Can you use the white wire instead of the red wire they are connected to the same spot why can't you

The white wire is a low voltage line supposed to be for lighting but doesn't produce enough to really use it. Most people just cut it off and wrap it up.

The white wire is a low voltage line supposed to be for lighting but doesn't produce enough to really use it. Most people just cut it off and wrap it up.
Your reply has nothing to do with Jay's question whatsoever...His question was,

but doesn't produce enough to really use it
It puts out the same as the red wire.

I broke the connection on the red wire can I just swap it with the white
He already knew what it was supposed to be used for, he was simply asking that since he broke the red wire, could he use the white wire instead.

Yes you can, I can't because I always chopped them off from the day one inspection. I just solder the new connection, don't need a connector.
Chainlube, of course, answered this question correctly that, YES, he can use the white wire in place of the red wire, or just simply solder the broken wire connection.

You're thinking of the old style coil which has two separate windings, you are correct if he were using the old style which has black, blue and white wires.

COOKIE, Yummy...lol.

cookies.gif

Any good reason not to use BOTH wires for redundancy? Sure... there would be no benefit OTHER than redundancy but I've only got 200 miles under my belt and I've already had a wire come loose during one ride.

;)

Back