new push trailer in the works!

Keep us posted! The bike trailer thing is starting to catch on now, and it's nice to see what types of trailers are being built!

6HP will have plenty of torque, and it would be nice to see someone finally getting a vertical shaft engine on a trailer!

they sure do turn heads !!!

the push trailer definately turns more heads and gets people looking at it!

Mainly because it is much more visible I am thinking.

turn more heads -- THAT'S FOR SURE

an old friend down the mountain built a pusher many, many years ago
I saw him again on it recently -- it's still up and running
a pooolice person gave him a ticket for riding his pusher MB
he went to court and took some pictures of MB to judge

JUDGE WROTE ACROSS THE FACE OF THE TICKET
DO NOT WRITE ANYMORE OF THESE -- DISMISSED

hard for anyone not to love a pusher
they look so original -- old school

ride that thing

Can anyone help me figure out what size drive pulley I need? My driver pulley is 2" and my tires are 8" the engine rpm that I want to run is around 2200 what size drive pulley do I need? Estimated desirable top speed is 30 mph give or take a little as long as it's close I don't care that much. I don't know how to figure this stuff but, I can't afford to buy several belts and pulleys. All help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Randall

Right away I see more speed by changing your wheels to larger ones. Even 20 inch BMX front wheels bolted in by the original axles somehow.
If you change your drive pulley to 4 inch with the small wheels that would double your speed. So let's say high gear on a regular self propelled mower is about 4 mph. With the 4 inch your top speed may be 8 mph. Now add in your wheels. 8 inch wheels to 16 inch kiddie bike wheels should double it again to 16 mph. So a 20 inch wheel should bring that up another 8 mph or is it 4 mph?
So top speed would be 20 or 24 mph.
Remember though the larger the drive pulley the faster you will be asking your gearbox to spin.
Changing your 2 inch drive pulley to 4 would double your gearbox speeds.
So take away gear box speeds and just to say that it can handle it (it probably can anyway) I would go with a 6 inch drive pulley and 20 inch wheels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help. My end results do involve changing of the wheels but, for now I want to stay with the small ones until I get all the bugs worked out to keep the center of gravity real low. So maybe an 8 inch drive pulley with the 8 inch wheels and when finished working out the bugs changing to the 16 or 20 inch wheels I have laying around? Would that give me enough speed to test with out of the smaller 8 inch wheels?

Unfortunatley/fortunatley I've been too busy lately with work and the sickness going through my 5 kids to work on it. Then add on top of it no garage to work on it with our temps here being a little to cold to work on at night. I'm thinking though that I might try to add some 26 inch wheels to it, to try and keep the gear box spinning at a slower speed but, right now I'd just be happy to get it going at any speed to see how it's going to work out. Hopefully I'll get the chance to work on it over the next few days.

Back