Harbor Freight - what sucks and what doesn't list

arceeguy

Local time
7:36 AM
Since we all like to tinker with mechanical things like our motorized bikes, and do it on a "low budget" - I thought it would be helpful to post which tools sold at HFT are good, and which ones are not.

I have found that most of the tools are OK if you are not a professional contractor/mechanic that depends on them every day - but there are some items that aren't worth the shipping from China. There's a reason why some have nicknamed them "horror freight". When I placed my first catalog order from them several years ago, they were "Harbor Freight Salvage". Where did the "salvage" go? I can risk $25 on a 4.5" grinder, but I wouldn't trust a HFT pacemaker!

Post your experiences both good and bad!

Also - let's not get into China bashing. It's all about getting cool tools cheap. For example, a HFT auto feed wire welder for 90 bucks can get a fellow MB enthusiast making custom frames where they wouldn't be able to afford the $500 Miller or Lincoln.

The Good-

Central Pneumatics 2HP pancake compressor. - I've had mine for several years now. It is oil lubricated with cast iron cylinder. Great for dusting things off with compressed air, and to run small air tools. I even run my IR 230C impact gun with it. (in short bursts, enough to knock off lug nuts with ease!) Can be had for $89 on sale.

4.5" Grinder - Had mine for about 5 years. It hasn't failed me yet! Gearbox is noisy, but my buddies Home Depot Ryobi is worse.

Bench Grinder w/flex shaft - I use this one a lot. I had to replace the brushes already! (it is about 3 years old)

3/8" butterfly impact wrench - Great for automotive work. Knocking off oil drain plugs, caliper bolts, etc. Small enough to fit in most spots, powerful enough to break small fasteners (less than 15mm bolt head) loose.

Electronic Fly Swatter - yep, this one is silly, but they had a pile of them on sale for $2.99. Kills flies and yellow jackets with a hearty "SNAP" and a bright blue spark.

Engine cleaning gun - add compressed air with some detergent mix and end up with a sparkling clean engine. (cars, lawn mowers, etc.) Works great on alloy rims blasting away brake dust with ease. I do have to crank up my 220V compressor to run it continuously, as the little HFT compressor cannot keep up.

6.5 HP Horizontal Shaft Engine - we beat the living carp out of these Honda GX clones and they keep coming back for more. Disable the governor, and keep it under 5000RPM! The ones I've purchased had the "Central Machinery" brand and were made by Lifan in China - a large motorcycle/scooter manufacturer. "Greyhound" is a new trade name for HFT. I have one of their new 2.5HP engines, but haven't powered anything with it yet. (it is going on a rack mount motorized bike project)

The Bad -

1/2" drive impact extension set - The metal is too soft and considerable energy is lost in the extension and not applied to the nut or bolt you are trying to hammer off. My Craftsman impact extensions are hard enough to transfer the power, yet not shatter like a standard extension would. The HFT set is the one I will loan out. :devil2: (Golden Rule #1 - Never loan out tools you actually want back!)

Anything cordless. (and less than say $35) The chargers are most likely overnight trickle chargers, the batteries self discharge in a week, the motors are not too powerful.

1/2" Drive Electric Impact Wrench - Rated at 240 lb/ft, I doubt it exceeds 120 lb/ft. Very disappointed. Another one to loan out. :)

1/2" Drive Impact Wrench - This one is kind of a toss up. For 20 bucks did I really expect it to deliver 250 lb/ft of torque? It doesn't, but I do use it quite a bit. I'll pull out the Ingersoll Rand impact if this one doesn't have the balls to do the job.

Since we all like to tinker with mechanical things like our motorized bikes, and do it on a "low budget" - I thought it would be helpful to post which tools sold at HFT are good, and which ones are not.

I have found that most of the tools are OK if you are not a professional contractor/mechanic that depends on them every day - but there are some items that aren't worth the shipping from China. There's a reason why some have nicknamed them "horror freight". When I placed my first catalog order from them several years ago, they were "Harbor Freight Salvage". Where did the "salvage" go? I can risk $25 on a 4.5" grinder, but I wouldn't trust a HFT pacemaker!

Post your experiences both good and bad!

Also - let's not get into China bashing. It's all about getting cool tools cheap. For example, a HFT auto feed wire welder for 90 bucks can get a fellow MB enthusiast making custom frames where they wouldn't be able to afford the $500 Miller or Lincoln.

The Good-

Central Pneumatics 2HP pancake compressor. - I've had mine for several years now. It is oil lubricated with cast iron cylinder. Great for dusting things off with compressed air, and to run small air tools. I even run my IR 230C impact gun with it. (in short bursts, enough to knock off lug nuts with ease!) Can be had for $89 on sale.

4.5" Grinder - Had mine for about 5 years. It hasn't failed me yet! Gearbox is noisy, but my buddies Home Depot Ryobi is worse.

Bench Grinder w/flex shaft - I use this one a lot. I had to replace the brushes already! (it is about 3 years old)

3/8" butterfly impact wrench - Great for automotive work. Knocking off oil drain plugs, caliper bolts, etc. Small enough to fit in most spots, powerful enough to break small fasteners (less than 15mm bolt head) loose.

Electronic Fly Swatter - yep, this one is silly, but they had a pile of them on sale for $2.99. Kills flies and yellow jackets with a hearty "SNAP" and a bright blue spark.

Engine cleaning gun - add compressed air with some detergent mix and end up with a sparkling clean engine. (cars, lawn mowers, etc.) Works great on alloy rims blasting away brake dust with ease. I do have to crank up my 220V compressor to run it continuously, as the little HFT compressor cannot keep up.

6.5 HP Horizontal Shaft Engine - we beat the living carp out of these Honda GX clones and they keep coming back for more. Disable the governor, and keep it under 5000RPM! The ones I've purchased had the "Central Machinery" brand and were made by Lifan in China - a large motorcycle/scooter manufacturer. "Greyhound" is a new trade name for HFT. I have one of their new 2.5HP engines, but haven't powered anything with it yet. (it is going on a rack mount motorized bike project)

The Bad -

1/2" drive impact extension set - The metal is too soft and considerable energy is lost in the extension and not applied to the nut or bolt you are trying to hammer off. My Craftsman impact extensions are hard enough to transfer the power, yet not shatter like a standard extension would. The HFT set is the one I will loan out. :devil2: (Golden Rule #1 - Never loan out tools you actually want back!)

Anything cordless. (and less than say $35) The chargers are most likely overnight trickle chargers, the batteries self discharge in a week, the motors are not too powerful.

1/2" Drive Electric Impact Wrench - Rated at 240 lb/ft, I doubt it exceeds 120 lb/ft. Very disappointed. Another one to loan out. :)

1/2" Drive Impact Wrench - This one is kind of a toss up. For 20 bucks did I really expect it to deliver 250 lb/ft of torque? It doesn't, but I do use it quite a bit. I'll pull out the Ingersoll Rand impact if this one doesn't have the balls to do the job.
Your "Good and bad" Headings are pretty much right on the money! I've been a licensed general contractor since 1994, and I've bought alot of stuff from there. Compressors, nailguns {all types}, hand tools, even remote control airplanes, etc. Anything that brakes, I bring back. All in all, pretty inexpensive and 15 minutes from my house.Great for zip ties, heat shields, schrink wrap- you get the picture. I'm totally against Communist China, but I let our scandalous Government deal with trade embargoes {none}. Good Luck

The Costco and Sam's club versions are over $200 and the base isn't stainless. And even though they are fairly heavy, they are a bit wobbly. Although the Sam's club $203 table is pretty nice. If you doubt me, check their web sites. Several of those are larger, but the space I have is perfect for the HF table. $149 is a good price. Anyway some people think the legs look small on the HF table, but they are pretty sturdy.

My workbench choice

About 20 years ago....I was in a condo with a one car garage and needed workspace and storage space along one wall to complete my Austin Healey restoration. I ended up buying the red and black workbenches (2) with the metal drawer bases and partical board tops. I covered the tops with a Dark Gray/tweed look carpet similar to what used to come in German cars.......I think it was hall runner carpet from Home depot. It has proven to be the perfect solution all these years. The tweed carpet still looks good after all these years of wrenching on various motorcycles and cars. Hides grease and dirt beautifully and has a nice cusion to it when I drop something on to the workbench surface. I have about 12 feet of linear workspace and can store an amazing amount of stuff underneath. In addition, I have the Sams club Stainless Steel mechanics tool chest for all my tools,... then along another wall in my current garage, I have 4 of those chrome metro style rolling shelf units each one set up for 3 interior shelves and the top shelf. I put 3 of the translucent (not quite clear) bi-fold tubs from sams on each shelf----I think I have about 24 of those.....they hold all my detailing supplies, high pressure lubricants, air tools, spray paints, touch up paints, HVLP sprayer, Spare Motorcycle parts, bicycle parts, car parts etc. Also have a rolling butcher block work bench that I never use for anything but a storage shelf.......may have to let it go to free up space in the garage for more motorcycles and motorized bicycles.

Brian

The Costco and Sam's club versions are over $200 and the base isn't stainless. And even though they are fairly heavy, they are a bit wobbly. Although the Sam's club $203 table is pretty nice. If you doubt me, check their web sites. Several of those are larger, but the space I have is perfect for the HF table. $149 is a good price. Anyway some people think the legs look small on the HF table, but they are pretty sturdy.

Last edited:
I bought the tool cart ITEM 47418 for $69 (one day special, sale price is $89, web $119). Took all my small frequent use tools and put them in the drawers, put all the stuff from the same table above and below. Voila! Cleared an entire assembly table. Awesome.

Cart is sturdy and a decent value. Locking tool drawers aren't bad. Casters are heavy duty.

What is no good is the assembly manual. Just put it together using your instincts - it's easy. Even if you are Ozzy, have an IQ of 7, no mechanical ability and on drugs, you really can't do worse than the manual. If you follow that smelly piece of toilet paper, they have you put the top tray in last - well guess what, since they changed the design and both sides are the same height, you won't be able to install the tray! Duh........

"you really can't do worse than the manual. If you follow that smelly piece of toilet paper,"

Some of us just can't get past smelling pamphlets after that experience with the 1970's PlayBoy scratch and sniff edition. Thank Heaven's at least I know I'm normal now.

All these good things to buy.

Lets not forget what sucks. Hose Clamps! They make the bolts that come with China Girl engines look strong. Really any of the screws or bolts are just bad, too.

Never seen hose clamps at Harbor Freight. Yeah - I think I'll use some for my oil system on my $300,000 Ferrari!

Anyone own the 6" buffer? ITEM 94393

It's on sale for $39, or is better to wait for the 8" buffer to go on sale?

Back