who was it that posted about the speedo on e-bay?

yeah i tried a mechanical speedo as well. it only lasted about 2 days. (this was a new "retro" style speedo which is 98% plastic.) and at 60 k/mh, the plastic gears in the drive mechanism broke. well, it read 60 k/mh...not sure how accurate it was, but i was hauling butt when the speedo drive busted.
the gears in it were literally disintegrated, and melted. i don't think it was ever meant to go as fast as i made it go. i'm petty sure that it was designed for a peddle only bike that might hit 30 k/mh tops.
if i could find a cheap old mechanical speedo with metal gears, and that is built like they used to make 'em, i think it would last.

well i put a sheilded, resistor plug wire on my bike and tried the digital speedo.
it still does not work when the motor is running.
it does the same thing that i described before.
this stinks because i REALLY want to know how fast my bike is.
i'm trying to establish a baseline speed average before i add some hop up parts to see how much of a gain /loss i will get as far as speed goes. i'm wanting to add an expansion chamber and a high flow k&n style air filter.

Dang...hate to hear that about the spedo...well there are going to be 3 happy kids around here when I give them away.:devilish: I'm going to try and see how far the wire will stretch away from the pickup and see if it settles down. Could be vibration, or electrical field causing the problem. I have a mechanical spedo but would really like to see these things work. Nothing ventured nothing gained...at least they were cheap enough. Have 25 miles on it so far....all around the .7 mile circle I live on.

Last edited:
yeah that's the way i feel too. heck , the speedo was only $2.94 including the shipping from hong kong. i took mine all the way off of my bike except for the sensor, and laid the speedo head on the ground. it still locked up. since the sensor on the forks with the wire coming out of it was technically still touching the bike, i am thinking that it has to do with what you say. the electrical field around the bike. i can remove the entire speedo including the sensor and all that, hold the entire unit in my hand while sitting on the bike with the motor running, and it still acts up. the only way i can get it to work is without the motor running.
but it's no big loss at $2.94...but i was really hoping to make it work.

Back