Should a piston look like this

daveet66

Local time
2:42 PM
My last zeda engine was great but thought I'd take it on a long ride made it 5 miles then it dies couldn't get spark after that I checked magneto plug and cdi still no spark! Is this normal the way the piston should look?

Attachments

• 20230608_192120.jpg
    20230608_192120.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 20230608_192456.jpg
    20230608_192456.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 103
it dies couldn't get spark after that I checked magneto plug and cdi still no spark!
NO spark...That means It is one of four things, bad magneto, bad CDI unit, bad spark plug, or a combination of two or more of the previously mentioned items.

It could even be as simple as bad connections on the wires where they plug into the CDI unit or a shut down button switch grounding out.

Can you take closer pictures of the top of the piston? It looks like something has been bouncing around in there and has completely messed up the top of the piston... also take some pictures of the cylinder bore. It's hard to tell what is carbon buildup vs something bouncing around in there.

It does look like a foreign piece scarred the piston top.
You need to check if both wrist pin clips are still in.
Check the cylinder bore for scars.

It definitely looks like something bounced around on top the piston while it was running.

A more detailed investigation is warranted here to determine the cause before just putting it back together and running it.
Otherwise more damage may follow.

Back