My first CUSTOM build

Ok, so I see everyone building their bike I figured I'd start my own build thread in hopes that I can get some good feedback and if anything ideas on where to go with everything. Here is a pic of the jig I setup and the bike sitting in roughly the place it will stand once done. This is a one off build and will be built with chromoly tubing, a pit bike engine, and a jackshaft assembly similar to what I have seen on the motopeds.com build and sickbikeparts jackshaft setup. What I have on order that should be here in a few days: exhaust, handle bars, sprockets for wheel and jack shaft, and disk brakes. What I have now: head tube, wheels and tires, engine, seat, track ends, throttle, carb, (air filter on order). What was custom made: the rear hub which is a dual disk rear from Phil Woods..This will give me disk brakes and bolt holes for the sprocket on either side of the hub. Tires are Hookworms and Halo SAS rims with a Halo Spin doctor from hub...using a Manitou Circus front fork(really stout little fork for the price)..Using a Cane Creek headset and the head tube is a 44mm 4130 tube from paragon machine works. Whats needed: tubing(measurments for tubing), 3/4" shaft for sprockets to ride on, a custom made bottom bracket or I might decide to go with SBP wide bottom bracket setup but not sure if will be wide enough for what I need(if anyone has exact measurements of how wide it is after pedals installed that would be awesome)

Now let me know your feedback..PLEASE!! 20131229_193439.jpg

Man, where have I been...crazy times. Sorry guys for the long pause on this build. Wanted to give whoever is actually reading this a heads up on where things are at. I've been working with Pirate Cycles getting their hubs going and just got side tracked. Currently I have the bike at the shop getting the exhaust tig welded up and a custom tank being worked out. After that she will be on the road. During this time away I have been doing some thinking which is not always a good thing when it comes to custom builds and wanting everything to be crazy cool. I was thinking about mounting 21" motorcycle rims and tires to this build and seeing how it goes. I think I have just enough space to get away with 80/90-21" Tires but won't know a hundred percent until I get bike back as I need to measure the front fork to see if I have that much space to squeeze in a tire in the front that is 3/4" wider that the current Hookworms I have on this build. If I do not I was thinking of either going with a fat tire front fork or actually just leaving it be and doing another build but using motorcycle forks and a wider stance in the rear and a 200cc honda engine...or just stay with the current engine but use a 150 or 190cc engine since it will still have gears. I have also worked a way to get it registered if I do decide to go that route but time will tell. I need to first get this one on the road and see if anyone likes it and if it means I might be able to sell it as a frame kit. I just have my hands in way to many cookie jars and all the cookies taste AWESOME!!! Check back in with you guys hopefully within a week when Pirate Cycles hubs hit and hopefully my bike is fully finished.

Never Thought Possible

You know when I started this build I never thought possible that I would have the amount of views I have on it...Kind of crazy how the internet works but wanted to keep it going for those who like reading new things on other people's builds and to give them ideas on their own builds like I do. I've got the exhaust done..FINALLY...last real piece to bike is the gas tank..I will also be mounting up the new hub to the bike as well.

Attachments

• IMAG0851[1].jpg
    IMAG0851[1].jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_20141106_183159[1].jpg
    IMG_20141106_183159[1].jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_20141106_183523[1].jpg
    IMG_20141106_183523[1].jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 366
almost there..

Almost there..this has been a huge challenge for me to get this build done but she is almost done. Wiring and gas tank fitment is all that is needed. Figured I'd throw up some pics and see what you guys think.

Attachments

• IMAG0913.jpg
    IMAG0913.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 317
  • IMAG0910.jpg
    IMAG0910.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 325
  • IMAG0911.jpg
    IMAG0911.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 323
Well it's a decent look and I'll say that honestly but the overall weight VS performance is likely suspect. But with an 8 speed rear hub that was locked out of freewheel feature to shift the bike up or down the bike would be hard to argue with as a single speed it counts the hairs on my ass
over my left shoulder all day long without a doubt...Maybe

Well it's a decent look and I'll say that honestly but the overall weight VS performance is likely suspect. But with an 8 speed rear hub that was locked out of freewheel feature to shift the bike up or down the bike would be hard to argue with as a single speed it counts the hairs on my ass

considering that these engines can be obtained producing over 20 hp, and having in built 4 speed gearboxes with 5 and 6 speed upgrades available... i dont think performance will ever be an issue? surely theres a reason theyre used on motorcycles? i recall cracking the 140km/h mark on a 125. maybe thats not enough performance though...

ooooh, i know whats needed... a nice bling oil cooler :)

Robot, this bike will obtain speeds of up to 55 maybe 60mph. The gearing on this IS NOT a problem. I'm not sure if your a China girl style engine but if you don't know much about these engines..they are built well. The internal four speed is nice..whether someone runs a semi auto or fully auto they are nice. With the jackshaft setup this thing works nice as a single speed peddler as well not that I'll be peddling much..and the weight on this bike is right on par with what you would see on a motoped bike and those guys are running an easy 35 to 40mph using this engine. Some way faster with the bigger engines...best part is these engines are so readily available it's insane and the mods are endless...go to any Honda dealership and pick one up..find any craigslist dirt bike for the most part and you'll find a engine that has same bolt pattern and size to the engine I have..where is your ride robot?

you ever ride anything with a lifan 125 on it? a 300 pound idiot can make one hit 50, trade the pounds for brain cells and throw in a little cash and I wouldn't be surprised if 80 was doable.

Well, I've got the bike oiled up..should have wiring plate mounted this weekend and make shift gas tank and hopefully have a small video of her running. Thinking of mounting an aluminum plate to the bottom of engine where typically the foot pegs go for all the electrical..Will also double as the mount for a battery pack. Hopefully my thought process on this pans out. LOL

This thing here is mighty impressive, I'm highly interested in how this turns out. It looks like you've done this with quite a lot of expertise and thought, with blueprints, autocad and whatnot, this thing is likely to turn out a Ferrari among bikes!

Back