410 or 415 chain?

gearhead437

Local time
3:30 AM
Dear Fellow Motorheads. Getting ready to install the chain. I have a brand new 410 chain from my 49cc build and a 415 chain that came with my kit. Can I use either one? I did buy a larger chain breaker for the 415 chain. Appreciate any information-Gearhead437

Either one will work. I recommend buying so.e higher quality chain later down the road. The chains that come with kits or the cheaper ones are not very good.

In fact, the chain for the Phantom is still in its packaging baggy...lol...It's running on the Zeda 80 chain which makes it about 5 years old right now...lol.

With many kits the 410 gives a snugger fit to the rear sprocket but isn't wide enough to fit the engine sprocket. The 415 will snugly fit the engine sprocket but will be slightly loose due to being wider on a stock rear sprocket.

For a perfect all around fit one could replace the 415 engine sprocket with a 410 sprocket. If you're skilled enough you could reduce the 415 teeth to 410 teeth.

With many kits the 410 gives a snugger fit to the rear sprocket but isn't wide enough to fit the engine sprocket. The 415 will snugly fit the engine sprocket but will be slightly loose due to being wider on a stock rear sprocket.

For a perfect all around fit one could replace the 415 engine sprocket with a 410 sprocket. If you're skilled enough you could reduce the 415 teeth to 410 teeth.
The sprocket I am using was also off the Zeda kit...The reason why is because the one that came with the Phantom was of a very flat looking appearance of some sort of metal, (Chinesium...lol.), but the one that came with the Zeda kit was much heavier as well as being chromed and showed next to zero wear on it despite running the Zeda for around three years or so...I haven't seen a better looking or durable 36 tooth sprocket since...It fits the chain quite snuggly too.

Really appreciate all of the replies, as that's exactly the issue I'm broaching. All of the motor mount connections are snug and not tight/locknutted yet, as I have not installed the chain and performed initial alignment. Had to buy a longer bolt for the new kickstand, Damien 1307, but it was well worth it! Kickstand folds away and sits much higher from the road than the previous one. Plus, it's more stable. Another reason that this forum rocks. Update-Drive sprocket too big for 410 chain-will have to use 415 chain-Gearhead437

Are you using a rag joint assembly to mount your rear sprocket around the spokes???

If so, You may find this quite handy to use these instructions so you can get it right the first time...lol.

Screenshot_2023-07-12_10-54-46.png

Screenshot_2023-07-12_10-55-11.png

Had to buy a longer bolt for the new kickstand, Damien 1307, but it was well worth it! Kickstand folds away and sits much higher from the road than the previous one.
I had forgotten all about that longer bolt being needed since it was 5 years ago since I had to do that too...Sorry for that omission on my part...lol.

Back