wood ruff key dropped,don't know what to do.

I just took my new build for dad and was putting a cen clutch on his too . I tried to jammed chain again to get the big clutch on his off to grease barrings.That is the best way red try it sometime the nut came right of this time with socket and rachet...very very easy.....great one headsmess

Can you tell me where to shoot grease at. I really think one needs it bad ,kinda ruff when turning it...Thanks

Can you tell me where to shoot grease at. I really think one needs it bad ,kinda ruff when turning it...Thanks

Don't over do the grease, although apply what you need and wipe off any remaining grease that is not in the bearings. I use a good wheel bearing grease, as it will stay in there better.

Last edited:
Clutch

LISTEN TO AL, Do not over grease. When the clutch gets spinning it will spin the excess out to the clutch pads. Very little is needed. If you can't get grease in it, a couple drops of heavy oil(90wt?) is better than nothing. The same still applies, very little is needed. I know, I've done it this way before. Two or three drops of oil at the most. Then work it into the bearings, (spin the clutch,) to distribute it evenly. WIPE OFF EXCESS.
Shiney Side Up,
Big Red.

Clutch Drive Gear

OK Guy's, Here's a new one on me. A customer just brought in his bike with a busted drive gear, clutch side. I've only been working on these things for six years or so and this is a first for me. I've NEVER seen one of these gears go bad.
What I REALLY need to know is the easiest way to remove the gear. I think this one might be for you Al. I've got the bolt off but the gear seems to be a press on job. Do I need a special puller or is there a trick to it.
The bad pic is because I have a carpy camera. I hope it's good enough.
Shiney Side Up,
Big Red.
Never mind. It wasn't pressed on as tight as I thought. I pried a little with a screwdriver and it shot across my shop perhaps never to be seen again.
Thanks anyway,
Big Red.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Do it yourself Chain Wrench

If someone with a welder wants to try an experiment, How about welding a short peice of chain to the end of a iron bar. Wrap the chain on the drive gear and hold on to the bar.

No need for a welder. Find some scrap bar strap the same thickness as the innner chain link, grind a shallow half moon, drill some holes and attach the chains using the existing pins.

http://www.rei.com/skuimage/711887

cant weld chain anyway ive found. hi tensile steel. needs special procedures if you want it to do anything more than just hold together :(

yes, tis an old school tool all the way back from the earliest days of bicycles unfortunately. a chain-spanner :)

Red when I took the clutch cover off about 2 to 3 weeks ago the screw was laying in the cover of it.I would recommend using locktite on the big screw and that's the gear that I had strip out the pullers but now It's easy to remove.I tried the screw driver it did not work, so the kit puller finally worked, and is the best way that I know.Glad you got if off. I don't really know about the locktite on the screw but there's got to be some thing to hold them on,it lock up my tire that's why I found it.I really thought I lock up motor....

Last edited:
Back