How do you Improve the Grip of a Drive Roller?

The oil slick makes it worse, but 2 lane blacktops in TX are bad about shallow dips that create puddles which resemble the regular road surface, especially when the whole road is wet.

We have the same problem in AZ. After a rain, it is REALLY slippery. It doesn't rain often, and when it does, for some time all the accumulated oil droplets that get dropped on the road surface floats to the top of the water as a thin, slippery oil film.

I think what you're talking about is not hydroplaning, but instead is the result of the tire getting a thin layer of lubrication between the rubber and the road.

I have a second 1.25" roller, and I'm trying to find someone with a band saw to notch it (standing on end), to make a sort of wide, straight cut gear out of it. If I can find someone to do it or let me use the saw, I will report back on the results.

check out the urethane wheels at bumblebee..mine works great! does anyone sell a urethane drive wheel? i would think they would?

I have the solution, but i've been quietly told that someone will smack me in the kisser and then super glue my mouth shut if i even dare to express a more reliable drive method :devilish:

I'm tempted to risk it all and give my advise but i'm experiencing anxiety and hesitation over the maelstrom it might create, and considering i'm already swimming for my life in this thread, i'm not sure if looking over my shoulder to avoid incoming mortar rounds is enough to keep me out of trouble :cry:

Urethane definatly works better than steel..you have to get the right grade of urethane..I use 95A and it grips excellent..I went through a puddle the other day and it didnt even slip at all i was amazed..im sure if i would have hit a couple more it would have. But i know for a fact the urethane works better than steel i have tried both. I used to think neoprene was the best material for a drive wheel but once i tried urethane it won the title..

Let me guess. You are suggesting a belt or chain drive. :) Yes, those get excellent traction, but have a couple disadvantages circumvented by friction drives.

Back