Gas Electric Hybrid, Hypothetically

That auction is all you man. My big concern is to get the basics up and running first, then work on making it a hybrid. Even though that price is ridiculously low.... Have fun doing whatever it is that you're planning with that thing.

I have no idea why my post upset you, but not to worry. I won't post again.

I have no idea why my post upset you, but not to worry. I won't post again.

Swing and a miss on that one, man. I was referring to duivendyk's post "If you don't intend to bid on it ,let me know,I might,we don't want to start bidding against one another."

Sounds appetizing,I restrict myself to just dousing it with soy sauce.Have you actually got the guts of the bike,or is all this part of your hypothetical universe?.If I spring for this generator,I'll be in for a motor& battery etc,down the slippery slope.What did yours cost or is that all hypothetical.These Li batt, are the way to go,the others too da*n heavy.

This is actually a great idea in my opinion, and maybe make the generator run off of propane that way you can take in inside a grocery store :D

Well, I've put close to 1200 into my project thus far (electric only). About half was the LiFePO4 battery, but the sheer number of recharges you get out of the things lifespan make it totally worth it. The other half was for a Crystalyte Roadrunner, controller, cruise control, ebrakes, rack and pannier bags for cargo. I'll probably have to spend another 100 or 200 getting everything set up with respect to putting a cantilever (locking) emergency brake lever and clamp brake for the back wheel, jerry-rigging the mounting mechanism, etc. and about 40 dollars to pay an artist to do a painting (graffiti/manga-esque post-apocalyptic scene) on the bike before I mount it to the front fork (kind of a moving art display).

Last edited:
$600 for a battery is pretty steep,worth some serious protection with that management system you got. I have snagged one of those sexy generators,for less than $30 (including shipping),more out there to be had,you might get lucky!.Now a sliding down slippery slope into bottomless money pit.On the prowl for suitable el cheapo (reliable) power plant and for Nicads 2.2 Ah each ,28 for 36 V,112 total cost about $150 or so, stick in plastic water pipe &festoon around frame tubing.I like the art display,wife is visual artist,hates loud MC's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, here's the real way to look at it. These LiFePO4 guys are lighter, can get a full 1500+ (some places report 2000 minimum, varies by site) charges (as opposed to ~300 for most sealed lead acid, better for NiCads and regular lithiums but heat (i.e. super hot reactions that might compromise the battery's integrity) is an issue and, for me at least, so is the fact that they're not so great for the environment. But then again, it all depends on your approach. One idea would be to go with what you're talking about until those run out of life and then decide on what to get the next round (the prices on these are likely to decrease as time passes, as with nearly all new technologies).

Sounds like you've got some pretty fun work ahead of you.

Oh and as far as the propane is concerned, I'd be hesitant to go that route because of the lack of places where propane can be purchased where I live and it's propensity to explode if struck with sufficient force.

Who knows,it could be a quagmire,I don't know how heavy all this will be&what those Nicads would weigh,have concluded that although these perm. magnet motors have oodles of torque and you can control speed by controlling the voltage applied to the motor with a 'dumb' controller,to be efficient you need a variable ratio transmission.,also a current instead of voltage controller,which I would have to build myself.I worry more about the mechanicals though,the electrical stuff is my cup of tea.I don't want a hub motor.Anyway got only$30 in this escapade this far.Enjoy your ramen concoctions.

Back