Dirt track bike races in So Cal?

Have there ever been any bike races on dirt tracks in So Cal?
In my young days, as I was finish my high school and then college, I used to do motocross riding in the desert...lol...That qualifies as a dirt track in my book...lol...I was 16 at the time when this dude by the name of Malcolm Smith approached me and asked if I would like to do any racing after he watched my miss the trail everyone was on and rode it the bike down the foothill, no trial...lol...lots of rocks and cactus though.

I explained to him that this was my first time riding a motorcycle and it belonged to my brother who was sitting at the bottom of that gully on the back of his pickup truck getting drunk on his case of beer with all of our buddies from Big Bear, we had gone down the hill for a day of riding and teaching me how to ride a bike.

He was so plastered, my "lesson" consisted of, heres the throttle, hears the fron brake, heres the rear brake, now go...lol.

I was scared to death the whole way down but was still sitting on the bike when I got to the bottom shaking like a leaf.

Thats when Malcolm insisted I race for his team and had his son show me the ropes of riding, he told me if that was my first time riding and I rode it down the way I did, that I was a natural...lol.

So thats my story.

Ps...The very week I graduated from college in 1975, I packed the car and went back home to Boston as fast as I could get out of California, The land of fruits and nuts, where the liberal minset people there seemed like they were granola bars, flaky, fruity and nutty...lol...lol.

Malcolm Smith and On Any Sunday inspired me to get into motocross. This started in the high desert where we would make tracks. It was a lot of fun and probably around the same time. You actually met Malcolm Smith? He is a legend and off road motor cycle god. I used to live at Indian Dunes, Saddleback, and…wait for it…Mammoth Mountain.

Switching subjects have you ever seen the unlimited or outlaw dirt karts in So Cal?These carts have modified 500 cc Jawas or water cooled Honda cr 500 engines and they rip. It looks absolutely crazy.

You actually met Malcolm Smith? He is a legend
He's the one I talked to, well him and his son...My drunken brother was funny as hell that day, It was summer time of 71, he dropped his can of beer and his jaw dropped and his eyes got very large...He's yelling to all our buddies and said , hey..."Its Malcom Smith and he's talking to my dumba$$ brother who doesn't even know how to ride"...Malcolm just looked at him and said to him 'You think you could have run off that ridge and ride that bike all the way down the way your brother just did, I'd like to see it"...lol...I was scared :poop:less after that first ever "ride"...lol...Didn't have a clue as to what I was doing, but the bike and I made it in one piece...lol.

I think that was the first time I ever saw my brother just shut his big foul mouth...lol...lol.

Switching subjects have you ever seen the unlimited or outlaw dirt karts in So Cal?These carts have modified 500 cc Jawas or water cooled Honda cr 500 engines and they rip. It looks absolutely crazy.
Can't say I have.

And on another note, I actually knew "Swede Savage" as well, Indy car driver, but we used to go ricky road racing together from Big Bear to San Berdoo "down the hill"...lol...He used his Sunbeam Tiger and I was using my MG... He lived in Big Bear back then, his dad was the veternarian in Big Bear...Doc Savage is what we used to call the old man.
It was a sad day when Swede died from the injuries he got in that Indy 500 crash in 73.

Ps...As I keep telling folks here in the forums, "Im more than just another "Purdy" face around here you know".

He's the one I talked to, well him and his son...My drunken brother was funny as hell that day, It was summer time of 71, he dropped his can of beer and his jaw dropped and his eyes got very large...He's yelling to all our buddies and said , hey..."Its Malcom Smith and he's talking to my dumba$$ brother who doesn't even know how to ride"...Malcolm just looked at him and said to him 'You think you could have run off that ridge and ride that bike all the way down the way your brother just did, I'd like to see it"...lol...I was scared :poop:less after that first ever "ride"...lol.

I think that was the first time I ever saw my brother just shut his big foul mouth...lol...lol.

Can't say I have.

And on another note, I actually knew "Swede Savage" as well, Indy car driver, but we used to go ricky road racing together from Big Bear to San Berdoo "down the hill"...lol...He used his Sunbeam Tiger and I was using my MG... He lived in Big Bear back then, his dad was the veternarian in Big Bear...Doc Savage is what we used to call the old man.
It was a sad day when Swede died from the injuries he got in that Indy 500 crash in 73.

Ps...As I keep telling folks here in the forums, "Im more than just another "Purdy" face around here you know".
The baby Cobra was what they called the Tiger. b**ch’n cars. You might be lucky to see one every couple years. Those fins on the back. You are more likely to see the Sunbeam Alpine. Any light FR (front engine, rear wheel) car is a blast on a dirt road.

In my young days, as I was finish my high school and then college, I used to do motocross riding in the desert...lol...That qualifies as a dirt track in my book...lol...I was 16 at the time when this dude by the name of Malcolm Smith approached me and asked if I would like to do any racing after he watched my miss the trail everyone was on and rode it the bike down the foothill, no trial...lol...lots of rocks and cactus though.

I explained to him that this was my first time riding a motorcycle and it belonged to my brother who was sitting at the bottom of that gully on the back of his pickup truck getting drunk on his case of beer with all of our buddies from Big Bear, we had gone down the hill for a day of riding and teaching me how to ride a bike.

He was so plastered, my "lesson" consisted of, heres the throttle, hears the fron brake, heres the rear brake, now go...lol.

I was scared to death the whole way down but was still sitting on the bike when I got to the bottom shaking like a leaf.

Thats when Malcolm insisted I race for his team and had his son show me the ropes of riding, he told me if that was my first time riding and I rode it down the way I did, that I was a natural...lol.

So thats my story.

Ps...The very week I graduated from college in 1975, I packed the car and went back home to Boston as fast as I could get out of California, The land of fruits and nuts, where the liberal minset people there seemed like they were granola bars, flaky, fruity and nutty...lol...lol.

He's the one I talked to, well him and his son...My drunken brother was funny as hell that day, It was summer time of 71, he dropped his can of beer and his jaw dropped and his eyes got very large...He's yelling to all our buddies and said , hey..."Its Malcom Smith and he's talking to my dumba$$ brother who doesn't even know how to ride"...Malcolm just looked at him and said to him 'You think you could have run off that ridge and ride that bike all the way down the way your brother just did, I'd like to see it"...lol...I was scared :poop:less after that first ever "ride"...lol...Didn't have a clue as to what I was doing, but the bike and I made it in one piece...lol.

Can't say I have.

Who needs history class.with Damien around?

Damien, what kind of guy was Jesus?

About time to really apply yourself to it then...lol.
Applications can be difficult…I always ask people ‘Have you heard of Pascal’s wager?’ Who, what? ‘Pascal’s wager says that if you believe in God and there is no God, you have lost nothing. If you believe in God or hold out for this possibility and there is a God, then you have won everything. Therefore, hedge your bet with belief.’ Or, some such thing. Have I mentioned that I am enjoying these forums and community immensely? I shall try to keep my emotional outbursts to a minimum…

Back