Gas tank questions.

GW's Motorized

Local time
6:24 AM
I've decided you guys are probably right. Most (if not all) readily available gas tanks are either too big or too expensive for these. I decided If I really want to set off a certain vibe with my build I should custom build a gas tank. I like the square look of the one I ordered (and I could probably go a little more boxy). I don't want super sharp angles, so I'm probably gonna use some pipe for the corners. I'm thinking 16 gauge is a good thickness for it.

I have a few questions. Can I just grind down the stainless coating from steel pipe and use it for the corners or should I try to find some thinner mild steel pipe? I can only seem to find stainless steel pipe in 16 ga and I am unsure if I can weld it to the mild steel. Thanks guys!

I've decided you guys are probably right. Most (if not all) readily available gas tanks are either too big or too expensive for these. I decided If I really want to set off a certain vibe with my build I should custom build a gas tank. I like the square look of the one I ordered (and I could probably go a little more boxy). I don't want super sharp angles, so I'm probably gonna use some pipe for the corners. I'm thinking 16 gauge is a good thickness for it.

I have a few questions. Can I just grind down the stainless coating from steel pipe and use it for the corners or should I try to find some thinner mild steel pipe? I can only seem to find stainless steel pipe in 16 ga and I am unsure if I can weld it to the mild steel. Thanks guys!
The stainless will weld to mild steel just fine. & to find mild steel in 16ga you will need to find some seamless tubing. Exhaust tubing would work to. Just make sure to get the uncoated stuff.

The stainless will weld to mild steel just fine. & to find mild steel in 16ga you will need to find some seamless tubing. Exhaust tubing would work to. Just make sure to get the uncoated stuff.
Could I get exaust tubing in 1 inch? I want some curved, but also pretty sharp corners. Kinda like the look of a 20s harley tank

For most modern motorcycles exposed fuel tanks are 16 gauge. Only tanks thinner than that tend to be fully enclosed or mostly enclosed in plastic.

The tank on my VFR is a very heavy gauge. I was surprised by the weight the first time I removed it (only had a half a gallon in it).

As far as forming it by hand. Keep in mind the majority of tanks are stamped in giant hydraulic presses or hydroformed. 16 gauge can be manipulated easy enough, but it's still going to be a lot of work.

For most modern motorcycles exposed fuel tanks are 16 gauge. Only tanks thinner than that tend to be fully enclosed or mostly enclosed in plastic.

The tank on my VFR is a very heavy gauge. I was surprised by the weight the first time I removed it (only had a half a gallon in it).

As far as forming it by hand. Keep in mind the majority of tanks are stamped in giant hydraulic presses or hydroformed. 16 gauge can be manipulated easy enough, but it's still going to be a lot of work.
That's whay I was thinking a boxy tank. That way I can use some sections of pipe to get a nice rounded corner but still have a nive square look.

Back