Which way does this nut turn?

Freddy Snottgrass

Local time
6:14 PM
And what do you supposed caused all that damage? This is the bike that was lurching, then breaking chains on a wheel swap. Today a gas leak seeped into the housing and made it slip so I pulled the cover off. Trying to remove the lining plate (proper name?). Did this nut turn the standard way?
IMG_20190725_182312.jpg

A gas leak from the outside or the inside of the cover? Yes standard threads. Removal is not needed if the leak was from the inside. That would be the seal behind the small bevel gear in which case it wil need removing to replace seal. You can clean the pads with carb cleaner.

No it was from the carb. The bowl was dripping and it sits right above the seal.

156410282014114029733.jpg

Ha! It is still dripping. Damn... I hope I dont turn into one of those psychopathic killers.

No it was from the carb. The bowl was dripping and it sits right above the seal.

View attachment 89003

Ha! It is still dripping. Damn... I hope I dont turn into one of those psychopathic killers.
I could almost see a sound legal defense for one of these bikes being the cause for one just finally going over the edge.

Okay.. . This has turned into my first mechanical issue with the engine. That slotted bolt inside the small gear... Something is wrong with it. I can spin it with my fingers. When I roll the bike the ring gear and the small gear both spin but my engine doesn't turn over. Is this a case of a missing woodruff key?

Probably sheared the key in half. Do you have a impact driver? That's the best way to remove the screw, harbor freight has one for around $10.
Screenshot_20190725-230329.png

Last edited:
Does the slotted screw come out or does it simply just spin? Also the gear spinning freely is either a sheared or missing woodruff key. Ace hardware sells replacement ones, I'm not sure of the exact size as I just compared the ones in the bins to one I had. They are only 50-60c so you could easily get 5 different sizes to make sure you got the right one. I was quite surprised at how perfectly it fit, but it would make sense they would use an off the shelf key.

The pad damage looks like the clutch plate was dragging/not fully releasing. I've battled that issue for months now and finally fixed it just today by going to Ace hardware and finding a metal dowel that was almost 1/4in longer. For the first time ever my clutch will hold tight enough not to slip under peak power and will simultaneously be able to completely release with 0 dragging at a stop. The dowel was all of 56c.

The screw is loose and so is the gear. I just watched a YouTube video on how to remove the clutch drive gear (?) and my kit came with the tool needed. Which is good to know but since it wiggles when I loosen the screw, I probably won't need it. I'll take a look at it tomorrow. I'm expecting what you suggested and hoping no damage was caused to the gear. I'm sure I'll be full of questions in about 20 hours. Thanks for everyone's help.

Edit: the slotted screw is able to screw out.

Back