#25 chain dilemma

There's the answer then.
Also found the original sprocket and its .2 narrower possibly just from wear tho because it was used for quite a while . Gonna try shave .2 off the sprocket anyway but will still have to order another 25h chain. So no real panic but what you think is best way to remove .2mm? Have someone spin the wheel and touch it with a file? A grinder might end up removing too much what you think?

Also found the original sprocket and its .2 narrower possibly just from wear tho because it was used for quite a while . Gonna try shave .2 off the sprocket anyway but will still have to order another 25h chain. So no real panic but what you think is best way to remove .2mm? Have someone spin the wheel and touch it with a file? A grinder might end up removing too much what you think?
Have a belt sander? Grinder will work you need to have a certain finesse to do it well. I suppose if you spun it nice and fast you can just lightly bring the grinder to the outer couple cm of the sprocket. Takes time to do that but it's worth it. I'd personally try a belt sander with a medium small grain, spin the wheel and bring the sander to it so it helps to keep the wheel spinning but also cross cuts it as it spins by. A file will work but is probably the worst way to it since I see the teeth catching or knocking the file the whole way through.

Or lock a grinder in a vice or use a stationary sander, and manually feed the sprocket over it,wear heavy gloves too.

Or use a manual file to touch it up. It doesn't need to be 100% on the money, a couple tenths of a mm off will work and wear in evenly enough.

Have a belt sander? Grinder will work you need to have a certain finesse to do it well. I suppose if you spun it nice and fast you can just lightly bring the grinder to the outer couple cm of the sprocket. Takes time to do that but it's worth it. I'd personally try a belt sander with a medium small grain, spin the wheel and bring the sander to it so it helps to keep the wheel spinning but also cross cuts it as it spins by. A file will work but is probably the worst way to it since I see the teeth catching or knocking the file the whole way through.

Or lock a grinder in a vice or use a stationary sander, and manually feed the sprocket over it,wear heavy gloves too.

Or use a manual file to touch it up. It doesn't need to be 100% on the money, a couple tenths of a mm off will work and wear in evenly enough.
Don't have a sander but have some flap discs for my mini grinder think I will try that first .

Don't have a sander but have some flap discs for my mini grinder think I will try that first .
That would be a good idea, get a friend to spin the wheel or spin it yourself, if it's on a bike frame turned upside down with the pedals hooked up you can really crank it, maybe even both at the same time.

Back