Engine Trouble Stripped Exhaust Bolts

1/4-20 is slightly larger than a m6. to go to m8, you are going to need to drill. Good luck finding an m7 screw, not common at all.
they will probably tap the thing for me for free, i live in a really small town, i tip them great, and when i need something like a gasket or a soda they give it to me for free

then by all means do it, lol. Nothing like free!!! Way better deal than buying it. They are only like 5 bucks though, and a 3 foot stick of all thread rod is like 10 bucks.

Your not going to find it. not easily or at the hardware store. Its a rarely used thread. I can't even tell you anything that uses it. An m8 is the head stud size, so you know how big tht is. I wouldn't go any bigger than 5/16 if you plan on drilling. As for using metric, your only real options are to drill out to m8, not sure is that is to big or not. or fill and re tap to m6

I'm gonna add my 2 cents worth.

If the hardware store is gonna tap it for you, have them tap it 1/4x20 and show them what length bolts or stud your gonna need They will get it for you.
The reason you want to use 1/4x20 is because the thread pitch is more course than the metric 6mm or 7mm and it has a less chance of pulling out the threads again.
I/4"x 20 is the common fix to repair stripped (pulled) out 6 mm threads in M/C aluminum cases
Also since it's the exhaust you want course thread not fine threads

40 bucks, vs 5 for a tap and 10 for some all thread or a buck for two bolts. lol. I'm going tap and all thread rod. lol. Although I have a huge bag of helicoils somewhere. Got them for free because they were over 5 years old and not selling. Work threw them out. I asked before they hit the trash. I'd see if I had tht size, but still drilling and taping needed. An he'd have it fixed before I found and mailed one if I had it. lol

Back