Tires Armadillo tire - just noticed something...

Most of the cheap tires I buy say "40-60".

I mostly air them up to 40 and refill when they get down to the low 30s.

Going just a bit off-topic; I wouldn't mind buying better tires that I could run at higher pressure without worrying. I've even done so, though it's been years.
But I was disappointed to find that the sidewalls crack and break up just as quickly as with cheapos. And I clean and armor-all my tires pretty regularly. Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't do it more. But I'm reluctant to feel that I MUST do it every third day or so.

Still, it would have some advantages. Armor All not only protects vinyl, rubber,etc., but it's also very good at fighting rust. Fasteners and other small hardware benefit a lot from it.

No offense to any WalMart employees out there....I shop there frequently, but just because a WalMart employ said "42 psi is it"....doesn't mean squat to me. Actually, what it means to me is that I will check every tire I have installed there on anything.

A lawn mower at 42 psi? More like 10 to 20 psi in many cases. An ATV? Under 10 psi. My car or van- max is 35 psi...I would be PO'd when the center of my tread wore out with 42 psi.

Lastly, I hardly believe there is a Walmart wide policy to ignore tire pressure markings on tires. One guy, one place.

I find that with road-going vehicle, the highest appropriate psi approved by the manufacturer is a good place to start. Adjust as necessary for ride and handling charateristics, but always within the range recommended.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a set of armadillo crossroads for my b-day :)
(front from azvinnie & my daughter, rear from the girls :cool:))
the sidewall says between 35-80psi
at 40, they seemed a little soft
bumped up to 50, and they feel much better
what psi are other riders using ???

Bill, I usually set my at 55-60psi. 80psi seems like its too hard and might pop the tire when they heats up. I've had an issues once with another tire when I inflated it too much. It bubbled up on the side wall and pop.

My tires are kendas and they say 65 psi max and I run them at that pressure and it seems to be a nice ride at that pressure, plus with a friction setup I get better traction with the roller at max psi.

these tires (armadillo crossroads) rock !!! :)

just an update :)
bumped my air up to 50psi...feels very solid now :)
approx 150miles on them now...the little 'tips' haven't even wore yet :)
I don't even swerve around debris anymore as I am confident the combo of these tires and my bell super thick slime filled tubes will handle it :cool:
I really like the looks too :)

ps...I blanked out my engine so this pic would stay in the tire forum where it belongs

Attachments

• mini-Armadillo Crossroads2.JPG
    mini-Armadillo Crossroads2.JPG
    269.9 KB · Views: 529
Last edited:
I have a set of Armidillo crossroads on my bike and find they are not as good on the trails as they do not bite into the gravel as well as my Maxxis tires do--but we have puncture vine here in Oliver B.C. and when you run over it they stay inflated !At first my friend pointed out that the bike shop had installed the front tire with the wrong rotational direction.

I am no tire expert but I would think part of the direction on the tire might be to funnel the water away from you and has nothing to do with hydroplaining. I am runnin the extra thick green gubber filled tubes and the "comfort" bell 26" from Wal-Mart. The tire is kevlar lined and rated at 65 lbs pressure that's what I have in them. I know I have had over 300 lbs load on these things no problem (I weigh 250). They felt a little squirelly compared to the wider ones that came on my mountain bike but they bank well and I really like them now that I am used to them.

Attachments

• bike_10_01 010.jpg
    bike_10_01 010.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 456
I

Run Surfas Drifters at about 55 psi
Awesome tires, would buy them again ...

Directional tyres usually have a chevron or arrow pattern in the tread and are designed to work in only one direction of rotation.

Directional tyres disperse water that builds up in front of the tyre more effectively, reduce road noise, and improve directional stability.

They must rotate in the right direction and this will be clearly marked on the sidewall of the tyre.

If a directional tyre is fitted the wrong way round, the tyre won't be dangerous, but you won't gain any of the benefits of it's design.

Incorrect fitting of both asymmetric and directional tyres is a reason for MOT failure.

(Ministry of Transport) Test

Standing behind your bike the arrow/chevron points forward.

Back