Free Spirit 3 wheeler front wheel drive

p_m, I gotta tell ya - that is one sweet build you got going on. Worn out many shoehorns so far?

Of course, that assumes stealth is at all an issue for you.

Thank you, We did have to mod the standard chain guard,shorten and narrowed the engine chain guard, and built a guard for the muffler.

The owner(70 yr old), bought the trike new, and now can't operate the engagement lever, He saw some our bikes, and asked if we could put one on his. He has MANY trophys, when he used to do "tractor pulls"
After receiving his Trike, We decided that the engine was best, behind the seat post, so that He could get on and off, the trike easier.
Air flow shouldn't be a problem, 32t on a 24" wheel....lol

Gayle

Attachments

• 11-17-08 024.jpg
    11-17-08 024.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 447
  • 11-17-08 080.jpg
    11-17-08 080.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 455
  • 11-16-08 010.jpg
    11-16-08 010.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 475
Last edited:
we had tried a 44, but that angles of the chain to the engine, wouldn't work, and clearance for the spark plug, carb, regular bike chain, ALL got in the way of the frame...then tried a 38 and 36, finally the 32T .

Attachments

• 11-17-08 011.jpg
    11-17-08 011.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 419
Way to go Girl! It's great to have fresh inspiration and a different perspective to building MB's. I will be impatiently waiting for the final product. (y)
John

The owner(70 yr old), bought the trike new, and now can't operate the engagement lever, He saw some our bikes, and asked if we could put one on his. He has MANY trophys, when he used to do "tractor pulls"
After receiving his Trike, We decided that the engine was best, behind the seat post, so that He could get on and off, the trike easier.
Air flow shouldn't be a problem, 32t on a 24" wheel....lol

Gayle
wow.... this thing aint gonna know slow!
according to jpilot's calculator...http://www.motoredbikes.com/showpost.php?p=87814&postcount=1 ....this trike is gonna idle at about 10 mph!! (40 something at redline) hang on!!!!! hehehe
don't get me wrong,... I love what you're doing here!!! I wanna ride that thing!!
But...(I'm 51 & )..I don't want my Dad riding it..... lmao

All I'm saying here is....you guys test drive this....it's prolly gonna be a "bear" to pedal start...then it's gonna be all "chuggy...chuggity", up to & beyond 10 mph.
then,,,,, did I mention, "hang On" ? hahaha

I switched my 24" wheeled trike from a 44 tooth to a 48 tooth.....just so I could putt around slower. (these trikes don't corner real well)

wow.... this thing aint gonna know slow!
according to jpilot's calculator...http://www.motoredbikes.com/showpost.php?p=87814&postcount=1 ....this trike is gonna idle at about 10 mph!! (40 something at redline) hang on!!!!! hehehe
don't get me wrong,... I love what you're doing here!!! I wanna ride that thing!!
But...(I'm 51 & )..I don't want my Dad riding it..... lmao

All I'm saying here is....you guys test drive this....it's prolly gonna be a "bear" to pedal start...then it's gonna be all "chuggy...chuggity", up to & beyond 10 mph.
then,,,,, did I mention, "hang On" ? hahaha

I switched my 24" wheeled trike from a 44 tooth to a 48 tooth.....just so I could putt around slower. (these trikes don't corner real well)

We ride ALL our builds atleast 1 tank of fuel, to make sure everything is operating correctly.
Howard,Our engine guy, ups the compression and ports the transfer passages, it helps git rid of the "chuggin" says a little corn oil also makes them smooth/clean burn... and smells like a pop corn machine.. LOL Says that is what they did back in the day, on his H2 Kawasaki

forgot to say, Its a 3 speed hub, so Should(?) be easy to "peddle-off" in second, haven't looked into the "peddle-off" ratio. will know soon..

Attachments

• 10=04-08 009.jpg
    10=04-08 009.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 400
  • 11-05-08 048.jpg
    11-05-08 048.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 421
  • 11-05-08 033.jpg
    11-05-08 033.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
:surrender: that "thing' is the mountainman's catch phrase.....I'm sure no disrespect was meant. ;)

Ah. My bad... :oops:
BTW- P_M: That is a brilliant build on a trike! As for the handling, it is tippy. I had the same set up (Bike-Bug/Free Spirit engine kit) as that originally had, on my trike; for a day. I took it out for a spin, forgot to counterbalance my lean in a corner and promply ended up on my head! Pretty humorous!!! I put the engine back on my Typhoon.
Keep up the great work and please keep the pic.s a-comin'.
Rif

Back