Tubes Another Freakin' flat tire!

Mark, you clearly have something wrong with the rims or tires. Either the rims or the tire might have been made wrong. The tires are not "seating" on the rims it seems to me, if the tubes are sliding, so are the tires on the rim, maybe you need to increase the air pressure on ballon tires I dont know. I would try it and if it didnt work, I would take the bike back for an exchange or money back. I looked at my tires and noticed the stems at a bit of an angle, I never paid attention before. I have been running 35 psi for smoother ride, but I also noticed the tire pressure rating marked on the tire is between 40 and 65 so I am pumping them up to 50 psi, just in case. Sorry to hear about all the problems with your tires, but I dont think it is anything youve done...

Last edited:
Thanks...but I cannot take the bike back. The motor's mounted - drilled through the frame, and I cut the fender to clear the chain.

I'm at the point now where I don't want to spend any more time and money on this. It's just not worth it. I have had 4 flats, I purchased 6 tubes...inserts to protect the tubes...been stranded twice now...and it's just not dependable for ME.

It's a great frame, the motor is really starting to run nicely...everything's in great shape.
I'm changing the tire for the last time, so I can sell it in 100% perfect condition.

It's already on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...=ADME:L:LCA:US:31&viewitem=&item=180243961313

I'm going to buy a Scooter. I need reliability, and after putting on 8 miles this morning, I also want more comfort. I've found a bunch of sites selling nice scooters for $700-$2500...and some of these are REALLY nice.

Does anyone know of a forum like this where I can go learn more before I take the plunge?

Thanks,
Mark

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
For what it's worth,I understand you needing reliability and a scooter is designed for sustained speeds but I think that rear tire exploded from the 40 psi. When you add the higher temperatures from constant moving without rest for your engine is doing all the work combined with the slime in your tube the slime seems to contain the heat (just a speculation or thought,nothing proven) from your tire and that causes expansion. When you have your inflation to 40 psi that tire could have been subjected to a lot more pressure thanks to the slime and heat and it's like a balloon blowing up.
A bicycle does really well with high pressure suggested on the tire because there's no extra sprocket to add heat from frictional forces and there's no constant running of the wheel even Lance Armstrong would lay off every now and then. And when your pedaling you want the less rolling resistance but when you add an engine that's too much for the tube.
This is why I drop my pressure.
I still think you should keep your bike AND get a scooter. The scooter for when you really need to get there and the bike for those lazy weekends.
I ride my bike 50 or 60 miles in a day no sweat. One blown tire due to over-inflation. Did the NoMoreFlats thing but my ride suffered. Now I do the slime tube with minimum pressure.
No problems to date.

Last edited by a moderator:
DAMMIT...ANOTHER FLAT TIRE!

Rear tire, and I can clearly tell that the tube inside has moved because the stem is tilted.
I rode for almost 8 miles...upon returning home, I figured I should run the motor a little bit faster just to not always run it "slow"...It certainly wasn't winding out, but I was probably doing about 24-25.

This bike is great, but I can't rely on it....

I

Mark

Dear Mark,

Ahh Man!?! ...You're not really giving up because of this issue??:eek: Cruiser tires are soft, stretchy, loose and balloony by nature. Most not made to go over 15mph.

You must proceed as you see fit but from my side of the garage a set of Geax Evolutions and double thick tubes would not only fix the problem but put you ahead performance-wise.

Michael

Last edited:
....I'm going to buy a Scooter. ...
Thanks,
Mark

I'd get Honda Ruckus.;) Pimp that thing with street tires (it comes with street/dirt knobbies) and you will have the baddest scooter south of Canada.

I agree with LF btw.

Michael

Last edited:
I've been riding for almost 3 years with no precautions and I got my first flat the other day on a bike that was built the day before. Don't know why it was shocking since I never had a problem before. Bought a self sealing tube for it we'll see how it goes.

Back