Wanna know how many miles you got on your china girls before you had to rebuild?

Purchased two motors from Powercycle about 11 months ago, one for a mate that I stripped and matched gaskets ports and checked bearing fits. That motor is now close to 4000K,s without any problems.The other motor I used straight out of the box for my bike,wanted to see how it would perform compared with my mates engine, only lasted a few weeks before rings caught inlet port and stripped chrome from cylinder. This motor was a dog right from the start.Rebuilt motor with new cylinder, now has 3200K,s see Raceline full suspension bike in picture gallery

Don

I have had my 80cc for almost two years, I expect that it will outlast my expectations. The reason I think my engine will last is I think of it as a toy engine and I treat it like a toy. I never run the rpm's high and I have a motorcycle if I want to get my adrenaline fix.

Miles

I have a 48cc Grubee "roundhead wingding" Skyhawk. I got about 600 miles on it, and it died tonight. The top ring split up, rammed into the port.
I ran 32:1 all the time after break in, and ran it 90-100% WOT all the time.

I just went to the 38tooth cog, and it was nice. The engine did some weird stalling earlier, and had a squeek on start up for a couple weeks, that i thought was a misadjusted clutch. I guess it was the ring scraping, till it finally blew.

I didn't know what was happening with the stalling, so I put fresh gas in, cleaned the filter, greased the reduction gears, and took off. Ran hard!
Then, when it crapped out at 30mph. I thought the chain fell off, and when I looked I was perplexed, till I tried to move it. Clunk, Clunk. Luckily only 1 mile from home.

I don't think i'll ever go more than 50 miles from home again on a HT, because if it blows, I will have to pedal a 1x1 60lb beach cruiser all the way home.

150 miles 09 66cc grubee skyhawk Same thing happened to me. Top ring ended up in crank and locked her up. Happened in my yard and no doing 30....

Attachments

• LZ3 L..jpg
    LZ3 L..jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 178
yeah bit the problem with a "dyno day" is that every carb. would be jetted different depending on what part of the world everyone is from. not every engine will run at it's optimal peak with a # 72 main jet.(for example) My stock n.t. carbs are jetted with #74 delorto jets, and they run very strong. (32 mph top speed, absolutly no 4 stroking, 41 tooth rear sprockets, 20" rear wheels, 20" frames, and i weigh 155 pounds.) both of my engines are from b.g.f. so they were cheap to buy.
seriously, a dyno day? it would be interesting to see how much power people are actually putting to the ground on one of these.....altho it's probably not very much.

Last edited:
This discussion tells me a couple tips

1) You engine might fail between 400 miles and 800 miles. Due to burnout, because the engine is not tuned right, or over stressing the engine.

2) Should get the engined tuned for not too lean, not too hot, just right; by someone who knows two-stroke engines. Or just take your chances. And to not run the engine full power at all times.

Back