Drilling and tapping a stripped out intake thread

Joshyaddow

Local time
3:06 PM
So I was checking and tightening all bolts to find and fix and air leaks and the intake bolt stripped the thread inside 🤔 the bolt is a m6 so I was wondering what size tap or what ever its called I should use to fix this issue any and all thoughts would be appreciated thanks

Well you pretty much have to tap an M8 thread into the hole since it's stripped. Once you've done that you got two options, either drill out the hole in the carb boot once you've made sure an M8 bolt head has enough room to turn and tighten, or what I'd recommend you to do is thread in a recoil/helicoil thread repair insert to both reduce the hole back into M6 and actually have a steel thread to tighten against.

I think i would also find the equivalent size bolt in Allen heads as well I have never stripped out an Allen head type stainless steel bolt...My Zeda 80 came already equipped with them on everything including intake and exhaust...DAMIEN

when you tap oil the tap first.Any car oil will work.Just a few drops Turn the tap in.When you feel increased resistance back it out a ways. Turn in again.Do it slow taps are brittle and can snap,giving you more problems.In fact,find a piece of steel and practice first. You could try turning a 1/4 20 allen screw in instead of the tap.Less chance of snapping.Use the same procedure turn in,back out.Clean the threads periodically.The thing is be careful.

Back