50W 6Amp Alternator for Bicycles that WORKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, this has to be solved by testing several ideas. Having a rotating cylinder makes the job easier though. I suspect a sanding belt would very quickly cause excessive tire wear but I am not sure.

Right, this has to be solved by testing several ideas.

New ideas always need a bit of trial and error.

Having a rotating cylinder makes the job easier though.

Sure does - polyurethane, sanding belt OR epoxy/grit all lend themselves well to this type of alternator. (S..t, I'm almost considering changing from my belt-driven setup, but friction and rolling resistance are excessive with a friction roller system, even though they are easier to set up.)

I suspect a sanding belt would very quickly cause excessive tire wear but I am not sure.

Yep, that's one of my concerns. According to the guy in the friction roller thread, though, he gets 300-500miles from a sanding belt. It seems that the cloth-backed types are best, and a degree of water-proofing wouldn't be too hard if needed. (It appears that if the roller-pressure is increased, tyre wear is decreased, so a happy medium needs to be found.)

Wrap gorilla tape around the body of the alternator.

Then gorilla glue the sanding belt to that.

This way, when the sanding belt wears out, you can replace it without having to chisel and scrape and sand all that JBWeld off of the alternator.

Gorilla tape, because regular duct tape adhesive would get gooey and the whole thing would start to slip.

Contact Material for the alternator

Hi, guys, I believe I've solved my premature roller tire wear problems. I remembered reading something about Cordura Nylon being highly abrasion resistant. Then I remembered an old military backpack I have.......

After cutting off about 9 inches from one end of a long strap (its about 2.5 inches wide)

Then I read the directions on the Gorilla Glue and wet my nylon belt.

After getting the belt juicy wet, I applied a little glue to one end and started to wrap it around the alternator glueing as I wrapped.

The 9 inch belt wraps 3 times around the alternator, and its wrapped about 4 to 5mm thick around the alternator)

I wrapped it in the direction of rotation (clockwise) so that it would have a tightening effect as it rolls against the tire and to prevent any separation.

Then I wrapped waxed paper around the outside to prevent sticking, and then secured it all with duct tape until it cured.

After scraping off the waxed paper, installing the alternator, and putting 40 miles on it, it appears the premature RC tire wear problem is solved.

There is no significant wear on the cordura nylon belt that I used.

The Gorilla Glue permeated throughout the nylon layers, and turned the whole thing into a rock hard solid mass.

********Be very careful how you handle your alternator. It has solid copper leads which are more prone to breaking than stranded copper wire.

I had to replace mine when I accidentally broke them off, This was VERY DIFFICULT. Breaking off the leads will almost ruin this alternator unless you have a puller to remove the base plate so you can get to the leads to replace them!*********************************************

Last edited:
I'm surprised it worked because nylon has a low coefficient of friction. Maybe it slips preventing wear. It seems like you proved less friction is better than more.

Good point, Mike. That was my concern with PE.
Replacement might be a hassle, too, but probaby no more than sanding belt.
Now, for the question I've been meaning to ask as a 3rd-world Aussie - what are 'Gorilla Tape' and 'Gorilla Glue'? Never heard of them, but they sound wonderful.

Good point, Mike. That was my concern with PE.
Replacement might be a hassle, too, but probaby no more than sanding belt.
Now, for the question I've been meaning to ask as a 3rd-world Aussie - what are 'Gorilla Tape' and 'Gorilla Glue'? Never heard of them, but they sound wonderful.

Google is your friend.

:D

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=gorilla+tape&btnG=Google+Search

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=gorilla+glue&btnG=Google+Search

I'm surprised it worked

Actually me too! The alternator is mounted on sealed cartridge bearings. Part of my problem was ALIGNMENT.

The closer the alternator is to spinning, or being perfectly parallel to the wheels axle the better.

If the alternator is not mounted at a good angle, the bicycle tire has a tendency to push whatever is wrapped around the alternator to one end of the alternator.

That's what happened to the original RC tire and helped to destroy it.

The cordura nylon I'm using now, seems to fray away very slowly creating a kind of fuzzy appearance, then the heat melts the surface fuzz solid. Kind of like when you burn the frayed end of a nylon strap.

Its a lot more durable than the rubber RC tire.

There is NO SLIPPING! The pressure of the alternator against the rear tire prevents ANY slipping.

In fact, when I replaced the leads on the alternator I had to remove it from its bracket. Its much easier to install or remove the alternator if you deflate the bicycle tire to allow extra clearance.

Once the alternator is bolted down and the tire is inflated, there is ZERO slipping. The rough texture of the belt helps too.

Just curious, when the alternator is under half to the full 50 watt load, how much does it slow the motor down?

Can you even feel it at any time during the ride?

Thanks Xavier....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back