Anton

Administrator
Staff member
Local time
7:31 PM
Golden Eagle Bike Engines (GEBE) Reviews:

Other Names: GEBE, Golden Eagle, Dennis
Products: Engine kits, parts

My GEBE kit with Tanaka 33cc is great -- well designed, and when you pay attention to the details (e.g. solid axle in strong rear wheel) it's incredibly easy to install. Really, the only way it could get any easier if they sold a complete 26-in rear wheel with Mr. Tuffy liner, Slimed inner tube, city tire, 8-gear cassette, solid axle, and drive ring preinstalled.

The poll wouldn't let me take off a half-point, so I deducted a point for their less-than-modern order management system. Specifically, I think GEBE needs to move up to an order-mgmt system which is more transparent to the buyer, as currently all you get is the PayPal payment email, then your stuff just arrives at some point unless you contact them and ask for tracking info. Many of the e-commerce websites I buy from offer, at the very least, email notifications or website status updates for the following:
* Payment accepted with order ID number (i.e. PayPal email, which they already have)
* Order entered into vendor fulfillment process with estimated ship date
* Order shipment notice (with tracking info and estimated delivery date!)

They do have great customer service if you contact them, in my experience. For example, I recently ordered a longer (80-in) throttle cable, but received a 60-in cable due to an error in their ordering system. When I asked for them to advance-ship the replacement, they agreed to do so (sending the email reply on a Sunday!). Furthermore, they agreed to make up for the snafu by sending me a spare drive belt, when I'd only asked for a refund of the shipping cost to send back the wrong part. Call me VERY happy on that transaction.

-AG

Gebe 32cc Tanaka

Great company awesome product quick shipping order was correct and complete.
I Got the Tanaka 32cc GEBE kit, works great easy install.
The claims this vender makes about there products proved to be true in my case. 30+mph. 150mpg.

This thing rocks very easy to install. nice and small well balanced and plenty of power. Installed on my Schwinn Point Beach in about 1 1/2 hr.
Could have installed it faster but was having too much fun. I was worried about the drive ring after reading some stuff. It was easy 5 min. job.
I got what I ordered in 4 working days from order placement.
Good service GEBE Thanks!!!!

:cool:

Attachments

• bike1.jpg
    bike1.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 2,322
Last edited by a moderator:
another very satisfied customer here! daily comuter on subaru 35, it rocks!! 1000+ miles!!

Yes same here. Same set up/full suspension. 2 years and going strong. Same belt with close to 1550 miles. Engine still starts 1st to 3rd pull everytime.
I had to have a part time job for 3 months to buy it. Well worth the labor. :D

I have purchased a 35cc Robin/Subaru with Silver 26" Eagle Velocity Front and Rear Rims. I have not had any problems with this setup. A simple install and go set up. It is
a really nice setup for my bicycle that is powered by a very reliable engine.
A few months later I purchased a 40cc Tanaka PureFIRE from them. A customizing
Performance Pack with their web link, a HTD#14 Gear and Black 26" Eagle Velocity
Front and Rear Rims. I have not any problems with this setup.
I guess if you want simplicity, reliabilty, lightweight and performance, you cannot go wrong with these setups. I did not have any trouble from ordering from them. Julie does talk alot though...lol

Admittedly, I only have around 100 miles on my gebe as of yet, BUT, I am so impressed. To date they are the tops. They have taken the previous hundred years of motored bike technology and distilled it down to the positives from those, and done away with the negatives. I was curious as to the drive ring being 'plastic' and the thin little drive belt, I'll admit to being sceptical, but once received and realizing the belt was kevlar, and the drive ring an aerospace composite, not 'plastic' (as such), It eased my mind a little. I know people personally with thousands of trouble free miles on these systems.
I know the engine I use is top of the line, as Tanaka has 75 years experience and are one of the best in the small engines market. I hope to log more miles in the next few months and really put it through the paces, so as to get through my break-in period, and try some of the performance parts to see what that will do. Though the parts are top quality, and I fully support the transmission/drivetrain components being made in America, and supporting American entrepreneurs, I'm not sure I like the proprietary drive belt, for if I'm in the middle of nowhere and need to replace it I'm stuck until a new one can be ordered and shipped, rather than scrounging through a local hardware supply, or auto parts store.
Overall I give this kit two thumbs up, and an "Above Average" score.

Also forgot to state that the customer service was top notch as well, all the folks I spoke with over the phone were friendly, professional, and concise with answers to my questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
GEBE-Own Two Tops in my book

I have built 2 electric bikes bought two electric bikes and I have two GEBE kits an RS 35 on a folding army recon bike and a hopped up Tanaka 40 on a Raliegh M60 MTB. Absolutly 100 pct reliable. The GEBE bikes blow the EBikes away for range and speed. I have ordered a Wheel and and had no trouble getting and installing that. The Tanaka really needs that beefed up wheel.

GEBE Tanaka 40cc

I recently purchased and installed a GEBE Tanaka 40cc kit with the Velocity rim and although it was a bit expensive, it has proven to be an excellent product.
I have been riding on it for about two months through the streets of Boston (which if you've ever been to Boston, you know they are pothole and traffic riddled) and have had no problems at all. The kit holds up well to the bumps, goes up hills with minimal assistance and screams on the straights. I put this kit on a lightweight aluminum bicycle frame and at over 200lbs I frequently pass cars in traffic on busy streets.
The velocity rim is strong and has kept true despite hitting a few of the potholes I've mentioned and the belt is holding up nicely.
As for the customer service, I found them helpful and friendly and the shipping was fast and kit nicely packaged.
All in all...a great experience.
The only thing I'm worried about is my obsession with building another one.

I recently built an electra townie using the eho35 GEBE kit and I have to say its an absolute dream. Where my red barron feels like a fast honda, (fast and raw) my townie is a lexus (comfortable and in luxury)... The robin subaru eho35 doesn't have as much torque as the "80cc" chinese but it has more than enough to propel my 220 lb body with ease and the belt drive is velvety smooth for most of the rpm range. Not having to mix the gas is a definite plus. The quality is excellent on both the engine and kit...

Compared to the sick bikes kit and 80cc chinese engine, the installation on GEBE kit was a breeze. The sick bike kit took about 4 solid days the get on, the GEBE kit took about an hour.

I would highly recommend this kit to anyone. It is far more user friendly to operate... just turn the switch on, prime carb, pull cord, pedal, pull the lever, and enjoy. I loved the kit so much I built one for my 65 year old father and he LOVES it!! he rides it like 3 times a day.

my robin subaru

Well I finally paid off my robin subaru 35cc 6 weeks ago and feel it is time to review it...I have been comuting on it and have around 1000 miles already...the engine has been flawless and I can get on it with knowing that "it" will get me where I am going with confidence! The ease of just pulling up to the pumps and putting 25 cents worth of gas is awsome! I rode it Astoria on one of the hottest days and still it ran like a champ just another satisfied customer, and thanks GEBE for putting out a quality product I can count on!:whistle::helmet:

I've built many bikes starting way before this forum was here. I built my first bike, a lowrider stretch cruiser back in early 2005. I own most every out of the box set up available. Staton, Dax, Gebe, SBP, friction chain and belt.

I got on my old Dax yesterday after riding my GEBE all summer and man what a tank. Hold on, this not a Dax slam and in fairness the bicycle it is on is no where near what my GEBE is on. But GEBE is still beyond comparison.

I have two GEBE's both 35's Honda and Subaru and I trusted the Subaru to be installed on a very expensive mountain bike and I havnt been disapointed.

On every level in every category it exceeds every other system on the market, except of course price. But after years of playing and tinkering and walking home and cursing other bikes, I say GEBE is cheaper.

A+

Attachments

• IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 2,291
  • IMG_0121.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 2,852
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back