Clutch HT Clutch puck source??

Hi Jim.
I'd appreciate if the diagrams of the engine parts you talking about is in some kind of a booklet or what's it includes as I'd like to have as many images of motor as possible as booklet with my engine wasn't the right one.My motor is a 80cc EK.
Regards.Vlad.

machiasmort,

You are certainly welcome!

Anytime you need a 3D diagram of any part of the engine, just let me know.

Jim

Last edited:
I took the clutch plate off my new grubee starfire gen II that I haven't fired up yet. it has the square pucks and they are glued on. I couldn't tell if there is a recess for the pucks to fit in. The material has white fiber cord through it like a tire would have but it seems to be a stiffer material than tire rubber (I poked it with a knife)...seems like a brake shoe lining to me. I wasn't able to measure the puck thickness.

I Went back into the Clutch today and Where I thought the pucks were glued on was really just the pucks crammed in so tight that I couldn't tell they were forced in. They are just tire sidewall and I measured mine at 6.5mm thick. Sorry for the misinformation in the earlier post.

You would be well served to reform the pucks on a file or rough sandpaper. Just rub the edges, round the corners until the pucks fit loosely in the holes. You might be surprised how well that little clutch works (and you may have to readjust your star nut.)

Last edited:
wanderer33

Hi Pablo.
I'd like to ask some questions concerning clutch, I wrote once before
but you didn't answer yet, I'd like to know though, is there any where some
instructions how to change the pads or pucks ?
I'll appreciate if you let me know, Vlad.

You would be well served to reform the pucks on a file or rough sandpaper. Just rub the edges, round the corners until the pucks fit loosely in the holes. You might be surprised how well that little clutch works (and you may have to readjust your star nut.)

Hi Pablo.
I'd like to ask some questions concerning clutch, I wrote once before
but you didn't answer yet, I'd like to know though, is there any where some
instructions how to change the pads or pucks ?
I'll appreciate if you let me know, Vlad.

I don't remember you asking, sorry about that if I missed it.

Easy:

1) Remove clutch cover
2) Remove flower nut (retainer screw first, naturally)
3) set spring, screw and nut aside with the outer clutch plate
4) pull pads out one by one with a hooked pick or just a pick
5) Replace pads as necessary, but make sure they fit quite loosely. (IMPORTANT!!)
6) Reinstall - don't forget the spring
7) Adjust clutch as necessary
8) Replace cover

I tried Pablo's suggestion about sanding the clutch pucks to "float" in the pockets more loosely and I saw a big improvement in my clutch. I did have to adjust the flower wheel tighter after riding around a bit.
try it you'll like it. My pucks were punched out bits of tire consisting of rubber, chord and bits of steel belting, so I had no qualms about sanding them on my belt sander.

Thanks for the tip Pablo! :cool:

Hi Jim

Can you tell me what you think, how long the clutch would last if right out of the box, I am installing cent. clutch and never opening (disengaging) the clutch??? I am thinking it would last the life of the motor??? Opinions??? thanks...POPS (Rick)

mine lasted 4000kms, they just wore out today and now i need to make something new, but dont burn the clutch, peddle to 17kph before releaseing, aslong as you dont burn the clutch it should last along time, i burned mine a bit at stop lights

edit* sorry didnt realize you said centrifugal, my bad

Last edited:
Back