Can I ride it on the road?

N

Namtraf

I live in southern Michigan and I just look at the state laws today and don't know if I can ride it on the road or not. Michigan sais a moped is under 50cc my bike is going to be 80cc. But my bike will still have pedals. I also read an article on michigan.gov that was saying that a motorized bicycle is considered a moped or a motorcycle depending on engine size. Anybody else in Michigan hav any problems with riding on the road?

Every state is different; they use different terminology, different definitions and have different laws.

Email your state dept of motor vehicles and ask them.
~

I got no grief when I was riding in Kalamazoo last year Memorial Day weekend, but there were 300 to 400 mopeds roaming the streets so I didn't really stand out.

I say ride responsibly, be friendly, love thy neighbors, and plead ignorance if you're stopped :LOL:

If your bike is over 49cc, many states consider it a motorcycle. So don't tell them yours is over 49cc

<CnC>

That's the nice thing about these Chinese motors, they have no markings indicating there CC's. I think I can get away with staying along the side of the road and slow down when I see cop. I don't know bout riding it to work though I got to go down town for that. I'll just check with my local deparment and see what the laws are so I know what I should be ignorent about.

These are not !!!!

These are not motorized bicycles. These are motor assisted bicycles. That means...Bicycles first...then small motor was added to assist in pedaling. A motorized bicycle is that which has two wheels and its only mode of propulsion is a motor. Electric or gas or steam or what ever. A motorized bicycle was never a pedal bicycle from the start. Here are the Categories.

motor Assisted bicycle

motorized bicycle

moped

scooter

motorcycle

This is from what I have found doing internet searches and from CRC statues.

The most I have found so far about Michigan law is the standard "you need a moped license or Michigan Operator (Driver's) License." Which is the standard thing about mopeds here, but mopeds also require a license sticker, and I still have no idea if I need that.

just got a ticket in waterford michigan for motor vehicle on sidewalk. 2 points on your license.. pleading ignorance didn't help. be warned... above 50 ccs it's a motorcycle.. and I've got nothing but greif from police... I regret building it.

Sorry to hear that Turner. I live in one of the old inner-ring suburbs just north of Detroit. If I rode to work, I would have to drive through six or seven different cities on the way, so this is a concern of mine as well.

just got a ticket in waterford michigan for motor vehicle on sidewalk. 2 points on your license.. pleading ignorance didn't help. be warned... above 50 ccs it's a motorcycle.. and I've got nothing but greif from police... I regret building it.

What an unjust ripoff! Around here no parking tickets count on your license, except maybe handicapped spaces and fire hydrants.

How did they even know it was you? I guess maybe your sticker?

Back