a shadetree briggs flyer build,

the13bats

Local time
8:01 AM
Ive been gone about half a decade but found some time to play with my quadcycle again,

From the start i wanted to do a briggs flyer type idea with it,
images(40).jpg

My quadcycle,

20180815_124047-747x1328.jpg

The seat was gone and i plan to do a very basic buck board style,

So in keeping with the briggs flyer feel i want to do a pusher on a trailer something like this,

images(36).jpg

Not sure if i want engine on top of wheel, behind or in front of wheel,

So im open to thoughts and opinions,

Cheers
b

Oh ok since it has 4 wheels it should be more stable with a pusher. It looks like you could put a sprocket on that rear shaft. Is it a one piece straight axle?

This has been on the drawing board about 6 years,lol,

I considered mounting the engine behind the seats then a sprocket with chain up to the axle, its not live,
Only one wheel is powered,

I dont want to weld, hack etc on the quadbike, im too OCD,
I want to just bolt things on, not a problem,
I guess if i mounted motor out the back and drove the axle it would be cheaper and simpler, thats always good,

Any guess on sprocket teeth count for a good ratio,
I dont want to salt flat it, the engine is 3.5hp

Last edited:
Maybe a 40 tooth or 44 tooth that's 2 common sizes for motorized bikes. If you get a centrifugal clutch that uses #415 get non o-ring regina chain. Its for motocross bikes and way better than the china ones. I think there's gear ratio calculators but most of it is just guesswork.

I was rooting around a little, a trike engine "kit" i saw still bolts the sprocket to a wheel and engine sits where basket was,

On this build i sit were the basket would be and i dont want to drive off a wheel unless its that trailer style,

So depending on my rear axle diameter, how would i look for a sprocket to put on that axle, what do i call it, do they make bolt on ones?

When you say motorcross chain do you mean bicycle or motorcycle?

Thanks

You could make an engine mount and run a chain to the axle. I would get some nice fresh tires and work on brakes too.
I was rooting around a little, a trike engine "kit" i saw still bolts the sprocket to a wheel and engine sits where basket was,

On this build i sit were the basket would be and i dont want to drive off a wheel unless its that trailer style,

So depending on my rear axle diameter, how would i look for a sprocket to put on that axle, what do i call it, do they make bolt on ones?

When you say motorcross chain do you mean bicycle or motorcycle?

Thanks
Motocross as in dirt bikes its good quality made in Italy and you can get a #415 for like $26. You could replace that whole axle with something like a go kart axle and then sprocket would bolt on with collars and a set screw maybe 5/8 then you would have to get a 5/8 ID sprocket in #415 with I'm guessing a 3/4 bore clutch depending on the briggs shaft. could use wider rear wheels. The engine could go next to you on either side. For a seat you could get one off an old riding mower from a junkyard for little to free. The thing will basically be a go kart.

To be fair a little about me, im a life long rev head,
Was welding up go karts at 13,
In other hobbies i do things like rebuild clsssic corvettes from ground up, my 69 convertible is near finished and build custom trikes, full size ones,
images_5__052dc68a23b29d3088883ce652cbadfc6079b439.jpg

My wife on our trike, vw powered, i plan to build a c cab style trike with water cooled engine in the next year or so, i have many other tech mech related hobbies... ;-)

I love to get others ideas, see how they built their toys and take some things i like that fit with my build and iincorporate it.
I havent kept up on motorized bicycle stuff so stopped by to see whats new, get some ideas and food for thought so many thanks, but a bit disappointing only one cat replied, i guess this stuff isnt popular, or people just into those kits.

I dont want to build a different design from scratch
And i dont want to build a "go kart" im not looking for fast,
Im keeping both sets of pedals, and the axle there is fine, im not going off road or setting dry lake records with it, on a build like this i enjoy doing it for free or cheap,
things like tyres and brakes are a given,
The wheels are moped both fronts have brakes which will do fine, new tyres will come but not needed at the moment.

Another point was i dont want the engine up with me,
So trailer mount or behind seat are options,

I wanted a buck board seat for more of a old time look feel, an old lawn mower seat will look like just that, and too bulky, never liked how the seats look on rhoads cars, add weight too.

i have used the cheap plastic boat seats on other projects and they work very nicely you might see my tadpole recumbent peaking out in that pic, but that type seat wasnt what i wanted on this project either,

I did more rooting around the net last night,
Got answers to some of my questions,

The most simple way ( which for me isnt always what i want or best )
To me seems mount engine behind seat, drive off the quads axle, i found the sprockets and their mounting hubs,
However, the way the frame is in the rear not sure a spocket that a large diameter will fit, measurements will be needed,

With more thinking my trailer mount is just as simple,
If in this case likely better,
But still not finding a wheel as small as what the cat used in the pusher trailer set up i posted, i am finding nice go kart / mini bike wheels with sprockets,

I found in my stash of junk a pretty sweet engine mount, i wont give away what it is just yet, it would attach trailer style pusher, where the pic i posted the cat had engine on top of wheel mine would have engine in front of wheel, but as close together as possible,
I would just score an old mini bike for parts but hate tearing up something that fuctions.

Today i will try to find my wheel and sprocket, i need its dimensions to move forward with trailer style mounting, but i will also see if a sprocket will fit the quads axle,
So both ways are options, will post as progress is made...i need to go crash course on gear ratios.

Cheers
b

Well if you really want a pusher maybe one with 2 wheels would give more traction and be more stable, you could put it right in the middle behind the seat. And have it pivot to turn. Just need to take an engine plate and weld some pieces to it and attach some pillow blocks so the shaft can ride on them. I'd use gokart wheels. I know you dont want to go fast but that 4 stroker will have some power. It may be possible to use one of the $99 2 stroke bike engines and go the speed you want. Around 25-30. I've never ran a briggs (except mowers) so I don't know how fast it'll go. Oh and yes sometimes this forum is slow usually I get the same few guys comment. Alot of it is people who have no clue what they're doing and people burning up 2 strokes because they don't run enough oil. Others use it to show off their bikes and progress. I like to help though. I did block a guy because because he would always be critical of what I said and bragged about his bikes.

Last edited:
I haunt a lot of forums and one thing across the field is there are guys who just wanna boast. There are guys who think if you dont do it their way its wrong you are an idiot and they are personally insulted,
Egos big as mountains fragile as glass,
And of course forum trolls,

I many times find some things hard to word,
If i feel like someone thinks im clueless, thats fine they dont know me so i will drop a few things i do but its hard if not impissible to do that without sounding pompous, not my intention, im sure a lot of those weed motor kits in an epic fails.

I love all ideas and opinions and my brain engages, never would i put down someones ideas, they might not be what i want and i will say so but that doesnt mean its bad, just not what i want.

I love old mechanical stuff, for example i restore metal typers, digger cranes,
The briggs flyer always was so interesting to me,
A time when engines were so cantankerous,
It hanging on a simple up down pivot, like the trailer bike pic i posted, no side to side pivot, the even stuff that on bucycles, yikes,

You can live without sude to side movement if the drive wheel isnt too far back
When you turn i am guessing the single drive wheel scrubs a little bit,
If the trailer has 2 drive wheels as you suggest it has to have that full range movement, up down left right,
And two wheels is always an option, remember, im going cheap or free build, depends what i find out there,

I dont want to spoil it til i am sure it will work but my engine / wheel mount is just too cool, and it didnt dawn on me to use it for this until i was going to flip it on cl,

My engine is a predator 79cc while the claim 3.5 hp
Im skeptical,
But i have it, its free, and does run well,

Speed is how much throttle i give it, but i want low enough gearing it will take off without pedaling,
I once installed a tas spitz front friction engine on a fellows bike,
It did have a clutch but it pretty much would not take off without you pedaling,
I loved the idea the concept of the thing, but function, it sucked, all that weight on the front wheel,

Gearing, hum,
Did you see that bike with a dolly pusher trailer,
That cat said it ran like 52mph, way , way too fast imho for most bikes, and one with a dolly hanging off the rear...scary,
But his out of box thinking...my hats off to him

I had a beach cruiser with a 79 on it. Top speed was about 30. Took it off because it wouldn't start but I think I fixed it. 52mph sounds more like the 212 speed. Don't worry about it being too fast with a stock 79. That briggs is over 100cc so that's why it probably went faster, also the pred is actually 2.5hp but they round it up to 3hp.

Last edited:
Back