Best "Trick" for putting Clip on Masterlink?

Risk Man

Local time
6:32 AM
Ok, I admit that I still struggle with this every time. Needle nose pliers, flat blade screw driver to spread it and snap it? I only have two clumsy hands!! I wish I knew your tricks

Here goes. Don't try to spread the clip with a screw driver. All you have to do is take pliers with sharp jaws, by that I mean the nose is 90 degrees to the face of the jaws with a relatively sharp corner. Next put one nose on the open end of the clip, the other on the pin, squeeze and you should have the clip on top of the pin. Give the pliers a little twist to move it the rest of the way.

To put it on just reverse this from the other end.

Or use needle nose pliers. Lol.

The pliers slip off all the time
You need ones with a sharper angle. If is is rounded it won't work. As Weefek said needle nose pliers will do it as well if you have the room to have the jaws parallel to the chain. The method I described you can do it with the pliers at a 90 degree to the chain, good when you don't have the room.

so the biggest problem this time is the post from the master line was not projecting far enough. The chain link housing need a squeeze to bring it closer to the "wheel". That allowed the groove in the post to engage the clip... struggled until I realized that this time.

I have a set of internal snap-ring pliers that were kind of worn out that I filed the inside of the tips at a small angle on each side that flare inward to grab the link and clip. Needle nose pliers do work, but the main issue is the angle of the ends flare away which causes them to slip.

Back