Worksman with only front brakes ???

T

Try 18972

Got an older mover trike and an old ( rebuilt ) bike bug friction drive to go on it but it only has the dual caliber \ drum ( front ) brakes. So anyone else who has worked out rear brakes please let me know what to do. I'm thinking disk or drum on the rear axle . ??? . I hope someone has found an easy fix for this basic problem and can advise me. Tom

This bike is heavy duty and I suppose went many miles over the years inside the GM plant in Middleway WV until it closed down. Jenny who worked for GM for 32 years bought the bike for her kid to ride but she was uninterested and the bike day out in the weather for some years. I saw it and bought it for $35 . The bike is truly heavy duty so after a tune up and cleaning I realized this is a forever bike. I always wanted a worksman bike and this is a nice one.I'm going to put a disk brake on the rear axle if I can figure out how. I've never seen a bike with only front brakes before but I guess it was disigned to go walking speed in the warehouse.I'll try pictures when it s done. I gotta figure out the rear brakes??? Any ideas ?? Tom

Maybe a #35 chain sprocket, with hub same size as axle. They are thin and could grind teeth off, come in all different sizes...........Curt

Now that's a thought I hadn't thunk. I will look into this. Rear brakes are a must due to the fact that it's a trike and fairly heavy. Two types of front brakes just don't cut it . I'll let you know how it works out. Tom

I am puzzled though, most Worksman have coaster brake drive hub in the rear, i know mine does.

This one is a mover model and has an aluminium trunk ( box ) on th e back not a basket . It came with both caliper and drum brakes on the front wheel only??? I assume that it was not expected to go more than walking speeds inside the factory. Purchased by GM plant in Middleway wv around 1980 or so. I'm only using a 1970's bikebug classic friction drive so she's a slow ride but still imo needs rear brakes for stability. The plant closed several years ago and I got the bike for $35 from a lady who retired from there. It sat unused outside in a flood zone since then but clean up nicely . I'm moving to crisfield md. where roads are flat so I'm looking forward to using it. I'm disabled and elderly so I worry about the rear brakes. Being on SS I don't have much money and have to scrounge old parts from the trash heap but I don't mind that.I'm an old hippy from the 60's and don't ask for much. Tommy

I a old fart also, and bought a Woeksman at a swap meet for $100, cleaned it up. Had to get new chain 3/16" wide so regular bike chain will not work. I sure enjoy pedaling mine around in the summer, not sure if i will put a motor on it or not...........Curt

Curt I built two china girl regular bikes several years ago and had good luck and fun with them . My first attempt at a trike was a schwin meridian for my wife. I went with an old bike big engine attached to the front forks turning the front wheel. It worked for her but was slow and she couldn't keep up with me. After she passed away and I got older I ended up riding it. I lived in a mobile home with a shed as a shop. The house caught fire and burned down along with the bike in the shed. A total loss .I came away with the clothes on my back and was living in my car.Two weeks later I had a car accident and totaled the car and the 2002 air bag broke ten ribs .While recovering in hospital I developed pneumonia and almost died.After that my sister took me in and I've been slowly crawling back to a life. This worksma n is a godsend for me. I'm moving from the mountains of wv to the flat lands crisfield md . This place is very very bike friendly. Heaven for me.Plus I eat blue crab . Hippy Tom

WOW! You sure have had your troubles, sure glad you are on the recovery. I do pedal bike every day, not far but keep at it helps limber up. I will be 77 on Monday, so try and stay active ...........Curt

Yes I've been slowly crawling back over time. It's been awhile , bout four years,but time moves faster at my age and so seems like only yesterday.
My bike has the bracket to add the hub for a single or three speed with coaster brakes. The one gear is bout $100 and the three speed $200. From Worksman so I gotta save money and get it done somehow. Shame they don't give old poor disabled discounts.Two thirds of poverty level sucks . Guess I 'll find a way . I did find some cables and s better caliper today on a junker in the trash so it was a good day. Tom

Back