410 or 415 chain?

Dear Fellow Motorheads- The Hyper cruiser tire width, coupled with the 415 chain, made for an interesting build. I had a heckuvatime feeding the chain through the drive sprocket WITH the spark plug out and the clutch disengaged! Turns out that the 415 chain gives one NO wiggle room inside the drive sprocket case, at least with my Pk80 engine. Strangely enough, I almost had TOO SHORT of a drive chain, and I connected the master link with very little drive chain slack! Thankfully, a builder in Houston walked me through this, and helped immensely with adjustment. He recommended that I install my engine as vertical as possible, as having them slanted can affect the float bowl travel, I was told. We will see-Gearhead437

Dear Fellow Motorheads- The Hyper cruiser tire width, coupled with the 415 chain, made for an interesting build. I had a heckuvatime feeding the chain through the drive sprocket WITH the spark plug out and the clutch disengaged! Turns out that the 415 chain gives one NO wiggle room inside the drive sprocket case, at least with my Pk80 engine. Strangely enough, I almost had TOO SHORT of a drive chain, and I connected the master link with very little drive chain slack! Thankfully, a builder in Houston walked me through this, and helped immensely with adjustment. He recommended that I install my engine as vertical as possible, as having them slanted can affect the float bowl travel, I was told. We will see-Gearhead437
The angle of the engine isn't as important as the angle of the carb. Carb should be level, relative to the ground.

The angle of the engine isn't as important as the angle of the carb. Carb should be level, relative to the ground.
I agree, this type of simple carb should be as level as possible. It will work at odd angles for a while but not for long. The float will hang up and stick either open or closed.

He recommended that I install my engine as vertical as possible, as having them slanted can affect the float bowl travel, I was told. We will see-
He is very correct...My motor has an exceptable amount of angle for that carb with the reed valve attached to it, but the angle would be much more severe without that front motor mount....That is one of the reasons why I made my own motor mount that I built with an up and down swivel on it in order to set the motor backward towards the seat post more and the front mount allows that to happen...

The motor also sits up a little higher up on the frame as well for better chain clearance.
It is also why I did not run into the chain length problem you reported...In fact I had to remove some chain links to run it without a tensioner...lol...Study pics below...If you havent already, you can order a front mount that works like mine does, the link is in my tutorial you have already seen.

IMG_0319.jpg

DSCN0229.JPG

In fact, the chain for the Phantom is still in its packaging baggy...lol...It's running on the Zeda 80 chain which makes it about 5 years old right now...lol.
Boy did that one just backfire in my face...lol...lol.

I was going for a nice early morning ride at 5 this morning trying to beat the sun and the triple digit heat today...I got a whole quarter mile from my house and the chain just snapped...lol.

So I go and get my Phantom 415 chain that came with it and did not like what I saw when it came out of the bag...Too much side to side slop on the links themselves and then looked at the master link because something just didn't look right to me about it when looking through my magnifying glass.

So I brought it down to my usual local small engine repair and parts shop...The guy looks at it, gets out his micrometers etc., sees where it says 415H and tells me I was right to question this "CHINESIUM" crap chain, (the Zeda Chain was made much better by the way), lol...lol.
He confirmed it had way too much slop in it as I had already surmised.

He said right off that it is a 415, but no way in hell was it an H, (hardened), Also the master link that came with it was not for a 415 but when he mic'd it, he said it is actually for a #40 chain...lol.

I had him order ten feet of good chain stock for me so I can cut down a few chains so I have some for future replacements when needed.
Only thing is the chain will come with only one 415 master link...He can order only in lots of 25 for them and does not stock that size master link at all and I am not about to buy 25 of them for 30 bucks...lol.

Who here knows of where to order "decent" 415 master links online...I know everyone knows they can be ordered easily but I'm not looking for crap and won't know the difference with looking at the generic pics online, so anyone here with personal experience of ordering them and getting a decent product?...No one in town here has them in stock, I know, I tried to find them locally today already...lol.

Boy did that one just backfire in my face...lol...lol.

I was going for a nice early morning ride at 5 this morning trying to beat the sun and the triple digit heat today...I got a whole quarter mile from my house and the chain just snapped...lol.

So I go and get my Phantom 415 chain that came with it and did not like what iI saw when it came out of the bag...Too much side to side slop on the links themselves and then looked at the master link because something just didn't look right to me about it when looking through my magnifying glass.

So I brought it down to my usual local small engine repair and parts shop...The guy looks at it, gets out his micrometers etc., sees where it says 415H and tells me I was right to question this "CHINESIUM" crap chain, (the Zeda Chain was made much better by the way), lol...lol.
He confirmed it had way too much slop in it as I had already surmised.

He said right off that it is a 415, but no way in hell was it an H, (hardened), Also the master link that came with it was not for a 415 but when he mic'd it, he said it is actually for a #40 chain...lol.

I had him order ten feet of good chain stock for me so I can cut down a few chains so I have some for future replacements when needed.
Only thing is the chain will come with only one 415 master link...He can order only in lots of 25 for them and does not stock that size master link at all and ZI am not about to buy 25 of them for 30 bucks...lol.

Who here know of where to order "decent" 415 master links online...I know everyone knows they can be ordered easily but I'm not looking for crap and won't know the difference with looking at the generic pics online, so anyone here with personal experience of ordering them and getting a decent product?...No one in town here has them in stock, I know, I tried to find them locally today already...lol.
Order the 25 and sell the rest 😆

Everyone is looking for a good quality master link

Not saying get this chain, but its an option. I run shorter lengths on smaller sprockets on a jackshaft, the chinesium gets toasty hot and rusts within months.

This replacement on new sprockets still looking like this after several months its not getting toasty at all.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230804_155122_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230804_155122_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 63
Not saying get this chain, but its an option. I run shorter lengths on smaller sprockets on a jackshaft, the chinesium gets toasty hot and rusts within months.
Who here knows of where to order "decent" 415 master links online...I know everyone knows they can be ordered easily but I'm not looking for crap and won't know the difference with looking at the generic pics online, so anyone here with personal experience of ordering them and getting a decent product?...No one in town here has them in stock, I know, I tried to find them locally today already...lol.
Well, I already have the chain ordered through my local small engine sales and repair shop,

Its actually the 415 master links that I need to know where to get some quality ones.

Back