Title problem

Khris

Local time
6:32 AM
Through the passing of my grandfather a couple of years back, I was left a 1947 whizzer J(as far as we can tell). The problem I’m having is that when he got it, it was crashed and for free on the side of the road in the mid 50s. No bill of sale, no title, no idea how the original owner was. I’ve been looking into getting it licensed but keep running into the problem of no paperwork. Does anyone have some advice on where I should be going from here?

Through the passing of my grandfather a couple of years back, I was left a 1947 whizzer J(as far as we can tell). The problem I’m having is that when he got it, it was crashed and for free on the side of the road in the mid 50s. No bill of sale, no title, no idea how the original owner was. I’ve been looking into getting it licensed but keep running into the problem of no paperwork. Does anyone have some advice on where I should be going from here?
Contact your local DMV and ask them what it'll take to put a vintage vehicle on the road which has no paperwork.

First thing is a title search on the VIN#.
On something that old (1947); a record of a Vin # may not exist. In 1947 the Whizzer may not have required a tittle depending on where you're talking about.

The DMV should be able to help him with what procedures are necessary. It's no different than coming across an old car/truck/motorcycle with no paperwork.

On something that old (1947); a record of a Vin # may not exist. In 1947 the Whizzer may not have required a tittle depending on where you're talking about.

The DMV should be able to help him with what procedures are necessary. It's no different than coming across an old car/truck/motorcycle with no paperwork.
Just what I was thinking as well. Where I live anyway the tittle search is the first step.

Just what I was thinking as well. Where I live anyway the tittle search is the first step.
Back in 09 I was given my spitfire, no title. The owner took it as payment for work done, all I had was a bill of sale. I then had to take the bill of sale to a notary and attest to it's origins. I then sent a letter to the DMV with the notary's letter. The DMV sent me a new bill of sale (blank) and the address of the current registered owner. I sent the DMV's letter, registered mail to the address provided. The letter was returned to me unopened, I then took the unopened letter to the registers office and all the info from the car and was given a title. Easy peasy, just take 4 months.

Back in 09 I was given my spitfire, no title. The owner took it as payment for work done, all I had was a bill of sale. I then had to take the bill of sale to a notary and attest to it's origins. I then sent a letter to the DMV with the notary's letter. The DMV sent me a new bill of sale (blank) and the address of the current registered owner. I sent the DMV's letter, registered mail to the address provided. The letter was returned to me unopened, I then took the unopened letter to the registers office and all the info from the car and was given a title. Easy peasy, just take 4 months.
I would like to comment, I still have that letter unopened in a safety deposit box, ICBC never opened it, just gave it back to me.

My dad had an old yamaha rd250 he didn't have registration for and he had to show proof that he tried to find the registration. Basically he wrote a letter and mailed it to the previous owner and he never replied so they gave him the registration. Basically if you don't have registration they look at the bike as stolen

I just need to get my ct90 put together and safety inspected and they'll give me a title since it had never been registered. It's kinda a pain to get a title in Oregon unless it never did get registered.

Back