Wheels Good tips for reinforcing/supporting the wheel *Everyone should do this*

I suppose if you're running a drive ring, then soldering the spokes might be usefull.
But for a normal wheel, it defeats the whole point of spokes. The idea of a spoke isn't a ridgid way to secure the wheel in place, but a flexable spring that suspends the hub and absorbs shock and vibration. the spokes need to be free to slide past each other.

spoke sliding

I'm not quite sure how the spokes move in relation to the forces applied during loading and unloading. I think a stress test was done on a wheel with and without wrapping and I don't think they were able to measure any difference. This was reported in The Bicycle Wheel By Jobst Brandt The only thing that I might question is the measurement and computing power at the time of the books release was very primitive.

The fact that the tension is increased or reduced may happen without the spoke moving is up to debate. I think that if your going to spend the time to wrap and solder your wheel chances are that you spent a little extra time making sure that the wheel was almost perfect to begin with.

Mike Frye the bike guy

I suppose if you're running a drive ring, then soldering the spokes might be usefull.
But for a normal wheel, it defeats the whole point of spokes. The idea of a spoke isn't a ridgid way to secure the wheel in place, but a flexable spring that suspends the hub and absorbs shock and vibration. the spokes need to be free to slide past each other.

Sorry but I took the advice to mean that security of the spokes was important, not to "weld" them to each other, but to keep one from flying awry if it broke, and ruining ones day.

good way to think

:D I think that was the reason they did that in the first place. Since most chain driven motorbicycle chains are in motion all the time it could ruin your whole day if your chain eats a wayward spoke and collapses your wheel at speed.

That was the original reason the track racers did that because on a track bike there is also no stopping the chain and bad things could happen there for the same reasons. Only later did they seem to justify the tradition by analysis.(make the research prove the theory.) Neat looking wheels Bad science.

Just a thought.

Mike the bike guy:cool:

The idea of a spoke isn't a ridgid way to secure the wheel in place, but a flexable spring that suspends the hub and absorbs shock and vibration. the spokes need to be free to slide past each other.

Exactly right. Bicycle wheels generate stength from spokes under tension not compression.

afaik, zip ties aren't for reinforcing the wheel so much as helping to prevent more damage if you break a spoke while riding at speed.

I think the idea was that if you tie the spokes together when they brake they wont wind up in the chain thus jamming, cracking and destroying your wheel. It has little to do with the strength or weakness of the wheel.

Back