.jpg
    northcarolina&back 020.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 297
  • northcarolina&back 011.jpg
    northcarolina&back 011.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 363
  • northcarolina&back 022.jpg
    northcarolina&back 022.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 310
  • northcarolina&back 027.jpg
    northcarolina&back 027.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 315
You just had to go to Travelers Rest, " didn't you ?" LOL little detour didn't hurt too much. There is some pretty scenery thru the small mountains of upstate S.C. & into N.C. Did you see peach trees in bloom along #11 from Campobello to Chesnee ??

You just had to go to Travelers Rest, " didn't you ?" LOL little detour didn't hurt too much. There is some pretty scenery thru the small mountains of upstate S.C. & into N.C. Did you see peach trees in bloom along #11 from Campobello to Chesnee ??

According to that S.C. Highway 11 Mile-by-Mile guide, I passed by one of the BIGGEST, near Chesnee, called the Cooley Bros. "Strawberry Hill". (I wish I had seen this guide before I departed. It's listed backwards from my west to east approach:

http://www.milebymile.com/main/Unit...es_South_Carolina_road_map_travel_guides.html

Cowpens Revolutionary Battleground.
In 1781 a band of American patriots dealt the British a crippling defeat. There is a walking tour and a Visitors Center with a video presentation.

Chesney, South Carolina city limits
Quaint turn of century mill town

Blue Ridge Mountains
These mountains will be your constant traveling companions for the next few hours. The link listed is a great travel site.

Strawberry Hill
Pick your own when is season. Accross the street is Cooley Brothers peach Farm. South Carolina peaches are simply the best.

http://www.strawberryhillusa.com/pres.php

The Cooley family harvests over 800 acres of peaches, 74 acres of strawberries, 74 acres of cantaloupe, 16 aces of white nectarines, 6 acres of blackberries, and 4 acres of plums.

They had a really impressive layout, gift shop and ice creamery on one side of the road, and I've never seen such a "strawberry sculptured looking garden" patriotically sitting on the other side, halfway through the peach part...

http://www.fruitgrowersnews.com/pages/arts.php?ns=1031
While the fields are colorful and situated on hills surrounding an irrigation pond, people can walk there but they don't pick. The fields are festooned with American flags - 238 of them, to be exact. One of the founders of the farm was a World War II veteran and his patriotic service is remembered still.

Each spring, Strawberry Hill offers field tours that draw about 10,000 first-grade school children. The tours cost $7 a child, and Brandi says they get a real education and a real experience. The adventure takes at least an hour and a half and can take longer if the kids stay and play. The tour includes a tractor ride through Strawberry Fields Forever, a lecture on how strawberries are raised and an opportunity to pick a strawberry, then lunch at the Hillbilly Clubhouse followed with homemade ice cream. Kids take home a coloring book and a pint of strawberries, which are packed in stackable boxes and given to the teachers for distribution back at school, thus avoiding disaster on the school bus.

The strawberries are raised as an annual crop. The land is tilled in August and planted about Sept. 20.

Beds are formed and drip lines are installed for irrigation and fertilizer delivery. The beds are covered with plastic film and the soil fumigated. Fourteen days later, holes are punched in the plastic to let the remaining fumigant gas out and then the berry plants are inserted into the holes. It takes 18,750 plants to plant an acre; they buy about 1.4 million plants a year.

The plants begin to bloom in mid-March and will probably require overhead frost protection. Then the real activity starts with the tours and the pickers filling those plastic pails.

After the strawberry season ends in August, the plastic beds are replanted to cantaloupe, which come to market when the peach season ends in late September.

The farm is still diversifying. They planted about 35 acres this year to blackberries and also planted about 10 acres of Asian pears.

In the fall, Brandi shifts her tours to the pumpkin fields, where kids get a somewhat scarier version by being subjected to the troll under the bridge. They get to build a scarecrow, feed the ducks, see the Three Little Pigs and visit a bull calf that has an unusual craving for human companionship. The fall pumpkin tours attract another 10,000 youngsters.

Strawberry Hill USA, Inc. is a "little piece of heaven on earth" that attracts tourist from across the South, says the Web site. It is open seven days a week from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. from April into October. The café is open year around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rolling Stone:

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdai...ad-rise-again-at-north-carolina-tour-kick-off
Attending Dead shows is like riding a bike: you never forget how to do it, you try to remember enjoying the ride, but you also hope not to crash and burn (always a possibility). So, as a veteran bicyclist Deadhead (somewhere around 170 shows, though none since Jerry Garcia's 1995 passing), it was interesting to look out at the sold-out crowd gathered for the opening of the Dead's reunion tour at the Greensboro Coliseum on Easter Sunday and see how the novices took in the scene.

USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2009-04-12-postcard-dead_N.htm

Re-opening the vaults: The band drew from all eras in its seven-song, 85-minute opening set, starting with the oh-so-appropriate The Music Never Stopped. So many of the songs feature references that now can be seen as tributes/commentary on the departed founder/guitarist Garcia and the band itself: the trippy He's Gone, with its "nothin's going to bring him back" refrain; the "we used to play for silver, now we play for life" line from Jack Straw; and the set-closing Truckin', which is about the band's wooly early days. But the most joyous tribute/affirmation came on the band's last hit, Touch of Grey, when the arena joined the musicians in proclaiming: "We will get by. We will survive."

Greensboro News & Record:

http://www.news-record.com/content/...ead_live_on_as_they_kick_off_tour_at_coliseum

The band kicked off its first tour in five years at the Greensboro Coliseum, the second tour since Garcia's 1995 death.

Some might wonder: Why start the tour in Greensboro? But for the Grateful Dead community, it makes perfect sense.

They know that Greensboro was the site of the legendary April 1, 1991, show when the band played an especially trippy rendition of "Dark Star."

Serendipity and luck brought the band back to Greensboro to begin its 2009 tour, said Scott Johnson, an assistant director at the coliseum. The tour's booking agent - who attended the "Dark Star" show - remembered the coliseum's strong relationship to the Dead and suggested starting the new tour here.

Raleigh Telegram: (hey, I KNOW that parrot in the pic!)

http://www.raleigh3.com/default.asp...=&subname=&pform=&sc=2724&hn=raleigh3&he=.com

There was little need for security, as the entire scene outside the coliseum was very laid back, although one man seemed to have too much fun and passed out next to a car (see photo below), with beer in hand. Although he was the victim of some magic marker scribblings, some friendly Dead fans evidently started a collection for the man who had several dollar bills stuffed into his pants.

Inside the coliseum, Dead fans seemed extremely pleased with the concert, which featured a rendition of favorite songs from the Dead including "Truckin'", "Touch Of Grey," and even a rendition of "All Along The Watchtower," which was written by Bob Dylan. It was easy to see why many fans waited in line after the concert to buy a CD with the evening's music recorded on it.

JamBase Music:

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/Story.aspx?storyID=17569

And it was the tour's first show. How would Warren Haynes fit in without Jimmy Herring by his side? Would they pull some old favorites from the vault? Would they let things get weird?

It was clear from the first strains of the opener that thought had gone into choosing a set list. "The Music Never Stopped" was a fitting kickoff to a show whose songs played out as perfectly as Phish's epic set lists a month prior. "Jack Straw" and a wah-heavy "Estimated Prophet" played out at over ten minutes each, but without much deviation from the musical themes. The band sounded tight, hiccupping here and there, but holding their own as a cohesive unit.

The first real highlight came in "He's Gone," during the relaxed, staggered harmonies of "nothing's gonna bring him back." The same man was on everyone's mind as Lesh, Weir and Haynes jammed vocally on the refrain, while the crowd roared in approval. The Dead's lyrics gain new flavors and poignancy with age, and the band seemed to take that into account throughout the set. "He's Gone" was followed nicely with the "I will get by" sing-along refrain from "Touch of Grey."

I hear folks are building a whole new library of tunes burning live CD's off the archives.

It appears the boys in the band had some rehearsals ....

The Dead :: 04.12.09 :: Greensboro Coliseum :: Greensboro, NC
Set I: Jam > The Music Never Stopped, Jack Straw, Estimated Prophet > He's Gone > Touch Of Grey > I Need A Miracle > Truckin'

Set II: Jam > Shakedown Street > All Along The Watchtower > Caution (Do Not Step On The Tracks) > Drums > Space > Cosmic Charlie, New Potato Caboose > Help On The Way > Slipknot! > Franklin's Tower

Encore: Samson & Delilah

Bill sets THE record for "most tons of supplies for a 2 man vehicle" headed to the parking lot.

There were an estimated 70,000 bunny rabbits (and 1 parrot) running around that sunny Easter day .....

2 Bills and a Bob.....

Attachments

• northcarolina&back 029.jpg
    northcarolina&back 029.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 330
  • northcarolina&back 042.jpg
    northcarolina&back 042.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 325
  • northcarolina&back 043.jpg
    northcarolina&back 043.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 321
  • northcarolina&back 044.jpg
    northcarolina&back 044.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 307
  • northcarolina&back 046.jpg
    northcarolina&back 046.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 290
  • northcarolina&back 045.jpg
    northcarolina&back 045.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 304
  • northcarolina&back 048.jpg
    northcarolina&back 048.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 329
Last edited by a moderator:
Coming up, the return leg....its now Tuesday, and I can't pack up my gear until the rain quits.

As luck would have it, my proposed route back to Alabama looks exactly like a one-lane bowling alley, (unless I wanted to wait around another day to leave). I have to roll right down the middle to avoid death and destructions.

Bill took a "sick day", so him, me and my new Pez Lucky Charm bunny are watching the radar, sitting on the front porch, waiting for hours, and at the first opportunity, Rucio, the bunny and I would charge into the storm.

Here's what the SC and GA news had to say about my upcoming day:

April 14, 2009
Richmond County Storm Victims Clean Up
Richmond County took a hit from the storms, as well as Aiken County. Many homes along Barton Chapel Road and Bungalow Road were damaged or destroyed. Count on WJBF News Channel 6’s Fraendy Clervaud for the story.

Governor Sanford: Federal Aid Unlikely for Aiken Tornado Victims
Tornado victims in Aiken County took a break from sorting through the rubble, Monday, as the rain fell. But Tuesday morning, they were back out, digging through their belongings, and they were joined by South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford. WJBF News Channel 6’s Joy Howe has the story.

Severe Thunderstorm Warning Issued For Aiken County
According to the National Weather Service, a Severe Thunderstorm Warning remains in effect until 4:45 p.m. EDT for Aiken and Lexington Counties…
Nearly 30,000 Customers Still Without Power In Georgia

Georgia Power Company and Georgia Electric Membership Corporation say less than 30,000 Georgians remain without power after severe thunderstorms and high winds moved through the state.

CSRA Mid-Afternoon Weather Update—April 14, 2009
WJBF News Channel 6’s Weather Team has the weather updates that affect the Georgia and South Carolina counties of the CSRA. John Lynn tells us, in this update, what we can expect in the next few days, including intermittent rain falling on the CSRA Tuesday.

Governor Mark Sanford Surveys Aiken County Storm Damage
Tuesday, Governor Mark Sanford is seeing for himself the damage from some wicked weather…Governor Sanford is touring several counties in the Palmetto State, including Aiken. He arrived at the Silver Bluff Fire Station about 9:30 a.m., Tuesday morning.

CSRA Evening Weather Update—April 13, 2009
WJBF News Channel 6’s Weather Team has the weather updates that affect the Georgia and South Carolina counties of the CSRA. George Myers tells us, in this update, what we can expect from the storms rolling through Georgia and South Carolina Monday night.

1 Person Dead In Georgia As Storm Moves Through
At least one person has been killed in Georgia as a severe storm system moves across the state. Atlanta Fire Rescue Department spokesman Capt. Bill May says one person was killed Monday when a tree fell on a car in Atlanta’s Buckhead neighborhood. He didn’t know the victim’s name or age.

Aiken County Red Cross Opens Storm Relief Shelter At Silver Bluff High School
In a release sent to WJBF News Channel 6, the Aiken County Red Cross tells us they have opened new shelter location at Silver Bluff High School, 64 Desoto Road, Aiken, for those affected by the tornado. The shelter opened at 4 p.m., Monday.

Attachments

• northcarolina&back 050.jpg
    northcarolina&back 050.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 301
  • northcarolina&back 099.jpg
    northcarolina&back 099.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
Back