The craziness continues

A good excuse to learn is changing weak 14 gauge spokes to 12 gauge. My 32 hole wheel with 12 gauge spokes feels a lot stronger than my 36 hole wheel laced with 14 gauges. I was visiting my favorite bike shop one day and I watched the owner pull an eliptical shaped rim into perfect tune in 15 minutes. It was like watching a Maestro directing a symphony.

Does anyone else have trouble balancing multiple projects? As I was finishing up my current build, a buddy brought me a 1995 Polaris 300 4 x 4 that had been ridden hard and put up wet, as my dear old dad would say. Couldn't resist diving in, so the Shanghai Scrambler has been put on the back burner. So I have to switch my mind from working on a simple motorized bike to working on an ATV with 4 wheel drive, reverse, and a CVT. I feel like a kid who's yanked out of a soap box derby and thrown into a NASCAR pit crew! This thing is a beast.

Does anyone else have trouble balancing multiple projects? As I was finishing up my current build, a buddy brought me a 1995 Polaris 300 4 x 4 that had been ridden hard and put up wet, as my dear old dad would say. Couldn't resist diving in, so the Shanghai Scrambler has been put on the back burner. So I have to switch my mind from working on a simple motorized bike to working on an ATV with 4 wheel drive, reverse, and a CVT. I feel like a kid who's yanked out of a soap box derby and thrown into a NASCAR pit crew! This thing is a beast.
I have half a dozen projects I bounce between. I generally work on one until I get fed up with it and work on another until I get fed up with it, and the cycle continues lol.

Those polaris fourwheelers are something else entirely lol. My polaris 400 2 stroke is a beast, but boy can she be temperamental.

Hope to make mine scream tomorrow. The starter solenoid is toast so only pull start which means I might be out of action for a few days.
The battery on mine died so I've just been pull starting it. I need to put new chains, a new battery, rerun the leaking fueline, and replace the shock bushings. Otherwise it's in great shape.

20240224_164922.jpg

Yours looks like it's in good shape. Mine is green, too. According to the owner's manual, running without a battery will damage the reverse speed limiter and lights. I was going to patch my wife's Vino battery in for the test run.

Yours looks like it's in good shape. Mine is green, too. According to the owner's manual, running without a battery will damage the reverse speed limiter and lights. I was going to patch my wife's Vino battery in for the test run.
The only thing I have found that it could damage is the 4wd transfer if you try to switch it without charge. I will replace the battery soon, but I don't use it alot currently so it's not an issue. Mine is a '94 and it absolutely rips.

Hear ya, GW. I know you're not supposed to look a gift horse in the mouth, but this ATV has been ridden hard and put up wet! I never catered to ATVs, but this one fell into my lap and I couldn't resist tearing into it. One thing I don't understand about Polaris is their tendency to use Allen head bolts in hard to get to locations or places where mud and water accumulates causing them to rust. Take the running board bolts, for example. Not only are they rusted, they're recessed so you can't get vice grips on them. Any tips?

Back