Comparisons chain drive to friction drive.

Speaking of vibrations.....

I have a GP460 friction drive, the high revving little 2-stroke shakes me numb even on very short rides....:sick:I hope you guys come up with a good vibration dampening idea:D

Yeah, there will be a price paid for that HP. Since I went to 4 strokes (Robin)
that issue abated.

Hi jim_himself,

That's a real nice bike. Maybe too light.

An older, heavier steel frame like an old Huffy will not vibrate as much as a lighter aluminum frame.

You could mount the whole thing in rubber but that might act like a tire grinder/ sander.

I tried mounting my friction drive on different bikes and the one it is on now, a Roadmaster moped heavy duty iron pipe frame, vibrates the least.

I have a friction drive bike that I am very satisfied with except for the fenders trying to contiually try to break off due to the speeds (vibration) I travel. I was told negative things about chain drives which might or might not be true. The one thing I don't like is the bulky transfere case, just my opinion. I currently have 2700 miles on my eho35 friction drive since brand new in August. I also break a spoke on the engine side, every 3 weeks or so can anyone give some input to pluses and minuses between the two. I have a back fender on now but is ready to break off again. The pic is an early shot without fender. Later I fit the rear fender on.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l69/Torques/CIMG2906.jpg

Look On your wheel hub and see the letters or numbers and order a chain drive sprocket adaptor from pirate cycles.It hooks your flywheel from the center of the hub Instead of the spokes fixing the spoke breakage problem.You can get the adaptor only for 35 or have a sprocket with adaptor for 20 bucks more.Makes a world of difference.www.piratecycles.com

This thread was started in 2006, time flies huh? I hope my MAB lasts that long.

I personally consider mirrors less than worthless, they vibrate too much, and give a false sense of security. Motorcycle mirrors might work, you can pivot them in for storage.

Heh, I wouldn't ride a bicycle, motorized or not, on the public streets without a mirror.
I solved that one long ago, and vibration is a non-factor but I don't use the made in China 2 strokes either.

I personally consider mirrors less than worthless, they vibrate too much, and give a false sense of security. Motorcycle mirrors might work, you can pivot them in for storage.

You must have never had good mirrors. Mine don't vibrate anymore then the ones on my Cadillac Automobile. I don't know that it's a law here that I must have them, but I don't care. I wouldn't think about riding my bike without 'em.

Mirror, mirror on the bar ...

Mirror, mirror on the bar, shakes so bad, I can't see the car !

If you rode Massachusetts roads, your mirrors would shake too.

Yes, I ride a Chinese 2 stroke, yes, it does shake. My motorcycles [ of old ]
had mirrors, it also had a throttle that provided more than wrist exercise.

Good Motorbike mirrors [ liquid filled ? ] are needed. I personally stop, and turn my head, when I need to see behind me .

I found a great place to ride, the nursing home where my mother is ' doing time for the crime of being senile ' The Old Folks were amazed that a bicycle could go that fast, make more noise than the landscapers, and still be ' safe ' and controllable. The foot paths are rarely used, and are the perfect width for cutting a hot lap or two. Yes, some of the pseudo nurses felt I ' buzzed the tower ' but the smile on my mother's face nulified any complaints [ so far ].

If any of you have a friend / relative in one of those places, bring your bike, gives the old timers something to talk about.

2006? Oh well... better late than never. As far as the broken
spoke issue, could be he needed to align the roller. It does have
to be far off to spoil your ride.
As to vibration, I'm ridin' a loud, mean, nasty 2stroke, but it's
virtually vibration free. The U-bracket is mounted to the frame thru
pieces of old tire, and the channel & struts mount with thick,
homemade nylon washers on both sides of the bracket,(cut from
old Tupperware lids with a hole saw). I think it also helps dampen
the noise a bit.

Back