Clutch HT Clutch puck source??

Hi Jim

Can you tell me what you think, how long the clutch would last if right out of the box, I am installing cent. clutch and never opening (disengaging) the clutch??? I am thinking it would last the life of the motor??? Opinions??? thanks...POPS (Rick)

Hello Rick,

Since you are using a centrifugal set-up without any intention of using the mechanical clutch...Yes it should last forever.

But...If you want to guarantee this, you must ensure that the mechanical clutch is locked at all times. If it slips just a bit, and you may not know it, it will wear.

If you're sure you'll never need it, tighten the star nut and loosen or disconnect the clutch cable.

Jim

Just a quick suggestion: if you're stuck for clutch pads, down a few bottles of wine and make the pads out of the corks- an old trick!

Out of interest, my clutch pads are set into little pockets rather than being loose.

Took my clutch cover off again- this is a new engine kit (well new to me anyway!).

The pads appear to be set in little pockets in the flywheel and I didn't try too hard get one out- they're pretty well stuck in there. I'd like to use it before destroying it!

There may be another friction plate behind the flywheel but I'm not taking it all apart- maybe when it's worn out:cool:

Here are a few photos- poor qual but you'll get the idea:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z173/andynogo/chinaclutch1.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z173/andynogo/chinaclutch2.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z173/andynogo/chinaclutch3.jpg

I'm willing to bet a cold one your clutch design is the same as the other HT engines. Interesting color pucks. But yeah - RIDE that thing! Then when necessary, pop one out.

BTW - my pucks from Zoom showed up yesterday. I'll try to measure both today - wow they do look MUCH thicker than my used pads. I need to ride my bike - BAD!!!

You're probably right- they're all probably a copy of a copy.

Anyway, might be hard to get that cold one over to you from here!:D

BTW - my pucks from Zoom showed up yesterday. I'll try to measure both today - wow they do look MUCH thicker than my used pads. I need to ride my bike - BAD!!!

Well I was out to lunch on one thing. The new pucks are the same thickness as the old ones - so it wasn't a wear issue.

BUT the new pucks don't fit worth a darn - they are way too tight, and do NOT move, and hence they do NOT work. My clutch slips worse than before. I can't get the flower nut tight enough to grip at all. This whole mess sucks. I'll dig the new pucks back out and some how BAM reshape them to fit lightly.

Hi Pablo.
It's always good to do business with you, only for now, you're talking about clutches, I have a motor with close to 1000 miles on it and everything
is working well as yet, but I'd like to know ahead, after what mileage should one start worrying about clutch starting to wear out and slip as I would buy the part before hand to be ready, also the clutch part that you bought at
Zoom worked? I had a look at Zoom site and all I have seen was the bicycle parts, would appreciate, if you supplied an e-mail address for buying the clutch,
I have a 80cc EK Chines motor.
Also I'd like to add a kind of obvious opinion or a suggestion, concerning the
clutch.
A we know we must slow down and stop a lot, but I thing one can extend
the life of a clutch, when starting, to bring the bike up to speed by pedaling,
before you engage clutch again. Regards. Vlad.

If I had the time. I may be doing just that.

But I went ahead and bought the set from Zoom just to see what I get and to get riding.

Back