How many mods have you done to your Whizzer?

Couldn't find any other Whizzer picture threads, so hope I don't get lynched for bringing up a nearly 5 year old thread with a pic of mine..

So far in the few years I've had it I've removed all reflectors, belt cover, ditched the factory WC1 handlebars, custom front springer, removed intake restrictor, exhaust baffle, advanced timing one tooth,Iridium spark plug,custom tail light... And a few other things I'm forgetting.I've got a NE5 cylinder along with a milled head and bigger carb in the works for it...

SyNFAUI.jpg

Last edited:
Punk,

That is a sweet looking bike. I'd like to see some pics from the side to compare notes with mine on the lowered handlebars topic. I used a BMX stem to get things real low, then found some 3.5" rise 21" wide cruiser handlebars. One problem I see you may also still have (as I still do) is the extra long cables (once you lower the bars).

Here's a couple pics of my 2007 NE5.

20140309_134831.jpg

20140309_134905.jpg

20140309_134917.jpg

20140309_134819.jpg

I'm also interested in the springer fork you used (how do you like it, does it flex, etc) and how did you attach the headlight?

Last edited:
Thanks Atom,
Here are a couple more pics.. Hope they help.
I'm actually still using the stock neck on mine, it used sit higher, but the springer helped solved that problem.

Yeah, the long cables look a little messy, but still don't bug me as much as the stock handle bars, neck height and forks did, so I just deal with it.

The springers are one offs,I can't take credit for building the forks,however, I had to do a few mods to the forks to get them to work properly on my bike. I haven't had the springers on my bike for that long, but so far I like it WAY BETTER than the stock forks, aesthetically and function wise. I'm 220 LBS and I would bottom out with the stock forks going up driveways, with the springers I don't feel that. The spring is surprisingly pretty stiff. They are also lighter than the stock forks.
The stock headlight is attached to a custom bracket that was integrated to the spring bolt mount by weld.

I like the color on your NE5... Is that a 50 MPH white faced speedo on your bike? I just put one on my bike today.

u2eQJO6.jpg

KRKV1EL.jpg

Thanks for the photos and clarification on your cable lengths. That is indeed a white 50mph Speedo on my bike, I think that may have been stock on the NE5?

Is that the Springer fork that whizzerpaul had for sale? I was on the fence regarding the look of the Springer but I really like three look of it on your bike.

Love the black on yours; can't go wrong with black.

I think the white 50MPH speedo did come stock on the NE5s, not sure though. Does it seem pretty accurate to you?

Yes, I bought the forks from Paul, he said another guy tried to mount them to his bike and couldn't get them to work.

Yeah, you can't go wrong with a classy, neutral color like black.

Here's my Whizz.
It's a 26", 2005 NE5 in pearl red.
First thing I did was advance the cam timing 1 tooth and opened up the intake restrictor.
I rode it bone stock for a while, then decided it needed more power :devilish:
It's been ported, head was shaved .065", carb was re-jetted and a 3rd Millenium Energy auto clutch was added.
I made a new muffler for it by cutting the end caps off the factory one and welding them to a length of chromed 1" pipe (the pipe was "swiss cheesed" in the center, then wrapped in the original fiberglass batting)
I trimmed the belt cover to remove the section that covered the flywheel to make it look more like the vintage covers.
I replaced the factory bars and stem with a set of 7/8" motorycle "Clubman bars", mounted upside down in a BMX style gooseneck.
The rear fender was removed, and the front fender was put in the back to get that bobber look.
The top of the seatpost tube on the frame was cut flush with the top-tube, and the seatpost clamp was relocated to get the bottom of the seat flush with the top of the frame.
I made up a new license plate/tail-light mount and moved them both to the left side of the bike, license plate running vertical along the top frame stay.
Replaced the original chain ring with a billet aluminum, BMX Iron Cross
Tires are Kenda flames.

After letting the bike sit for a couple years, I have just pulled it out for an overhaul.
It's now getting a set of mushroom lifters, stiffer valve springs, a new carb and intake spacer, more porting work, better brakes and a few more aesthetic touches (mainly re-wiring it to hide the mass of black spaghetti below the tank).

IM000996.jpg

IM000400.jpg

PAGearhead,
You are correct. The white faced, 50mph speedo did come stock on the NE5's.
Here's the one that came on my 2005....
IM000395.jpg

I wish I would have snagged one of the matching white faced tachometers when they were available. I've been on the look-out for one, but, they seem to have become quite rare (like all the other good Whizzer accessories :cry: )

K-Wad,

That's what I thought about the speedometer, does yours seem pretty accurate?
I just got one for my WC1 but haven't got to test it out yet since I'm waiting on my new 26mm carb to arrive.

I wanted to go the Bobber route on my bike, but, I just really like the look of the front fender too much.. I also wanted to do exactly what you did with your seatpost tube, however I was a little worried about cutting part of the frame..

You got a pic of where you relocated the seatpost clamp? I can't really see it in those pics.

BTW, I used to live not far from you in Pomona from '08-2013..

I gotta say I'm really impressed with what's been done with all the whizzer here. Its good to see fresh eyes and positive insight here from you guys.

Thanks,
Ray

PAGH-

The speedo is probably within 1 or 2 mph +/-. Not super accurate, but, good enough for what it's for.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other pictures at this time, but, you can barely see the seatpost clamp in the first pic. It's located above the top motor mount.
To get it to work, I drilled four holes in the frame (like at the corners of a rectangle .5" wide by 1.5" tall) then made cuts between the holes in a capital "I" shape. (Hopefully that makes some kind of sense).

I know Pomona quite well. I grew up on the Glendora/San Dimas border. We were close enough to the fairgrounds that you could hear them running the top-fuel dragsters when the Winternationals were going on.

Hi Guys,

The speedometers are very close if used on a 26" wheel. If used on the 24" Whizzers is will be off approx. 10% [IE 50 MPH indicated is 45 MPH]

A few comments about valve springs and 26 MM carburetors.

There are some HD valve springs on the market that are WAY TO stiff, and will damage the valve stems where the "C" clip is attached. The stock valve springs with a 1/8" shim [washer] between the spring and the guide will be exactly what you want. Best choice is progressive springs with the shims. Turn tight end towards the valve guide.

If the 26 MM carburetor is not one of the original units used on the very first NE5s, it will never set up correctly, as the cut in the slide is wrong, the needle taper & length are wrong, the pilot jet is the wrong size, as is the main jet. The 26 MM carburetor used on the NE motors had very different internal parts than the current generic versions.

A few hints on how to make the 26 MM work slightly.
Change pilot jet to #32
Cut small slot [1/8"] in front of slide to allow it to idle [somewhat]
reduce main jet to #98
Lower needle to second from bottom [clip in 2 groove from top]
If stumbles at 1/4 throttle, replace needle with more taper

Can get parts from SUDCO in CA
Look for parts for a PZ26

Have fun,

Back