The Good Bike Deal Thread.

Most people most of the time only travel in 10 or 20 mile round trips.
Depends on where you are at...lol...To get anywhere in the western and southwestern U.S., you will be driving for hours on end.

A typical round trip from where I am at would be an hour and a half each way for a total of 3 hours minimum just to get to a major city like El Paso, Texas or Las Cruces, New Mexico in order to be able to do any major shopping since we are rather limited in the smaller city of Alamogordo, NM where I live...Those are the 2 closest cities to us...Keep in mind the speed limit of 70 MPH for those distances as well.

E-cars are far from practical where I am at...I haven't even seen any charging stations for them yet, though that doesn't mean they don't exist, probably just hard to find...lol.

Another issue, are all electrical plugs standard? I hear of Tesla charging stations, I don't think GM will use a competitors plug the way Tesla's are so unique in their designs.

Another issue, are all electrical plugs standard? I hear of Tesla charging stations, I don't think GM will use a competitors plug the way Tesla's are so unique in their designs.
Everyone has the same plug except for Tesla, it's Apple Vs. USB-C all over again.

Tesla owned charging stations also limit the number of "super charges" and if you have an unregistered part installed, they can lock you out of the network.

Some cars only have a level 2 charge socket, meaning long travels are out of the question.

I had a Bolt with a level 2 only, it takes a good 11 hours for a full charge, level 1 was over 30 hours.

Hybrids have the issue of having 2 systems, so double the possible problems, battery packs are also subject to failure and although cheaper than a full EV pack, you can be set back $8000 in 10 years.

Full EV's are only good for retired folk and people who stay in town, Hybrids are only good if you plan on getting a new car every 8 years.

Everyone has the same plug except for Tesla, it's Apple Vs. USB-C all over again.

Tesla owned charging stations also limit the number of "super charges" and if you have an unregistered part installed, they can lock you out of the network.

Some cars only have a level 2 charge socket, meaning long travels are out of the question.

I had a Bolt with a level 2 only, it takes a good 11 hours for a full charge, level 1 was over 30 hours.

Hybrids have the issue of having 2 systems, so double the possible problems, battery packs are also subject to failure and although cheaper than a full EV pack, you can be set back $8000 in 10 years.

Full EV's are only good for retired folk and people who stay in town, Hybrids are only good if you plan on getting a new car every 8 years.
I've read a lot of good reviews on Prius's lasting 250k/350kmi and their battery packs are OG, plus still driving them.

I've read a lot of good reviews on Prius's lasting 250k/350kmi and their battery packs are OG, plus still driving them.
Years in service degrades cells more than milage.
A lot of Priuses are Taxies so they put on a ton of miles in a short amount of time.

They also used to use NiMh which age better than lithium.

A lot of Priuses are Taxies so they put on a ton of miles in a short amount of time.

Hybrids do have a high level of complexity that need the people in the white shop coats to have a hope of fixing them.
I know some folks who have a high mileage 10 year old Lexus hybrid that has been perfectly reliable but that is just one car and an expensive one at that.

I'm just going to stick to my gas vehicles for as long as possible.

Hybrids do have a high level of complexity that need the people in the white shop coats to have a hope of fixing them.
I know some folks who have a high mileage 10 year old Lexus hybrid that has been perfectly reliable but that is just one car and an expensive one at that.

I'm just going to stick to my gas vehicles for as long as possible.
The electrical system is surprisingly simple, the problem comes in that you need to know the procedures because you'll be extra crispy if you don't. Standard procedure is to have a 10 foot fiberglass pole nearby so they can pry your corpse off of it before it bursts into flames.

New prius is Lithium, as are all current Toyota hybrids.

The reason they last is the same reason it took so long for Toyota to adopt lithium batteries. Toyota doesn't play around when it comes to reliability and safety. They would not put a lithium battery in their vehicles until they could come up with a battery pack that was completely safe and had a very long service live. The spent the last 10-15 years doing research and testing while everybody else just slapped things together. I have a Nissan now, but I have been a toyota fan-boy most of my life. All of the best and most reliable cars I have ever owned have been Toyotas. Just ask the 1992 Tercel I had with almost 300k miles on it. The engine and trans were still good too, what took it out was corrosion on the main wiring harness bulkhead.

Batteries in hybrids are also not like a true EV with long discharge and charge rates. Since the engine acts to help charge the battery pack they can program the system to maintain charge levels between say 80 and 20%, which has a HUGE impact on cell longevity. Even with an EV battery pack, charging from 10% only up to 80% increases cell life by over 400% on average.

Back