Not a smart choice

Well Here is my first update.
As I reported earlier the tires are...

1) very firm but not at all harsh ride.
2) The rolling resistance is noticeably less. (Like a high pressure tire)
3) Turns and feels almost sporty.
4) The narrow tire gives the bike a board track racer look.

I will also add that the sportier ride gives you a feeling of instant response unlike the tires that came with the bike. The original tires felt almost stuck in a straight line and had to be forcibly made to turn or lean in a turn.

With the 1.95 solid tires it feels like a sports car ready and willing to respond to your steering or lean input. I personally do like the firm ride. It feels like you are riding on high pressure tires. I estimate the feel to be similar to 60-70 psi in a normal tire. The confidence that I will not be getting a flat ever is a welcome feeling.

Would I recommend them? So far yes I think I would as long as the above results I am reporting would be to your liking. It is summer now and I will find out how well these do in the extreme heat. I will report my long term finding if I can find the time that is.

That tach was the sum total of damage to the bike in that flat tire crash other than a scratch on the rear brake lever and the front fender.

That crash was what motivated me to look for a tire that won't go flat. An instant flat front tire at speed is the scariest ride I have ever attempted and would not wish it on anyone.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 201
  • front side view.jpg
    front side view.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 213
  • rear side view.jpg
    rear side view.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 223
  • tacometer.jpg
    tacometer.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 203
Never compromise on tires&tubes,next to brakes (DUAL& INDEPENDENT) they are what keep you alive out there.

Well I have a final report.

While the ride is fine and firmness is good. The tire wear is unacceptable on these solid tires. I have 160 miles on them and the rear tire shows quite a bit of tread wear. I find it unacceptable even with factoring in rider weight and the seat being moved back about 2.5" with the optional whizzer seat post.

Once the tires wear out it will be back to thorn resistant tubes and tuffy liners for me. Too bad because I really liked the peace of mind the solid tires gave me. :cry:

I may find that the wear stops as it is mostly the center high spot wearing flatter. I doubt it since the amount of wear is astonishing, to me it seemed that way anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a chance to take a picture of the tire. I sent them to the company that makes them too but the engineer is on vacation for two weeks. We shall see what they say about this development.

PS: The last photo is the front tire with the same miles but less wear.

Attachments

• Rear tire wear 60 miles.jpg
    Rear tire wear 60 miles.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 176
  • side view rear 60 miles.jpg
    side view rear 60 miles.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 190
  • Front tire wear 60 miles.jpg
    Front tire wear 60 miles.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 174
Back