Gone! It is running! MOTOPED Pulled the Trigger and Put them in the Crib Tonight

Busy day in the bike shop. Got the Survival bike cleaned up. Restored the plastics and got all the dirt and dust off. Air in the tires on both bikes. tNeed to start on the mechanicals tomorrow. Battery is shot got a new one coming tomorrow. Need to bone up on these Lifan 50cc honda motors; change the oil, run some clean fuel through the gas tank into my dirty can (before it hits the carb). Might get it running tomorrow evening,

Rode all three Whizzers today as well. Boy I missed them while rebuilding Risky's Ride... rode him also... last. and Put him away in the corner for now. Installed headlight visors on all the Whizzers to and replace one of the defective LED headlights that were bad from the factory..

Attachments

• IMG-0031.jpg
    IMG-0031.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG-0027.jpg
    IMG-0027.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG-0034.jpg
    IMG-0034.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG-0030.jpg
    IMG-0030.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 80
Old crush washer will still seal, Just don't over tighten the drain bolt
It made outta soft metal so a used crush washer will still seal

On my Star Yamaha I never changed the crush washer and it never leaked

Learned all about Motorbike Ignitions Switches and Keys without even trying…

After loading the Motopeds on the trailer over on the Florida East coast ready for the 100 mile return trip to SWF, I took the keys out of both bikes and put them in my pocket so not to lose them.

When I got home and was putting away the tie downs etc., I threw the keys onto my workbench where they remained until I was ready to try and start the Survival like on Monday evening after prepping it for two days. One set of two keys fit the Cruzer and one set fit the Survival, but not vise-versa.

Went to turn on the Survival and the key will not turn in the ignition lock. Tried the second key on the ring; same thing, goes in but won’t turn. Tried the other keys in the Cruzer; same thing, both keys on that ring go in but won’t turn. Now is that not strange. Did not make sense other than to think since not run in a year they were frozen up or something. Googled, tried everything other than spraying stuff in the keyhole. I Am saving that for last resort n the meantime, took the lock out of the bike and started looking into the connectors / wiring etc. with the idea I would have to replace it. Spent hours looking online for an exact replacement.

Lost sleep…. What the F is why they won’t turn in both bikes? Went to locksmith yesterday with the ignition switch and key in it. He said he did not think it was frozen but seemed like the wrong key. Of course, I said it had to be right as the other set only fit in the Cruzer.

Found a replacement online last night but the key looked different but the mechanism the same (Small diameter metal barrel 17MM – most online are 25mm and plastic with square key heads)

Right before bed last night knowing the replacement was on its way, I decided to spray Houdini in the lock and still no go. Took it apart last night but could not get to the innards of the lock. Still no go with the keys.

Could not get this off my mind… why both were acting the same. I woke up this morning and a light went on (in my head). I had moved the Bluebird Whizzers across the street on Sunday to my neighbor’s garage for a couple of weeks to free up some space to work on these bikes. I remembered taking the keys with me and coming home and putting them on the kitchen counter……NOT! Went out to get the key out of Gator still in my garage (I even rode it last night and touched / turned that key) and took the key out and of course, it looked just like the two sets of Keys I was using for the Motopeds. Then I knew, I went into the catch all on the kitchen counter and there were these two strange looking keys that looked just like the keys on the new one on order! And then I was sure that those two keys were the keys I put in my pocket on Thursday on the east coast and I did not throw them on the workbench but put them in the house. The two key sets on the workbench were from the Bluebirds I threw there on Sunday after moving the bikes….. So I verified both the keys work in the respective Motopeds. A day late and a Dollar Short! Good news is, I know I don’t need to replace the Cruzer when I get to refurbishing that bike. Then I thought there must only be two master key blanks for all of these small motorbike / mopeds and sure enough I had a 50/50 chance that the Gator Whizzer key would fit one of the Motopeds. YEP! It did. Mystery solved, ignition locks 101, THE END.

Replaced the ignition switch with an identical part less the connector. I took the old connector and did a water-tight splice on all four wires and fit better than new (old one the cinch nut was loose). Revamped the battery install which is up underneath the gas tank. You can not get to it to charge or jump start it and with no Kick start and auto trans, you have to have a battery charged. Added a charge connector dongle for easy charging and jumpstart in the future. After a few minutes of cranking with the choke on, it got enough gas and fired right up! Wow is it quiet. Did not know what to expect with only the Whizzer four stroke (and my lawn mower) to judge. Need to adjust the idle and it was getting dark, so no test ride yet.

So the Saga of the MOTOPED Survival bike (for me) comes to a Happy ending today. The shipping company "Haul Bikes - Daily Direct) pulled their 40+ foot trailer down my street and covered my drive and my next door neighbor Sam's as well. Amazing double decker setup with two bikes abreast, they can carry as many as 70 or my bikes or 40 + Harley sized bikes. Very professional. But, it can take as much as 3 weeks from pickup to get delivery depending on where the pick up is and the drop off location.

Another bike in and out.... I will miss it but the pictures and the experience will last a long time..... Bye Bye🖐

Attachments

• 72028582719__37B9461C-53AF-449D-8AEB-905764FCD830.jpg
    72028582719__37B9461C-53AF-449D-8AEB-905764FCD830.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0250.jpg
    IMG_0250.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0236.jpg
    IMG_0236.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 51
So the Saga of the MOTOPED Survival bike (for me) comes to a Happy ending today. The shipping company "Haul Bikes - Daily Direct) pulled their 40+ foot trailer down my street and covered my drive and my next door neighbor Sam's as well. Amazing double decker setup with two bikes abreast, they can carry as many as 70 or my bikes or 40 + Harley sized bikes. Very professional. But, it can take as much as 3 weeks from pickup to get delivery depending on where the pick up is and the drop off location.

Another bike in and out.... I will miss it but the pictures and the experience will last a long time..... Bye Bye🖐
Yep seen those before hauling private cars and M/Cs
When Victory or Indian now, had demo rides for their motorcycles A big truck like that would pull up at the dealership with all the demo bikes in it, The truck driver would drive all over the USA and he said he was responsible to keep the bikes clean gassed up and ready to ride. It was no problem for him to get the bikes serviced because he was always bringing the bikes to a dealership for demo rides

BTW I would spend the day at these demo rides and test ride all the different bikes for fun, It's really fun if there's hardly anyone there because there's no wait just 20 min rest and jump on the next bike, Demo rides were given in a group
Dealership has pizza and drinks.

I almost bought a 2022 Indian Springfield 111 but the 2022 Harley Heritage 114 was for me

Back