Gas Tank Baffling???

I have been riding years with the peanut tank. Never noticed fuel sloshing.
No, you wouldn't feel anything in a 11" long tank with 1/2 gallon of fuel.
You can however fell 1 1/2 gallons in a 22" long tank slosh.

No, you wouldn't feel anything in a 11" long tank with 1/2 gallon of fuel.
You can however fell 1 1/2 gallons in a 22" long tank slosh.

My tank is 17" long and I've estimated it's volume at 1.3 gallons but I was a little snarky last night with what seemed me (after a full day's work in the garage) to be a bit of a "sour grapes" post.... after I went to the trouble of posting the info. and photos of my baffle addition to the larger tank. (No big deal) The baffle could only help in fuel movement fore and aft. It certainly couldn't hurt. It took about 5 hours to draft, cut, bend and pop rivet together that little box and I'm quite proud of the final result. Little money, more time than I would like, but I think a nice payoff in the end. By the way, your advise of the baffles not touching the bottom of the tank really helped in it's design.

"Half the fun of this project is taking a concept and doing everything you can to make it just a bit better."

My tank is 17" long and I've estimated it's volume at 1.3 gallons.
The baffle could only help in fuel movement fore and aft.
It took about 5 hours
I think a nice payoff in the end.
By the way, your advise of the baffles not touching the bottom of the tank really helped in it's design.

Nice job and I agree.
Side to side isn't an issue, it's a big volume of fluid going fore and aft with speed change.
I know, I have no baffles in mine despite thinking of it beforehand.

An apologiy to you, Battery

I have been riding years with the peanut tank. Never noticed fuel sloshing. Didn't affect the ride all. The amount that leaks out of the cap at full tank is minimal. Not to cause a drip off the side of the tank. You could always add a second washer to help with nit getting gas residue on top of the tank.

Hey Battery,

I want to apologize to you. I read your post late the other night and I realized later that I must have misunderstood your meaning (regarding the need for the baffle box I made) and I made some stupid comment to you. I realize that you were trying to help me. Now, I really do feel like an A$$. I'm a little jittery as this project is just so far out of my comfort zone. Anyway, I just wanted to say I'm very sorry for misunderstanding your kind comment. Thanks for your help.

By the way, my tank has taken a ton of work!! OMG! After all the work I've had to do on it, if it leaks...... I'm just going to ride my MB off a cliff!! :rolleyes: Ha....ha..........

Jim

Back