Strengthening chewed up lower case

Al Regresar

Local time
10:39 PM
Chain cut loose and chewed up part of the engine case part by the sprocket. To support the sprocket cover, I built up layers of JB weld and pieces of carbon fiber for case support. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 4F157F26-CA15-4AB6-9C2C-AE1C7AAEAE7F.jpeg
    4F157F26-CA15-4AB6-9C2C-AE1C7AAEAE7F.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 69
You might want to build something to help support that outer cover.
Definitely. I bought one of those chain case guards that are about the size of a postage stamp. They come with 2 small Allen bolts that will go through the material that I built up (1/4 “ thick). The chain took out part of the roof of that outer cover along with the third bolt hole for the cover. That will go back on with a longer bolt that also goes through the plate. I just love playing with carbon fiber to be honest…

Definitely. I bought one of those chain case guards that are about the size of a postage stamp. They come with 2 small Allen bolts that will go through the material that I built up (1/4 “ thick). The chain took out part of the roof of that outer cover along with the third bolt hole for the cover. That will go back on with a longer bolt that also goes through the plate. I just love playing with carbon fiber to be honest…
Ahoy Al Regresar!
Maybe I missed it, but what is your bikes chain size? I just installed a NIB 66cc Pk 80 engine and the included 415 drive chain. I've logged maybe 1/2 mile on it. The 415 chain is such a tight fit that it "fitted" itself by cutting a small arc into the engine case-Gearhead437

Ahoy Al Regresar!
Maybe I missed it, but what is your bikes chain size? I just installed a NIB 66cc Pk 80 engine and the included 415 drive chain. I've logged maybe 1/2 mile on it. The 415 chain is such a tight fit that it "fitted" itself by cutting a small arc into the engine case-Gearhead437
Is your sprocket true, loose, or aligned? Seems like it shouldn’t be grinding into the case at all.

If the drive sprocket was made for a standard dimension bike chain, I would have used a spare KMC K1, as was used on my 49cc. There simply isn't enough room inside the bucking bar pivot assembly to prevent this from happening. I discovered this when trying to thread the drive chain onto the drive sprocket, with the spark plug removed and the clutch disengaged:( Between the 415 chain and the oversized tires, there's just not much wiggle room, fore to aft or side to side. When these tires wear out, I will be replacing them with 26 x 1.75 tires:)-Gearhead437

Back